Summer Transfer Window Thread
How William linked from Wigan.

Never heard of him myself but Wigan fans saying he’s quality.
Toney has stood out at League One level. To trust him to make the jump to Premier League level, bypassing the championship is very ambitious.

I seem to remember another Peterborough player recently who was regarded as the best in League One. If anyones wondering what happened to Marcus Maddison he went on loan to Hull to replace Bowen where he was rubbish (according to Hull fans) and is currently making instagram posts about how he hasn't had any offers as a free agent while begging for Sunderland to sign him up.

If Toney is a third choice striker then fine, he can work his way up, but if we're supposed to be reliant on him then that's a problem.
(08-12-2020, 12:44 PM)Sliced Wrote: Toney has stood out at League One level. To trust him to make the jump to Premier League level, bypassing the championship is very ambitious.

I seem to remember another Peterborough player recently who was regarded as the best in League One. If anyones wondering what happened to Marcus Maddison he went on loan to Hull to replace Bowen where he was rubbish (according to Hull fans) and is currently making instagram posts about how he hasn't had any offers as a free agent while begging for Sunderland to sign him up.

If Toney is a third choice striker then fine, he can work his way up, but if we're supposed to be reliant on him then that's a problem.

For every Maddison, there is a Jamie Vardy. 

Some make the step up, some don’t. I’ve seen enough of him to think he’s got the ability to succeed. Do I think he should be our only striker and main striker going in to the season? No.
(08-12-2020, 01:05 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 12:44 PM)Sliced Wrote: Toney has stood out at League One level. To trust him to make the jump to Premier League level, bypassing the championship is very ambitious.

For every Maddison, there is a Jamie Vardy. 

Some make the step up, some don’t. I’ve seen enough of him to think he’s got the ability to succeed. Do I think he should be our only striker and main striker going in to the season? No.

No there isn't, that's why when any striker goes from non-league or the lower leagues to Champ or Premier League the media inevitably says "Could they be the next Jamie Vardy?". He's quoted so much because he's an exceptional case.

For every Jamie Vardy there are 100's upon 100's of Maddisons.
I rate Toney, and a couple of mates who are STH at Posh are in no doubt whatsoever that he can step up. I think he was at Newcastle prior to going to Posh. Perhaps a late developer? At the right price he is well worth a punt. Cannot possibly be a worse option than Zohore !
Dele Alli is another who stepped up from lower leagues to PL.

Admittedly I’m struggling to come up with more...
(08-12-2020, 09:24 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 09:20 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 08:46 AM)Peachy Wrote: Ivan Toney and Fraser from Bournemouth both being linked again this morning.

Toney for £4m would be a good wild card, along with someone like Grant. Both a good age and would be solid Championship players should the worst happen.

Add Krov, Fraser and Duffy and we're starting to come together.

Grant

Pereira
Krov
Fraser

Sawyers
Livermore

Gibbs
Duffy
Ajayi
OShea

Johnstone

Personally think that team looks weaker than the one that gained us promotion last season.

Fraser > Diangana 
Duffy > Hegazi 
Grant > HRK / Austin

It’s an improvement, but it’s not good enough.

(08-12-2020, 01:36 PM)Duffers Wrote: Dele Alli is another who stepped up from lower leagues to PL.

There haven’t been many at all, there have been players who’ve done the business in League One that have gone on to to PL via the Champ but not many have made the step up. I’m not necessarily sure this is down to their lack of ability to step up, but moreso PL teams having the resources to not take the risk, and to be able to pluck them from the Championship if they prove capable.

Toney’s fee needs to reflect the global pandemic and the fact he’s a League One striker... anything over 3-4m upfront is too much. Anything over that needs to be based on add-ons
(08-12-2020, 01:36 PM)Duffers Wrote: Dele Alli is another who stepped up from lower leagues to PL.

Dwight Gayle. Austin another one who started in football quote late.

James Maddison
Half the Wolves squad I suppose, given they started in the championship.
There used to be more (Albion teams of the past relied on that stream of talent) but I guess academies now get most young talent. There will be some out there.
I'd much rather Toney than Grant. Everytime I've seen Grant he's looked like a player who thinks he's better than he is. Strolls a bit for me.

Toney looks raw but hungry. Hell have a point to prove too as he was released by Newcastle before dropping down. I'd have a pop at £5m. Can't really lose at that sort of money.