This Big Sam love in
(03-01-2021, 02:53 PM)Sliced Wrote: We've gotten 5 points in our last 3 games after getting 12 in 23. It's not a big Sam 'love in' but it's fine to give him some credit because for the first time this season we actually look like we can compete.

On the contrary there's a large group of our fans who think giving Sam any credit whatsoever, no matter how small, is somehow a case of everyone giving him a reach-around and he doesn't deserve any praise at all.

I don't even like the bloke, but I find the desire to strip him of any credit a little embarrassing. Some "fans" genuinely seem miffed that he's actually turned us into a competitive team in the past few games.

Whilst that’s true Sliced there’s also a similar group of our fans who seem to think anyone daring to question Sam’s performance outside of the last 3 games, and expressing any concerns about the fact we won Saturday purely because BHA missed 2 penalties is blinded by the desire to appoint a progressive, tippy-tappy coach that will lead us into League One and financial oblivion.

I think the vast majority of us want Sam to do well, appreciate there are positive signs, but so far his performance has been a little underwhelming. 

Then there’s Derek who is still high from the fumes of Big Sam’s last training kit!
For me its down to one thing only....the impact on recruitment. It became obvious pretty quickly that BS was no super coach who could turn our shambles around. But what he had done is identify and address the bleeding obvious weaknesses that the team had in midfield and up front.

Shouldn't really be enough for any love in, but such has been the pain watching midfield displays over the past few years with a combination of JL, GB, CB and RS that seeing OK and AMN in the middle of the park seems a reason to rejoice. Also spending £15 million on a CF who can't play CF now seems criminal and Sam's arrival has coincided with proper striker being signed. Again, fugging hallelujah.

So yep, results have been chuff and we were reliant on incredible generosity from the fake Albion BUT we at least look like a team that can compete at this level on a regular basis and that IS an improvement.
im glad things have picked up, and the squad has improved. we look a LOT more solid. its taken time, but he's had a positive impact.
A question to all the people complaining. Who and what were you expecting after SB departed?
Shouldn’t there be a Luke Dowling love in then as it was him who signed them..... Grabs tin hat.....
Everyone on here said that the squad was shite and not good enough for this division. The new manager never claimed to have a magic wand. Did you really expect a silk purse overnight?
For me he only gets credit if we stay in the league but I certainly won't give him the majority of the blame for this season.

(03-01-2021, 03:33 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Everyone on here said that the squad was shite and not good enough for this division. The new manager never claimed to have a magic wand. Did you really expect a silk purse overnight?

He was appointed with a short term goal in mind, so that's all we can judge him from. If Allardyce thought the squad wasn't good enough he wouldn't have took the job. He thought he could keep us up. And so far he's done a poor job but that's improved from the awful job he did in his first month here. 5-0 Leeds, 4-0 Arsenal, 3-0 Villa and then losing to Blackpool in the cup. 

Results have picked up recently with the new signings so hopefully we can have a good end to the season.
Not exactly a "love-in" though is it? Many of the people who slagged him off from the start have decided to pipe down. Some are squirming almost audibly, and maybe hoping fit to bost that it all goes tits-up for him. Meanwhile in the mainstream of the Baggies community it's become acceptable to show signs of positive thinking without being shoed.

What's changed above all else is there's an acceptance that Bilic had to go because he had huge holes in his squad and in his game plan, which weren't getting fixed. That's been driven by the recruitment Sam has done and also the difficulty the existing squad had in adapting to Sam's way of playing. I've no idea why we went through weeks of utter defensive shambles after Allardyce arrived and I don't know if any other coach would have picked up more points. That's where the season was lost - if it is lost, that is.
Bit of both for me.

On the PLUS side...

5 points in 3 games is top half form. And it couldn't have come at a better time.

Sure we were lucky against Brighton - but we were unlucky against Manure and Burnley. So that balances out.

So well done Sam.

On the DOWN side...

I've said all along - under Slaven and now Sam - that we need a proper outlet up top. Sticking Diagne up there, alone, is going to lose us games. Same before with Grant and Robinson. That approach works for the last 10 minutes, if two goals up. But not for whole matches.

If we dont go for the opposition, we will lose. We're not good enough to cling onto a one goal lead.

I am not sure Sam has sussed that yet.

So... for me... wait and see....

The jury is out.
(03-01-2021, 03:29 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: A question to all the people complaining. Who and what were you expecting after SB departed?

They don't think the club should have even contemplated sacking Bilic. It is all the fault of the evil board for not spending money we don't have and then telling Bilic "Not to worry, we'll do a Norwich" as the players got fatter and slower on a weekly basis.