My first trip the the Hawthorns......
..was exactly 50 years ago today.  

29th August 1970 vs Liverpool.  Ex-Ding Alun Evans for them; the King equalised in the 80th minute in front of 31,624 spectators.   Well, that was me hooked aged 5.

Got me thinking about other people's first trips to the Shrine.   I think it was CIM who mentioned in another thread that his first game was the 0-4 shoeing that Jack Charlton's Boro gave us in 1974.   Don't think I would have gone back for more after that, it could have been 10 !   And Cornish's never to be beaten first game at the 68 Cup Final  (not at the Hawthorns I know, but you get my drift).

There must be some horror stories out there, or highly misleading 5-0 wins, surely ?
My first game was in 1972.

I remember we played Swindon and won 2-0.

I seem to recall it was a League Cup match, but can't remember the date.
6th May 1974.
Tony Brown's testimonial match.
1979/80 18th Aug. Derby at home 0-0.
March 76, beat Bolton 2-0. Enjoying reading about it right now in the excellent 1976 and all That book.
(08-29-2020, 10:22 AM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: ..was exactly 50 years ago today.  

29th August 1970 vs Liverpool.  Ex-Ding Alun Evans for them; the King equalised in the 80th minute in front of 31,624 spectators.   Well, that was me hooked aged 5.

Got me thinking about other people's first trips to the Shrine.   I think it was CIM who mentioned in another thread that his first game was the 0-4 shoeing that Jack Charlton's Boro gave us in 1974.   Don't think I would have gone back for more after that, it could have been 10 !   And Cornish's never to be beaten first game at the 68 Cup Final  (not at the Hawthorns I know, but you get my drift).

There must be some horror stories out there, or highly misleading 5-0 wins, surely ?

My first game was Astle's home debut against the d1ngle5, 10th October 1964.  

5-1.  Jeff scored 2.

(08-29-2020, 10:30 AM)Supamart Wrote: My first game was in 1972.

I remember we played Swindon and won 2-0.

I seem to recall it was a League Cup match, but can't remember the date.

30th January 1973 Mart. 

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to...m2_id=2519
5th October 1988 v Bournemouth. 0-0.
Att 7,248.

Oh the glamour.

This was 3 years after my first Albion game away at Villa for that friendly. Dad must have got fed up of me pestering him.
Bonfire night 1977 vs Leicester as a 6 year old.
Won 2-0
My daughters first game was against Spurs in barmy sunny weather when Livermore scored an injury time winner that gave us some hope. All the things that are opposite to what many had to endure for their first game.
26th February 1983 v Arsenal. 0-0
Att: 14,507

Notable in that Pat Jennings became the first player to play 1000 first team games that day. Other than I remember Arsenal playing in green and black stripes I can't remember anything else of note.

Sat in the upper Rainbow on an uncomfortable wooden seat and shared my dad's bovril.

...... God I miss the Hawthorns.......  Sad
(08-29-2020, 12:32 PM)Peachy Wrote: 26th February 1983 v Arsenal. 0-0
Att: 14,507

Notable in that Pat Jennings became the first player to play 1000 first team games that day. Other than I remember Arsenal playing in green and black stripes I can't remember anything else of note.

Sat in the upper Rainbow on an uncomfortable wooden seat and shared my dad's bovril.

...... God I miss the Hawthorns.......  Sad
That was my first game too. I  was sat in the Halfords. Garry Thompson's debut as well I think?