UK Covid death toll
Agree BaB, the problem comes from understaffing of hospitals. It's one thing building a covid only hospital but not having the staff available to resource it means that it is useless. Alternatively you take the staff out of hospitals and put them into running the nightingale and again there are less staff to run routine procedures.

Add to this confusing rules about self isolating when you have symptoms and you have a lot of staff not allowed to get to the hospitals further depleting the ability to operate normally.

And this comes after years of staffing and funding cuts. Time for a change in the way we think of our public services if we want to make the UK better.
(10-02-2020, 12:22 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 11:22 AM)billybassett Wrote: Thanks baggy1

ONS estimates 0.21% of the population have Covid. Of those obviously a very small number are now dying (thankfully).

The costs the current lockdown measures are having on people's (other) health and economically are way way higher. We really need to be getting real about this. My better half went for a blood test at Good Hope yesterday - it was empty - when she asked if it was always like this she was told yes it has been for a while now because people aren't coming in. Many more unfortunately will die due to this than Covid.

So it's up to the individuals to get on with going to hospital appointments......

Both of my consultant appointments (I'm greedy) were changed to telephone appointments, however arrangements were made to get blood tests, BP check etc at a community hospital specifically reserved for non covid as the main hospital and part of A & E are considered to be covid. I also had my yearly scan as planned (clear Smile  ) as the hospital had arranged for a mobile scanner to be placed in the car park. They are definitely dealing with current patients as far as can tell. The major problem seems to be getting to see a GP who seem, for want of a better phrase, to have gone into hiding and are leaving it to the nurses or maybe that's just my local practice, and this may critically delay initial diagnosis
I would add to what Strawman says above that the backlog is slowly being cleared. Hopefully! I've been on before saying I was due a 12 month follow-up scan for my bowel cancer (oo-er missus!) in early September but this had been put back to October the 14th. The scan will take place in my local hospital but my surgeon told me all cancer ops have been moved to a private hospital which only deals with such cases. I think this has been carried out pretty much nationwide (not necessarily the private bit, but separation of cancer treatments, etc.) Again, hopefully this will result in a gradual shortening of the waiting list. I can't speak for GP's other than to say my mine are initially phone only but anyone can as a result of it necessitating a face-to-face will then have one. That said there are about 6 docs in the practice, which I think makes appointments somewhat more easy.
I think that's my only gripe not seeing a doctor face to face no matter what you say on the phone it's not the same and then you get the women taking the appointments what's wrong with you .

Of course I'm going to tell you I've got grapes hanging from my arse .(only a example of course )
(10-02-2020, 01:32 PM)The liquidator Wrote: I think that's my only gripe not seeing a doctor  face to face no matter what you say on the phone it's not the same and then you get the women taking the appointments what's wrong with you .

Of course I'm going to tell you I've got grapes hanging from my arse .(only a example of course )

Asking for a friend  Big Grin
No comment
(10-02-2020, 01:40 PM)The liquidator Wrote: No comment

Big Grin
(10-02-2020, 02:05 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 01:40 PM)The liquidator Wrote: No comment

Big Grin

Grapes? Don't fucking eat so many!
(10-02-2020, 01:37 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 01:32 PM)The liquidator Wrote: I think that's my only gripe not seeing a doctor  face to face no matter what you say on the phone it's not the same and then you get the women taking the appointments what's wrong with you .

Asking for a friend  Big Grin

[Image: EjVNKH4WsAA3fgS?format=png&name=small]
There are going to be deaths Dekka, that is unavoidable, there are with many other virus including Flu and especially at this time of year. The point being made on all the other posts is that it isn't getting out of control as it was at the start of the year. That graph is telling me there we about 75 deaths from Covid in a month in the west midlands, it isn't telling me much else - age for instance. It is also showing that the deaths are rising - again that ties in with what we are saying but again not in the numbers that we had in March / April. That figure will probably carry on going up btw as we get further into the winter, but that is in line with all other deaths at this time of year. For example (including the week ended 29th Sept these are the following weeks in 2019 total figures)
9,517 9,799 9,973 10,156 10,021 10,164 10,697 10,650 10,882 10,958 10,816 11,188 11,926 7,533

It really is a case of monitoring this week by week and dealing with the best data we can get our hands on. Where did that graph come from btw?

And looking again I'm not certain what the link is to the quote you have on there - help me out here.