Livermore / Field
Other than Man City, when he was put on the wing by Pardew. I'm yet to see Field gave a bad game for us. Yet he gets overlooked for players that have long runs of poor form. Megson had him as one of the first names on the team sheet in the Premier league, and I trust his judgement.

Sadly injuries certainly have not helped, but I'd like to see him get a chance at least. Still need to sign a CM though.
Field and Harper would do no worse than Sawyers and Livermore.

They would however have the potential to improve.
(01-20-2021, 11:02 AM)brada_wba Wrote: Field and Harper would do no worse than Sawyers and Livermore.

They would however have the potential to improve.

yes!
(01-20-2021, 10:52 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Other than Man City, when he was put on the wing by Pardew. I'm yet to see Field gave a bad game for us. Yet he gets overlooked for players that have long runs of poor form. Megson had him as one of the first names on the team sheet in the Premier league, and I trust his judgement.

Sadly injuries certainly have not helped, but I'd like to see him get a chance at least. Still need to sign a CM though.

Spot on! That list of stats says it all too. Better in every department over Livermore.

Does anybody know when Jakes contract is up? I’d be gutted if he got offered a new one.
(01-20-2021, 11:50 AM)MozzasRocket Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 10:52 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Other than Man City, when he was put on the wing by Pardew. I'm yet to see Field gave a bad game for us. Yet he gets overlooked for players that have long runs of poor form. Megson had him as one of the first names on the team sheet in the Premier league, and I trust his judgement.

Spot on! That list of stats says it all too. Better in every department over Livermore.

Does anybody know when Jakes contract is up? I’d be gutted if he got offered a new one.

I just don't see how Field would be such an improvement. For me, he's not as good as Livermore all round but I would accept that it's very much horses for courses with our midfield not being blessed with all the attributes it takes to be a complete centre midfielder. I actually think that our midfield needs to be more dynamic, athletic with a bit of height to it, someone that can actually run (Field can't). This won't come cheap if you want them ready made but there is a market out there for them that have potential (Gallagher when he passes better). The nearest we had to this in recemt times was probably Mulumbu, his passing was sometimes draedful but we had other players around him that can do that (it's why we keep picking Sawyers now to an extent).
MrFizz Wrote:I'd just like to see the guy get a run of 3-4 games to see how he gets on. When he has played the odd game he's done nothing wrong, been tidy in posession, won tackles and generally broken up the oppositions play. We say we need a player like that, well we might already have one, but if he doesn't get a decent chance how do we know?

This. Let's have a look at him and then we'll know. I haven't seen him do anything wrong as yet. Maybe he would have got some game time as a sub (injury permitting), if we had ever been in the position of defending a comfortable lead. I don't think that will happen anytime soon, somehow.
(01-20-2021, 10:51 AM)MrFizz Wrote: I'd just like to see the guy get a run of 3-4 games to see how he gets on. When he has played the odd game he's done nothing wrong, been tidy in posession, won tackles and generally broken up the oppositions play. We say we need a player like that, well we might already have one, but if he doesn't get a decent chance how do we know?

Absolutely spot on Fizz. My thoughts exactly.
(01-20-2021, 11:57 AM)Lightnin Wrote: I just don't see how Field would be such an improvement. For me, he's not as good as Livermore all round but I would accept that it's very much horses for courses with our midfield not being blessed with all the attributes it takes to be a complete centre midfielder. I actually think that our midfield needs to be more dynamic, athletic with a bit of height to it, someone that can actually run (Field can't). This won't come cheap if you want them ready made but there is a market out there for them that have potential (Gallagher when he passes better). The nearest we had to this in recemt times was probably Mulumbu, his passing was sometimes draedful but we had other players around him that can do that (it's why we keep picking Sawyers now to an extent).

The stats show that he is an improvement in all areas of his game mate, that’s my original point. As for him having legs, he scored a really nice goal last season running deep from midfield. Same for the goals he scored when we were in the premier league too, so I dunno where the he has no legs come from. Again not saying he’s rapid but he has more legs and more about his overall game than Jake.
I've never understood the can't run argument either. His goals have come from running deep from midfield.

If he's given a role to do, he does it, sometimes that means he isn't running around everywhere like Gallagher, but he covers grown just as well as Livermore or Sawyers does.