Bands you've been late to the table with
(03-02-2021, 05:18 PM)Fido Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:29 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:24 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:17 PM)baggy1 Wrote: If we're going for really late to the table, it's only the last 5 years I started listening to the pre-Buggles Yes albums.

Some great stuff mixed with plenty of self-indulgent crap!

Absolutely - Roundabout is the standout for me from that era, just wish I'd listened to it 40 years ago

A US pal of mine's two favourite bands are "Yes" and "Phish". Ever given the latter a try?

Not yet but they'll be on my play list for tomorrow - ta

(03-02-2021, 05:17 PM)RAELALBION Wrote: Have discovered a lot of great bands/artists from the 70's later in life as I was only a little lad back then. Saw the Last Waltz a few years back and the Joni Mitchell appearance just blew me away, she was amazing, now I really love her music.
Early Roxy Music and Bowie's 70's albums were also never on my radar until later in life, but they are incredible. I can not believe I had never listened to Station to Station and Low until a few years back.

I came of age listening to late 80's/90's Indie, so much good stuff at that time (Sonic Youth, Pixies, The Roses, House of Love, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Dinosaur Jr)

When Bowie died I worked my way through all of his albums and had to keep checking the year they were released - they were so ahead of their time. Just Brilliant.

And I can remember listening to Roxy Music on holiday a few years back and being amazed at how good their back catalogue is. They were partially on my radar from the early 80s and Ferry's solo stuff but another one I wish I'd picked up earlier.
(03-02-2021, 05:21 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 05:18 PM)Fido Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:29 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:24 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:17 PM)baggy1 Wrote: If we're going for really late to the table, it's only the last 5 years I started listening to the pre-Buggles Yes albums.

Some great stuff mixed with plenty of self-indulgent crap!

Absolutely - Roundabout is the standout for me from that era, just wish I'd listened to it 40 years ago

A US pal of mine's two favourite bands are "Yes" and "Phish". Ever given the latter a try?

Not yet but they'll be on my play list for tomorrow - ta

"Rift" is a good listen. Very quirky stuff in places but great musicians.
(03-02-2021, 04:47 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:45 PM)Ossian Wrote: Muse, and I'm still not really there with them. I've tried, and I don't mind some of what I've heard, but I can't quite get to the stage of listening out of habit.

I was unforgivably slow in giving Stereophonics a fair listen.

Muse should press a lot of buttons for me.....but they don't!

The first three Muse albums are great. Then it all went wrong when someone said “I know, let’s be Queen... but in space!”
(03-02-2021, 05:32 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 04:45 PM)Ossian Wrote: Muse, and I'm still not really there with them. I've tried, and I don't mind some of what I've heard, but I can't quite get to the stage of listening out of habit.

The first three Muse albums are great. Then it all went wrong when someone said “I know, let’s be Queen... but in space!”

Queen in space you say! Adds Muse's 4th album to play list
(03-02-2021, 05:39 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 05:32 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Queen in space you say! Adds Muse's 4th album to play list

If you want the true “Queen in Space” experience jump straight to albums 5 & 6 - The Resistance and The 2nd Law.

They’re both shite.

RAELALBION Wrote:Have discovered a lot of great bands/artists from the 70's later in life as I was only a little lad back then. Saw the Last Waltz a few years back and the Joni Mitchell appearance just blew me away, she was amazing, now I really love her music.
Early Roxy Music and Bowie's 70's albums were also never on my radar until later in life, but they are incredible. I can not believe I had never listened to Station to Station and Low until a few years back.

I came of age listening to late 80's/90's Indie, so much good stuff at that time (Sonic Youth, Pixies, The Roses, House of Love, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Dinosaur Jr)

When Bowie died I worked my way through all of his albums and had to keep checking the year they were released - they were so ahead of their time. Just Brilliant.

And I can remember listening to Roxy Music on holiday a few years back and being amazed at how good their back catalogue is. They were partially on my radar from the early 80s and Ferry's solo stuff but another one I wish I'd picked up earlier.

You won't go far wrong with any of that. I remember, at the time, those 1st 2 Roxy albums being absolutely original.

I missed a whole state, Texas. Never gave country music much of a listen until a mate gave me a load of Americana some years back. Steve Earle, Townes van Zandt, Lucinda Williams, Joe Ely. There's so much of it you need to pick through but it's mighty stuff.
The War on Drugs 

Heard Bruce Springstein talk about them & was full of praise

Have to agree they are superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmEYgFsgyg
Blue October
(03-02-2021, 07:42 PM)Pipkins Wrote: The War on Drugs 

Heard Bruce Springstein talk about them & was full of praise

Have to agree they are superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmEYgFsgyg

War on Drugs are class, saw them live a few years back.
(03-02-2021, 12:01 PM)Peachy Wrote: The Telescopes. Largely ignored them in the early 90's as I was into all the other indie/Shoegaze stuff but recently heard a few brilliant tracks and I'm loving it.

Crikey, haven't thought of them for decades, and apparently still going.
Saw them a couple of times, most notably at the Barrel Organ supporting Thee Hypnotics.