WBAUnofficial
MCW Thread - chef knives - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: MCW Thread - chef knives (/showthread.php?tid=10656)

Pages: 1 2

MCW Thread - chef knives - ChamonixBaggie - 06-08-2020

anyone here splashed a bit of decent money on a chef knife for home use? I'm a pretty keen home cook and am currently using whatever cheapo thing we got from the supermarket, which is shite and I'm sick of trying to hone it every time I use it. 

A standard 8 inch/210 cm chef knife is the knife you use for 90 of kitchen tasks and if you like to cook then its worth spending a bit of cash on I reckon. 

The choice is generally between Japanese or German for a decent knife, though the K Sabatier French ones also have a good reputation. 

Anyone have a personal recommendation available in Europe for under £100? Wusthof Ikon, MAC, K Sabatier are ones I've seen recommended online for a smaller budget.

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - BAGGIEGRIFF - 06-08-2020

(06-08-2020, 04:30 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: anyone here splashed a bit of decent money on a chef knife for home use? I'm a pretty keen home cook and am currently using whatever cheapo thing we got from the supermarket, which is shite and I'm sick of trying to hone it every time I use it. 

A standard 8 inch/210 cm chef knife is the knife you use for 90 of kitchen tasks and if you like to cook then its worth spending a bit of cash on I reckon. 

The choice is generally between Japanese or German for a decent knife, though the K Sabatier French ones also have a good reputation. 

Anyone have a personal recommendation available in Europe for under £100? Wusthof Ikon, MAC, K Sabatier are ones I've seen recommended online for a smaller budget.

Victorinox which are Swiss are good, I personally have Sabatier and 2 Swibo's which I have had for nigh on 40 years as an ex butcher, also depends on what and how you sharpen them with.

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - Salter Spring - 06-08-2020

(06-08-2020, 04:30 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: anyone here splashed a bit of decent money on a chef knife for home use? I'm a pretty keen home cook and am currently using whatever cheapo thing we got from the supermarket, which is shite and I'm sick of trying to hone it every time I use it. 

I have some Global knives which are very good when sharp however they do require sharpening fairly often.  IIRC Japanese knives tend to be sharper but require more looking after...in hindsight I would go European if I was investing again.  I believe Wusthof and Zwilling are both brands worth looking at.

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - ChamonixBaggie - 06-08-2020

yeah I'd heard the Japanese knives tended to be more brittle. I've been idly following reddit/r/chefknives for a while and picked up a couple of bits.

For a European 'starter' knife a Wusthof ikon or Victorinox fibrox is probably a good start. Buying and learning how to use a whetstone is the next step....

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - MassDebater - 06-08-2020

My first ever gf went to Brum catering college, they insisted that they all had Sabatier knives, brilliant things that should last almost a lifetime.

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - Fulham Fallout - 06-08-2020

Baggie Nick bought a decent set some years ago. Be interested to hear how he’s getting on with them or if they were fake?

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - baggpuss - 06-08-2020

Sabatier, Zwilling, our very own Taylor's Eye Witness all very decent.
You can often find decent knives in TK Maxx - when it opens again of course.
Ceramic knives are uber sharp (Top Tip - DON'T decide to wash one late on NYE!)  but can chip and break quite easily.

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - Brentbaggie - 06-08-2020

I have a Sabatier 9 inch (oo-er missus!) which I use for most cutting and chopping but also a much thinner bladed, similar length Global knife for slicing Jamon and so forth wafer-fin. The Sabatier sharpens quickly but dulls pretty quick too while the Global is razor-sharp and rarely needs sharpening. i.e. the opposite of what Salter Spring says. When I was a chef Sabatiers were de rigeur but that was a long long time ago.

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - Peachy - 06-08-2020

I always go Japanese wooden handle knives. As long as you have a decent sharpener you can't go wrong. I normally spend £40-£50 on a decent knife as I love my cooking. 

I bought a brilliant sharpener on Amazon for £30 and it makes all the difference.

RE: MCW Thread - chef knives - Tom Joad - 06-08-2020

Sabatiers are great but you really don't need to spend that much on a knife to get quality. I'd just stay away from the Celeb chef stuff and buy something that will stand repeated sharpening. I've had a couple of £30 knives for years and see no need to spend any more. Whatever you buy, it should last you a very long time.