Running Clique
100km for the month gonna see if I can do it again next month. Although if the weather picks up gotta start some cycling too.
Good going Beijing - that's pretty impressive mate having an average of over 3.5k a day.

I managed a 27:21 5k at lunchtime and am working back to last summers runs of sub 25 mins and that will do me. When you get that headwind and a few spots of rain it does play with your head.

(02-17-2022, 07:07 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Improving (albeit slightly) all the time. 2.5 miles in 25 mins (OK, some may scoff at that, but I'm pleased!).

My issue is that I'm upping the pace to try and get sub 8 min miles in, but it's back firing when I get 2 or 3 mins into the second mile.

My immediate short term goal is to run for 30 mins and 3 miles, in relative comfort. I'm not sure about the right way to go about this, so wonder if the experienced runners here would recommend the best way to achieve this? Should I just run for 30 mins at a comfortable pace, then once comfortable at that pace, up it at the next run?

That seems logical in my mind, but I'm worried that I'd do less than what I'm doing now, in terms of distance, but running for a longer time, if that makes sense? It'd almost feel like a backwards step.

I can't imagine anyone scoffing Kratos, there's not many Mo Farrah's on here I reckon. 

What i did to start was have a short loop to complete, I found an 2.5k circuit around my area door to door, so I would run and if I felt ok after one lap I would go again and then I'd see how far round I got, obviously aiming to get all the way round on the 2nd lap for 5k. If I didn't feel ok at the end of the 1st lap I'd call it in and didn't have to limp home (a lot of the time it was my calf that would tell me to stop being a stupid fekker).

Try not to over analyse it, just stick your headphones in and go for a run, don't worry about anyone else.
What's the prevailing opinion on how often you should run?

I did a 3 mile run Thursday, then played football Friday and Sunday. I've ached like hell today, but plan on going for a run tomorrow.

However, if I'm still aching tomorrow, do I run through the pain (stop being a fanny!), or could I actually risk injury?

Is my body telling me to have a rest when it's aching badly, or is that just the old 'no pain, no gain' cliche?

I've googled this, and the answer varies from rest to carry on.
Clarnet v2.0
(02-28-2022, 07:49 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: What's the prevailing opinion on how often you should run?

I did a 3 mile run Thursday, then played football Friday and Sunday. I've ached like hell today, but plan on going for a run tomorrow.

However, if I'm still aching tomorrow, do I run through the pain (stop being a fanny!), or could I actually risk injury?

Is my body telling me to have a rest when it's aching badly, or is that just the old 'no pain, no gain' cliche?

It varies from person to person and depends on any number of factors - how far you run, how much rest your body needs, how long you usually need to recover, any niggling injuries…

I always say listen to your body. If it’s telling you not to run then don’t, if you think you’re ok then go for it. You could even just do a shorter run and see how you get on.
Went out today and managed 5k in 25:01, am actually a bit gutted I couldn’t have gone 1 second faster!
In the form of his life.
(02-28-2022, 07:49 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: What's the prevailing opinion on how often you should run?

I am the World's worse for this and have run through many many injuries over the years.
It doesn't seem too bad from what I can make out (apologies if wrong) so maybe take it easy and walk if you are struggling - dress warm (again, I am a T-shirt & shorts runner) in case you have to walk.
If it is bad - take at least a week off!
(03-03-2022, 06:12 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: Went out today and managed 5k in 25:01, am actually a bit gutted I couldn’t have gone 1 second faster!

That’s the beauty of running though - the next one will usually be better.
If anyone is keen I might start a WBAunofficial Strava group for a bit of friendly competition and motivation. Not at me computer now but could put it together over the weekend and see how it goes...

and I don't often knock out 100km a month so no pressure Big Grin

Depends on your running. Yesterday I went harder than I had been for a while and did a 10km in 51mins. Feeling that today so I'll give it a day or two. If I run a 30min 5km I'm usually fine to go again 24hours later.
(03-04-2022, 10:42 AM)BeijingBaggie Wrote: If anyone is keen I might start a WBAunofficial Strava group for a bit of friendly competition and motivation. Not at me computer now but could put it together over the weekend and see how it goes...

I'm on Strava, so would probably join up - However I reserve the right to leave in a middle-aged strop when it becomes evident that I'm more tortoise than hare.
(03-04-2022, 11:57 AM)ElbowGrease1973 Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 10:42 AM)BeijingBaggie Wrote: If anyone is keen I might start a WBAunofficial Strava group for a bit of friendly competition and motivation. Not at me computer now but could put it together over the weekend and see how it goes...

I'm on Strava, so would probably join up - However I reserve the right to leave in a middle-aged strop when it becomes evident that I'm more tortoise than hare.

I'm tentatively in on the same basis the Elbow is in, the fact that I could be outed as someone who talks a good game is a big risk on this for me as well  Big Grin