Steve ‘Hardman’ Baker
(02-23-2021, 08:51 PM)woodman Wrote: The govt say they are making the decisions on data but the data tells England that we should be free to go about business by April at the latest. It is completely ridiculous and there's simply no case for keeping us in.

That's the same data I'm reading. This has become about dates, not data.

Be honest folks, which of you would trust this lot to base any reopening on anything other than political expediency.

It looks like we will be the first large developed country to achieve mass vaccination yet among the last to be released from Lockdown.
(02-24-2021, 10:25 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 08:51 PM)woodman Wrote: The govt say they are making the decisions on data but the data tells England that we should be free to go about business by April at the latest. It is completely ridiculous and there's simply no case for keeping us in.

Be honest folks, which of you would trust this lot to base any reopening on anything other than political expediency.

It looks like we will be the first large developed country to achieve mass vaccination yet among the last to be released from Lockdown.

By the end of April there will only have been the 1st dose administered, there will be up to a 12 week delay after that for the 2nd dose. Inconvenient fact I know but pretty material in releasing lockdown.
Come out of the air raid shelters people, MOST of the bombers have gone.  Rolleyes
(02-24-2021, 11:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

By the end of April there will only have been the 1st dose administered, there will be up to a 12 week delay after that for the 2nd dose. Inconvenient fact I know but pretty material in releasing lockdown.

Maybe, but I'll be watching developments in other countries with interest - particularly as the UK is so far ahead.
(02-23-2021, 08:51 PM)woodman Wrote: I've heard him speak. He's not a covid denier at all. That as usual is a term bandied around by those too lazy to even consider the damage being done to people through all the non covid issues I'm not going to repeat. I don't much like his politics but he at least has been asking for a proper analysis of lockdown costs. That would be a good thing wouldnt it.

The govt say they are making the decisions on data but the data tells England that we should be free to go about business by April at the latest. It is completely ridiculous and there's simply no case for keeping us in.

Baker isnt but its a phrase labelled by people like East Midlands Baggie & Derek Hardballs because it makes them feel important when really they are bigger dicks then Baker
(02-24-2021, 12:27 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

Maybe, but I'll be watching developments in other countries with interest - particularly as the UK is so far ahead.

Conveniently watching other countries for that but ignoring other countries who have been more successful in containing the virus with strict lockdowns, like Australia and NZ, I'd imagine. If you haven't learned by now that opening up too quickly allows more spread which ultimately results in longer lockdowns then you're daft Proth. We had 70k excess deaths in the 1st wave followed by 40k excess deaths to date in the second wave with the latter caused by ignoring the signs and thinking we know better. Watch away and complain about your civil liberties being transgressed but then don't scratch your head when we head into another fucking lockdown later on in the year.

(02-25-2021, 09:35 AM)Madness Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 08:51 PM)woodman Wrote: I've heard him speak. He's not a covid denier at all. That as usual is a term bandied around by those too lazy to even consider the damage being done to people through all the non covid issues I'm not going to repeat. I don't much like his politics but he at least has been asking for a proper analysis of lockdown costs. That would be a good thing wouldnt it.

The govt say they are making the decisions on data but the data tells England that we should be free to go about business by April at the latest. It is completely ridiculous and there's simply no case for keeping us in.

Baker isnt but its a phrase labelled by people like East Midlands Baggie & Derek Hardballs because it makes them feel important when really they are bigger dicks then Baker

Edgy  Big Grin
(02-25-2021, 09:45 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Conveniently watching other countries for that but ignoring other countries who have been more successful in containing the virus with strict lockdowns, like Australia and NZ, I'd imagine. If you haven't learned by now that opening up too quickly allows more spread which ultimately results in longer lockdowns then you're daft Proth. We had 70k excess deaths in the 1st wave followed by 40k excess deaths to date in the second wave with the latter caused by ignoring the signs and thinking we know better. Watch away and complain about your civil liberties being transgressed but then don't scratch your head when we head into another fucking lockdown later on in the year.

I don't think it's particularly helpful to compare the UK with Australia or New Zealand.

Yes, we have had an awful excess death rate. Yes, the Inquiry that will follow will draw conclusions about the timing and extent of Lockdowns.

But yet again it appears we're being driven by dates and not data. You can't tell me to trust in the data for the best part of a year, then tell me to start trusting in dates instead.
Well let's compare the UK with the UK then, last summer we all rushed to eat out to help out, got the kids back into schools and enjoyed our freedom. Numbers in hospital with covid went from less than 1k in the middle of September to over 10k 6 weeks later.

We want the vaccine to allow us more freedoms but there are no guarantees so let's stop gambling and take the slow measured approach this time and do it right.
(02-25-2021, 10:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Well let's compare the UK with the UK then, last summer we all rushed to eat out to help out, got the kids back into schools and enjoyed our freedom. Numbers in hospital with covid went from less than 1k in the middle of September to over 10k 6 weeks later.

We want the vaccine to allow us more freedoms but there are no guarantees so let's stop gambling and take the slow measured approach this time and do it right.

Also, Scotland has been a lot more cautious with their reopening and now kids are going back to school sooner than they are in England.
(02-25-2021, 10:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Well let's compare the UK with the UK then, last summer we all rushed to eat out to help out, got the kids back into schools and enjoyed our freedom. Numbers in hospital with covid went from less than 1k in the middle of September to over 10k 6 weeks later.

So we should follow the data then. Good.

It's not a gamble if we follow the data is it?