Well well well
(09-26-2020, 09:27 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 09:26 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 09:23 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 09:22 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 09:14 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Yep.

I’ve seen enough from tonight and Everton to know we can compete.

Krov, Gallagher, Hegazi, Ivanovic and Grant will only add depth and options.

We can compete, but competing and winning games are 2 different things. We threw away a 3-0 lead... 

The last 2 games have shown what many of us have been saying for a while.... our attack will cause problems, and on our day we’ll give anyone a game, but our midfield is too easily broken, and our defence has more holes than the FFP rules in Aston. Teams that concede 11 goals in 3 games don’t survive.

How does today fit in with the theory that we're one of the worst PL teams of all time, comparable to Derby and Sunderland?

1 point from 3 games is 13 points in a season Wink

We’ll be more competitive than those teams, but if we don’t improve our defending I can’t see us getting a lot of points. Throwing a 3 goal lead away is never acceptable!

Good point, I forgot all Prem teams were the quality of Leicester, Everton and Chelsea

Exactly FFS. They literally threw 100s of millions on to get the goal at the end.

Let's see what we do next 2 games. Southampton and Burnley. If we can secure a win from those 2 we will have a chance this year.
I also believe that Gallagher’s energy will help us going forward.

Robinson will surprise a few this season but we need someone to give him competition

We can compete, but competing and winning games are 2 different things. We threw away a 3-0 lead... 

The last 2 games have shown what many of us have been saying for a while.... our attack will cause problems, and on our day we’ll give anyone a game, but our midfield is too easily broken, and our defence has more holes than the FFP rules in Aston. Teams that concede 11 goals in 3 games don’t survive.

We threw away a 3 goal lead. Correct, however, Chelsea’s equalising goal was handball and the guy that hand balled it cost more than our entire team. 

I’d reverse the point and say, what team in recent memory has gone 3 goals to the good against Chelsea? Plus we were set to take something from the match at Goodison until Gibbs lost his head. Would we have conceded 5 with 11 men on the pitch? I’m not sure we would.

And we won’t play team with the class of Leicester, Chelsea and Everton every week. They’ll all be top 6.
(09-26-2020, 10:01 PM)Dumbo Wrote:

We threw away a 3 goal lead. Correct, however, Chelsea’s equalising goal was handball and the guy that hand balled it cost more than our entire team. 

I’d reverse the point and say, what team in recent memory has gone 3 goals to the good against Chelsea? Plus we were set to take something from the match at Goodison until Gibbs lost his head. Would we have conceded 5 with 11 men on the pitch? I’m not sure we would.

And we won’t play team with the class of Leicester, Chelsea and Everton every week. They’ll all be top 6.

Some good points but i'm not sure all 3 will be top 6
(09-26-2020, 10:09 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

They'll certainly all be top 8
I think top 6.67
Plenty of positives from this evenings performance
(09-26-2020, 10:16 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 10:09 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

They'll certainly all be top 8

Well 1 of Liverpool, Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal. Everton, Leicester and Wolves, will have to finish outside the top 8 .

Might be a season which sees the lowest points total ever for the side finishing 17th.
Today's performance was hugely encouraging. No matter how you choose to analyse it, we were a little unlucky not to hold out for the win. The tidal wave of negativity on here has been over the top. There are some posters who will be reluctant to change their view or admit that their reaction has been a tad hysterical. It's all to play for this season IMO.

And a special mention for Bartley - not my favourite player by a very long chalk. Today he was immense.
(09-26-2020, 09:35 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Get a top striker up front and we win that hands  down .someone who can take the pressure off .

I thought Robinson played like a top striker. I don't understand the take away from this game was we need another attacking option. I think we need better rb/lb/cb.