On This Day | 1971
Why thank you. Not sure it's appropriate for a Leeds yob with a face full of 'oss shit but it did make me laugh at the time.

My only other Elland Road anecdote (as a Baggie rather than the Dad of a Leeds supporting son) was that first day back in Div 1 in 1976.   We went on a supporters coach from Redditch and got bricked to fugg after the game.  My Dad, who didn't need much encouragement generally to be fair, was right out the front bricking the fuggers back.    Some of yo out there must remember this.  It's a bit bizarre for me as I drive past that scene 2 or 3 times a week.
(04-18-2020, 01:22 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: Why thank you.  Not sure it's appropriate for a Leeds yob with a face full of 'oss shit but it did make me laugh at the time.

My only other Elland Road anecdote (as a Baggie rather than the Dad of a Leeds supporting son) was that first day back in Div 1 in 1976.   We went on a supporters coach from Redditch and got bricked to fugg after the game.  My Dad, who didn't need much encouragement generally to be fair, was right out the front bricking the fuggers back.    Some of yo out there must remember this.  It's a bit bizarre for me as I drive past that scene 2 or 3 times a week.

Remember it well, fella. Leeds mob charged into our end 5 minutes from the end punching every man, woman or child en route.
8 of us went and we all got back separate, all having had to fight every step of the way from the ground to the station. The worst I've ever been caught up  in, and I went home and away during those bleak years. Those days, you didnt get asked if you wanted trouble, nor arrange to meet someplace, it came at you unrequested.   I've despised Leeds fans since.
(04-18-2020, 04:58 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 01:22 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: Why thank you.  Not sure it's appropriate for a Leeds yob with a face full of 'oss shit but it did make me laugh at the time.

Remember it well, fella. Leeds mob charged into our end 5 minutes from the end punching every man, woman or child en route.
8 of us went and we all got back separate, all having had to fight every step of the way from the ground to the station. The worst I've ever been caught up  in, and I went home and away during those bleak years. Those days, you didnt get asked if you wanted trouble, nor arrange to meet someplace, it came at you unrequested.   I've despised Leeds fans since.

I was only  11, we had tickets in the Lowfields Road stand that got flattened for the really big one they've got now.    I can remember it kicking off big time in the South Stand at some point.   Fugg knows why they got so pissy after scraping a 2-2  from 0-2  in the last 5 minutes.    But it was mental in that car park after the game; fortunately my Dad was a lunatic so it didn't really impact me.
(04-17-2020, 12:01 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: :-)

https://youtu.be/zud5vwvwBDs

"and the Yorkshire spirit comes to the fore". Hang your head in shame, Davies!
Was it really offside? Nowadays, no issue, he’d be ruled inactive and played would roll on, but back then, it was down to the referee’s judgement as to whether he was interfering with play and Mr Tinkler decided he wasn’t. Don’t they say play to the whistle? Asides, we all hate Leeds scum!

There are some interesting quotes from the referee in this article:

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/2...video.html
(04-18-2020, 12:35 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: This was my first year at the Albion (aged 5) and therefore my first ever away win.   I still remember watching the Grandstand result coming in in complete incredulity.   That goal looks onside all day long these days-were the rules different then ?

I don't think it was offside on the rules back then. I think back then it was the case that you were offside if less than 2 players between the attacker and the goal-line when the ball is passed, wherever the attacker was standing along the line, even if inactive. I think the key bit, and the reason Sugget wasn't offside, is "when the ball is passed". Bomber intercepted the ball but then continued with it.