My first trip the the Hawthorns......
garyowensneck Wrote:
JOK Wrote:Turns out I had been misremembering for decades. I had it in my mind that my first game was Boxing Day 1970 v L’pool. Found out, subsequently, that it was actually 27th December 1971.
1-0, Bomber. Missed the goal queuing up at the turnstiles. 44,000 crowd. Had to stand on the steps to the left of the Brummie and was only able to see 2/3rds of the pitch. It was cold and misty and my crisps got crushed to dust in my pocket but I was hooked.

I was there, Bomber's early goal then the Graham Smith point blank wonder save from Keegan in that match.
Me too. The pressure from Liverpool was unbearable for 85 minutes and the relief at the final whistle was fantastic. Albion were bottom and had lost 7 successive games before this game and no one expected anything other than another defeat. The victory kick-started the escape from relegation and in the following game on New Years Day we won 3-2 at Ipswich after being 2 down.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Images/newspa...20brom.JPG
(08-29-2020, 06:50 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 06:41 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: Wimbledon 2-0 win in FA Cup was my first game. Followed by the puddle putting us past Charlton at my second game (Tony Ford with the assist).

Stuart Naylor won us that day, but Colin Walsh did everything but score. In fact, I bet he went home that night and he spaffed all over the bedclothes before Mrs Walsh had even got her smalls off.

Big Grin  Tit

That Wimbledon win was impressive - winners 18 months before and a good Div 1 side. Barmy Bob admitted our pace killed them - and they had a mobile back 4. 

We really should not have sold Bartlett

Aye. Bartlett was ace. Got kicked about AOTS in those days mind. 

I don’t know the ins and outs of why it went to shit. Didn’t Talbot get the job by default after Anderson got shat on, or something?
(08-30-2020, 10:04 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 06:41 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: Wimbledon 2-0 win in FA Cup was my first game. Followed by the puddle putting us past Charlton at my second game (Tony Ford with the assist).

Stuart Naylor won us that day, but Colin Walsh did everything but score. In fact, I bet he went home that night and he spaffed all over the bedclothes before Mrs Walsh had even got her smalls off.

Big Grin  Tit

That Wimbledon win was impressive - winners 18 months before and a good Div 1 side. Barmy Bob admitted our pace killed them - and they had a mobile back 4. 

I don’t know the ins and outs of why it went to shit. Didn’t Talbot get the job by default after Anderson got shat on, or something?

Fat Ron says he was promised cash and a contract extension - but Silk would only provide it if he got us promoted. 

Suspect RA would have walked for an extra tenner a week anyway. Talbot was seen as caretaker but did incredibly well so was duly appointed. It went to shite when Talbot retired from playing and lost his on pitch influence. He was also largely a poor judge in the transfer market.
(08-29-2020, 02:24 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Dunno the year.  6-3 v Man Utd.  Best, Law and Charlton played but it was The King that got the hat trick. It took forever and a day to get there as I was planted outside every pub on the way with a bottle of vimto.  I remember precisely nothing about the game, although I apparently banged on about the floodlights for a long time after. Probably the strangest, least rewarding, love affair of my entire life and I wouldn't change a thing.

Monday. 29th April 1968. I was in the Rainbow Upper. Its reckoned there were over 50k in the ground though I think the official attendance was given as 45000. Kidd scored two late consolation goals as Albion had led 6-1.
(08-31-2020, 08:02 AM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:04 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:

Big Grin  Tit

Fat Ron says he was promised cash and a contract extension - but Silk would only provide it if he got us promoted. 

Suspect RA would have walked for an extra tenner a week anyway. Talbot was seen as caretaker but did incredibly well so was duly appointed. It went to shite when Talbot retired from playing and lost his on pitch influence. He was also largely a poor judge in the transfer market.

Wor the brightest either. Should never really have been given the role I guess.
0-0 Sheff Weds. First game of the 68-69 season. Should've realised what was to come. Then again my next game was a night match v Man Utd. Won 3-1 despite Best, Law, Charlton et al. Someone earlier says we were a Liverpool bogey team. Possibly for about 5 mins I reckon. But United I think we definitely were as I never saw us lose at home against them for years.
(08-30-2020, 07:55 AM)JOK Wrote: Turns out I had been misremembering for decades. I had it in my mind that my first game was Boxing Day 1970 v L’pool. Found out, subsequently, that it was actually 27th December 1971.
1-0, Bomber. Missed the goal queuing up at the turnstiles. 44,000 crowd. Had to stand on the steps to the left of the Brummie and was only able to see 2/3rds of the pitch. It was cold and misty and my crisps got crushed to dust in my pocket but I was hooked.

My first game too! We were also late in and missed the goal! I was armed with tooty fruities.