MCW Thread - chef knives
(06-08-2020, 07:22 PM)Peachy Wrote: I always go Japanese wooden handle knives. As long as you have a decent sharpener you can't go wrong. I normally spend £40-£50 on a decent knife as I love my cooking.

I bought a brilliant sharpener on Amazon for £30 and it makes all the difference.

Think we may need a cooking bored.  Seriously .
(06-08-2020, 06:34 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Baggie Nick bought a decent set some years ago.  Be interested to hear how he’s getting on with them or if they were fake?

Globals are fine, mate. A great deal from Aldi at the time. The curved veg knife is really nice.

But as daft as it sounds my chefs chef's knife I purchased from IKEA some years ago is my favourite. It's got a nice but of weight behind if where the Global knives are quite light. Each to his/her own but I prefer a weightier knife. Globals are quality though.
(06-08-2020, 07:52 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 07:22 PM)Peachy Wrote: I always go Japanese wooden handle knives. As long as you have a decent sharpener you can't go wrong. I normally spend £40-£50 on a decent knife as I love my cooking.

I bought a brilliant sharpener on Amazon for £30 and it makes all the difference.

Think we may need a cooking bored.  Seriously .

This one is a fantastic knife (the veg one).

Knife
(06-08-2020, 07:02 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: I have a Sabatier 9 inch (oo-er missus!) which I use for most cutting and chopping but also a much thinner bladed, similar length Global knife for slicing Jamon and so forth wafer-fin.  The Sabatier sharpens quickly but dulls pretty quick too while the Global is razor-sharp and rarely needs sharpening. i.e. the opposite of what Salter Spring says. When I was a chef Sabatiers were de rigeur but that was a long long time ago.

Innuedno aside, I think this is the most MCW post ever written on here...

100% on Global!
You’re just jealous of my big hard one.
Got some C.P. Company knives with goggles in them, seriously, a Knife is a fucking knife Shirley? Saying that I have had to get the plasterboard saw out the garage to tackle some of the missus’s piss poor efforts in the kitchen.
Have some Berlinger Haus santoku knives, very good with even weight, don't cost an arm and a leg and easy to sharpen.
I can get a Victorinox or Sabatier for 50 or so euros (Globals and Wusthofs are more around 100) so I reckon I'll treat myself to one of them.

@Peachy - Can I ask which Japanese knife you got for £50? Also if you could link the sharpener you got that would be great? There's a lot of chat in forums etc that you need 3 different whetstones and the knowledge to use them....Sounds like they've disappeared up their own arses a bit though.

Another thing I'm definitely investing in is a magnetic knife strip. A decent knife shouldn't be going in a drawer/drying rack.
BBC Good Food knife sharpener guide attached........

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/best-...eners-test

...... I use a hand held sharpener similar to a couple in the guide, although mine's not on there. I bought it from TK Maxx the same time I got our knives and block. Knives and sharpener came to a much reduced cost of £20 in a sale about fifteen years ago.

May replace the knives in a couple of years but they're still going strong for now. Whatever happens I've no intention of spending shit loads when they need replacing. I nearly always find fault with things so there's little point as I wouldn't want to feel as though I'd wasted my money.