Running Clique
I managed another 3 miles on a few seconds under 30 minutes. Today was the first time I noticed that my legs were really aching. Usually I find I'm struggling with the breathing/cardio side. I'm guessing this is a positive!

It's the first time in a while I've done a run within 2 days of another run, so I'm guessing that's the cause of my tired legs.
Clarnet v2.0
(02-22-2022, 04:46 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Damn, I came on here to post about how today I managed a 3mile run in 30 minutes, average pace of 9.51 m/pm (I'm happy with that), only to read some of you fuckers have run 11 miles and 70km.

Fuck sake!

I've no idea what the end game to this running lark is. I initially started to get to a reasonable fitness for football, which I feel like I've achieved to an extent (I can rock up and play a game, without blowing out my arse within 5 mins!).

I was knackered towards the end of today's run, but I could've carried on, but needed to leave the gym due to attending in my lunch hour. I'd like to enter a run, just as something to aim for and work towards. But no idea where to start with all that.

Also, I'm doing the running on a treadmill, and I'm well aware running out and about is a very different beast.

Be careful doing too much on a treadmill.
Your ankles are designed to flex on uneven ground and you will have problems if you do too much treadmill when you run on roads and trails.
(02-22-2022, 01:23 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: Just managed about 6.5k but forgot to press start on strava till about 1.5k in, so recorded 5.15k @ 28.03 mins at a slightly slower pace so am happy to have improved my distance without too much effort.

Good work Midge. You'll be up to 10k in absolutely no time.

(02-22-2022, 04:46 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Damn, I came on here to post about how today I managed a 3mile run in 30 minutes, average pace of 9.51 m/pm (I'm happy with that), only to read some of you fuckers have run 11 miles and 70km.

Fuck sake!

I've no idea what the end game to this running lark is. I initially started to get to a reasonable fitness for football, which I feel like I've achieved to an extent (I can rock up and play a game, without blowing out my arse within 5 mins!).

I was knackered towards the end of today's run, but I could've carried on, but needed to leave the gym due to attending in my lunch hour. I'd like to enter a run, just as something to aim for and work towards. But no idea where to start with all that.

Also, I'm doing the running on a treadmill, and I'm well aware running out and about is a very different beast.

Try and get out the gym for a run each week. Bagpuss is right too much on the treadmill can potentially lead to issues when you start on roads due to the higher impact. 

There's plenty of runs locally. There's a 10k in Halesowen in July and a run in Sutton Coldfield towards the end of May if you need some training time. I think there's also a 10k and HM in Wolverhampton around the start of April. There's also ParkRun every Saturday morning. One at the Dell in Dudley, one round West Park in Wolverhampton and one in Walsall (which is one of the quickest in the country).
Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to go out for a run at some point. I donplay football (five-a-side) so hopefully they helps strengthen the ankles?

Will have a look into the 10k in Halesowen, I've got time to get ready for it!
Clarnet v2.0
(02-24-2022, 07:57 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to go out for a run at some point. I donplay football (five-a-side) so hopefully they helps strengthen the ankles?

I'd suggest getting off-road when you can (it would be a bit sticky right now). Try to think of places where you'd happily go for a walk and run them instead: your average pace will be slower on an undulating off-road route, but you'll likely enjoy it more than just tarmac bashing.
(02-24-2022, 08:14 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 07:57 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to go out for a run at some point. I donplay football (five-a-side) so hopefully they helps strengthen the ankles?

I'd suggest getting off-road when you can (it would be a bit sticky right now). Try to think of places where you'd happily go for a walk and run them instead: your average pace will be slower on an undulating off-road route, but you'll likely enjoy it more than just tarmac bashing.

Haden Hill would probably be my go to. But it's basically a hill. I'd be dead after 5 mins of running! 

I know and I'm aware treadmill running is easier than running out in the open, but surely it'd stand me in some form of good stead?
Clarnet v2.0
(02-24-2022, 09:02 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: I know and I'm aware treadmill running is easier than running out in the open, but surely it'd stand me in some form of good stead?

Yes, certainly it will, and it's partly down to personal preferences. I've always preferred taking exercise outdoors and could never really take to gyms, although I know for some it's their most convenient way to access regular activity. 

Hills are good for cardiovascular though - but be cautious at first. Stourbridge is a surprisingly hilly place, and back in the day you'd always see runners who you knew trained locally reeling people in on the hills; especially towards the back of races. I was a bang average fun runner - trained on my own because that was my preference: half marathon in the mid 80s; 10K in 34/35 minutes, depending on the course; never got under an hour for 10 miles. I know there are others on this forum who can easily better those stats.
(02-24-2022, 07:43 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 01:23 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: Just managed about 6.5k but forgot to press start on strava till about 1.5k in, so recorded 5.15k @ 28.03 mins at a slightly slower pace so am happy to have improved my distance without too much effort.

Good work Midge. You'll be up to 10k in absolutely no time.

Fuck sake!

Try and get out the gym for a run each week. Bagpuss is right too much on the treadmill can potentially lead to issues when you start on roads due to the higher impact. 

There's plenty of runs locally. There's a 10k in Halesowen in July and a run in Sutton Coldfield towards the end of May if you need some training time. I think there's also a 10k and HM in Wolverhampton around the start of April. There's also ParkRun every Saturday morning. One at the Dell in Dudley, one round West Park in Wolverhampton and one in Walsall (which is one of the quickest in the country).

Maybe check out the Worcestershire Mid-Week series.
Wednesday evenings at 7.30.
18 May - Hagley (Multi Terrain)
8 June - Redditch (Trail)
13 July - Droitwich (Road 10k)
17 August - Clent (Trail)
Dirt cheap and great atmosphere - I know the Race Directors!  Wink
(02-24-2022, 09:59 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Maybe check out the Worcestershire Mid-Week series.
Wednesday evenings at 7.30.
18 May - Hagley (Multi Terrain)
8 June - Redditch (Trail)
13 July - Droitwich (Road 10k)
17 August - Clent (Trail)
Dirt cheap and great atmosphere - I know the Race Directors!  Wink

Cheers for the heads up, fancy a bit of the Droitwich 10k.

(02-24-2022, 09:56 PM)Ossian Wrote: Yes, certainly it will, and it's partly down to personal preferences. I've always preferred taking exercise outdoors and could never really take to gyms, although I know for some it's their most convenient way to access regular activity. 

Hills are good for cardiovascular though - but be cautious at first. Stourbridge is a surprisingly hilly place, and back in the day you'd always see runners who you knew trained locally reeling people in on the hills; especially towards the back of races. I was a bang average fun runner - trained on my own because that was my preference: half marathon in the mid 80s; 10K in 34/35 minutes, depending on the course; never got under an hour for 10 miles. I know there are others on this forum who can easily better those stats.

Some good numbers there Ossian. Second your point on Stourbridge, for a beginner it's grim but it makes you strong over time.
Popped out for a 5k, was a nice day and felt good so carried on and managed 10k in a little over 56 mins. Fugged now, but felt good to hit my target.
In the form of his life.