Summer Transfer Window Thread
(08-14-2020, 04:44 PM)Squid Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 02:59 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 02:56 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Jeff Hendrick and Ryan Fraser now being mooted as additions.

On frees both would be great, as we sorely need bodies in those roles.

Does feel a little like our commitment to lowering the squad age is going out the window here... Wink

28 and 26 respectively, it's not a massive issue, and i am certainly in favour of lowering the average age of our squad.

With Fraser think there is a possibility of making a profit - he needs to up his game, think he was poor (mainly in terms of attitude) for Bournemouth last season.

Having fumigated the dressing room from one lot of toxic-attitude-having tossers, we cannot be accumulating more. I don't want anyone with the stench of relegation on them, unless they are truly exceptional.

I think we'll get Duffy, Krov, Robinson, A Left Back, a Striker and a GK on a free.

I think we’ll have to pay for at least one of them....

We also have to sign at least one winger... Robinson, Phillips and Grosicki can’t be our only options.
(08-14-2020, 05:09 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 04:44 PM)Squid Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 02:59 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 02:56 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Jeff Hendrick and Ryan Fraser now being mooted as additions.

On frees both would be great, as we sorely need bodies in those roles.

Does feel a little like our commitment to lowering the squad age is going out the window here... Wink

28 and 26 respectively, it's not a massive issue, and i am certainly in favour of lowering the average age of our squad.

With Fraser think there is a possibility of making a profit - he needs to up his game, think he was poor (mainly in terms of attitude) for Bournemouth last season.

Having fumigated the dressing room from one lot of toxic-attitude-having tossers, we cannot be accumulating more. I don't want anyone with the stench of relegation on them, unless they are truly exceptional.

I think we'll get Duffy, Krov, Robinson, A Left Back, a Striker and a GK on a free.

I think we’ll have to pay for at least one of them....

We also have to sign at least one winger... Robinson, Phillips and Grosicki can’t be our only options.

Surprised Phillips isn't on the get rid list. Unless we are hoping his brief blistering burst of form will grab us some essential points.

Isn't he out of contract soon too?
The thing about this thread is it's the same blokes that were all '85 points will get us promotion/They can't catch us/they aren't Barcelona' but who subsequently wet their pants when it nearly went Tits up, that are again 'it's all bollox/we don't know whats going on/ funny how we always get like this'.
The truth is we need to make a number of signings this season to be able to stay up at best, especially as the chances that Diang will stay
are about the same as Lukaku - NIL.
We need to make a start on building a squad - soon. Not the stellar signings we hope for.
The 'soldiers' who will do a job for us and the lack of any activity is concerning.
I have faith as their are some equally poor squads in the bottom 6/7 of the Prm at the moment but I will make one prediction.
The 'Too cool for School kids' on this thread will be bleating in a few weeks time.
Jon Obi Mikel on a free. Released by mutual consent from his club in Turkey. Bit of experience wouldn’t go amiss but at 33, wasn’t really what we we’re planning
Ivo Grbic apparently chose Athletico Madrid over us, I mean c'mon...what kind of choice is that? Madrid over West Brom / Brum, what a silly player!, He knew Slav well and still went elsewhere...so much for the Slav pulling factor Wink

Mebbe he just prefers Spanish food??
(08-15-2020, 07:00 AM)Lightnin Wrote: Jon Obi Mikel on a free. Released by mutual consent from his club in Turkey. Bit of experience wouldn’t go amiss but at 33, wasn’t really what we we’re planning

Joining stoke
(08-15-2020, 08:16 AM)mattaky Wrote:
(08-15-2020, 07:00 AM)Lightnin Wrote: Jon Obi Mikel on a free. Released by mutual consent from his club in Turkey. Bit of experience wouldn’t go amiss but at 33, wasn’t really what we we’re planning

Joining stoke

Good.
From the Athletic:

We need a GK, left back and a holding midfielder. Pereira will cost £8.25 million and a deal to sign Filip Krovinovic from Benfica is anticipated to cost roughly the same, although Albion will still hope to negotiate a second season on loan with further obligations dependent on performance.

Callum Robinson will cost similar and we are looking to loan Diangana again, but that is likely to be a seven figure fee. All three clubs are willing to do business.

As we already knew, we have a lot to buy and not much money to do it with.
(08-15-2020, 09:12 AM)Squid Wrote: From the Athletic:

We need a GK, left back and a holding midfielder. Pereira will cost £8.25 million and a deal to sign Filip Krovinovic from Benfica is anticipated to cost roughly the same, although Albion will still hope to negotiate a second season on loan with further obligations dependent on performance.

Callum Robinson will cost similar and we are looking to loan Diangana again, but that is likely to be a seven figure fee. All three clubs are willing to do business.

As we already knew, we have a lot to buy and not much money to do it with.

The concern here is we seem to be be focusing on keeping the same players from last season, which is great if we’re planning for another season at the top of the Champ, but we’re not.

Robinson at 8m is desperation. There are better players out there for that fee.

If our shopping list is Krov, Diangana, Robinson, a GK, an LB and an MC we may as well just accept relegation and not put ourselves through the hassle of next season.

We need a GK + a 3rd choice, an LB, a CB, an RB, an MC, cover at AMC, 2 wide players and at least one striker at present. They don’t have to all be first team players, but this is the problem when you rely on loans for promotion.
Why is Robinson desperation good player and can play in a couple of forward positions. Why can’t we just trust Dowling to get in the players that Bilic wants, it worked last season. If he wants to retain Krov, Diangana and Robinson I don’t have a problem with that. They will bring in players but remember we’re in an pecking order. We are also in strange times so let’s wait and see.