If The Premier League Finished Now.
(04-19-2020, 12:51 PM)Three Degrees Wrote: Football and all sports can fuckoff imo until this crisis eases up . Ive a son and close family involved on a daily basis so i cant be arsed with the greedy bastards running football .It will be a farce anyway playing behind closed doors with players probably feigning injury so they dont have to be involved and who could blame them .

GREED has corrupted the game and is still calling the shots. We the fans count for very little, if anything at all.
I'm sure our players would like their promotion bonus...

Recharged, ready to go, 9 games...bingo!
(04-19-2020, 01:38 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: I'm sure our players would like their promotion bonus...

Recharged, ready to go, 9 games...bingo!

Wait for all the players to be whining that they don't get a break in August to take their million dollar holidays when they're asked to finish this season and then start directly on the next.

Given Qatar world cup is Nov 2022. I reckon it may be an idea to play the next 2 seasons Jan to Sep. Giving a full 6 mths to get this season finished
I'm a fan and I'd like to see them play.

After testing is established for NHS staff (which is when they've said they'd begin) they can be tested rigorously to ensure safety. The reality is that they'll be safer than the rest of us and certainly more than those  in retail who have had to work through the whole thing.

re. the contracts. Why is that a problem? Yes they could leave early, but who else are they going to play for? Who's going to pay them in the meantime? Their new team might, but why would they? They won't be able to play them either! What they would do is just get them to sign a pre-contract contract, just like they do now.

All this taking shots at football is just posturing. They're a business, they've always been a business. Like any business they have obligations they need to meet. No one is forced to be employed by them or forced to watch them. They're doing nothing different now to what they did for the previous hundred odd years.

The big clubs and their players are not the criminals, but somehow, somebody's made them out to be. I wonder why?

Frankly, if you don't like it - and I wouldn't blame you - support your local team full of local players when they start back up again. I would respect that, it would be honest and show that you've seen the light. You're not going to put up with the business comes first mentality of top football.

Like any drug, it will be difficult at first to wean yourself off it but maybe the difficult first bit has already been done for you? Maybe when you're enjoying the passion of watching say, Hednesford town, you'll look at this time as a watershed moment?

Maybe I'll see you there. But I doubt it. I'll be at the Hawthorns.

But hey, I'm a meat-eating vegetarian. I've always been self-hating and weak.
(04-20-2020, 09:03 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: I'm a fan and I'd like to see them play.

After testing is established for NHS staff (which is when they've said they'd begin) they can be tested rigorously to ensure safety. The reality is that they'll be safer than the rest of us and certainly more than those  in retail who have had to work through the whole thing.

re. the contracts. Why is that a problem? Yes they could leave early, but who else are they going to play for? Who's going to pay them in the meantime? Their new team might, but why would they? They won't be able to play them either! What they would do is just get them to sign a pre-contract contract, just like they do now.

All this taking shots at football is just posturing. They're a business, they've always been a business. Like any business they have obligations they need to meet. No one is forced to be employed by them or forced to watch them. They're doing nothing different now to what they did for the previous hundred odd years.

The big clubs and their players are not the criminals, but somehow, somebody's made them out to be. I wonder why?

Frankly, if you don't like it - and I wouldn't blame you - support your local team full of local players when they start back up again. I would respect that, it would be honest and show that you've seen the light. You're not going to put up with the business comes first mentality of top football.

Like any drug, it will be difficult at first to wean yourself off it but maybe the difficult first bit has already been done for you? Maybe when you're enjoying the passion of watching say, Hednesford town, you'll look at this time as a watershed moment?

Maybe I'll see you there. But I doubt it. I'll be at the Hawthorns.

Generally, I agree. We should finish the season as and when safe to do so, however long it takes. I don't think the players contracts issue is that simple, though. While many of the players would see the benefit in what you suggest, who knows how many wouldn't? This would drag agents and solicitors into the negotiations. Then, nothing would be straightforward, or even agreeable to everyone.
 (Although this could work if we perhaps isolated agents and solicitors. Preferably permanently Wink )
(04-20-2020, 09:28 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Generally, I agree. We should finish the season as and when safe to do so, however long it takes. I don't think the players contracts issue is that simple, though. While many of the players would see the benefit in what you suggest, who knows how many wouldn't? This would drag agents and solicitors into the negotiations. Then, nothing would be straightforward, or even agreeable to everyone.
 (Although this could work if we perhaps isolated agents and solicitors. Preferably permanently Wink )

Your right, I don't think it would be quite as simple as I said. But the point still stands, it's most definitely not as complicated as people are making out. Players wouldn't want to go unpaid and any buying club would be loathe to profit out of corona by suggesting they leave a club a month early. Especially if they're deferring their own players and staff wages and yet adding uneccessarily to the wage bill! That would be an interesting conversation to have with one of your star players who's took a 100k a week pay cut to help you out, let alone the cleaner...
(04-20-2020, 09:36 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 09:28 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Generally, I agree. We should finish the season as and when safe to do so, however long it takes. I don't think the players contracts issue is that simple, though. While many of the players would see the benefit in what you suggest, who knows how many wouldn't? This would drag agents and solicitors into the negotiations. Then, nothing would be straightforward, or even agreeable to everyone.

Your right, I don't think it would be quite as simple as I said. But the point still stands, it's most definitely not as complicated as people are making out. Players wouldn't want to go unpaid and any buying club would be loathe to profit out of corona by suggesting they leave a club a month early. Especially if they're deferring their own players and staff wages and yet adding uneccessarily to the wage bill! That would be an interesting conversation to have with one of your star players who's took a 100k a week pay cut to help you out, let alone the cleaner...

loath
I just think it should all finish now to end the uncertainty. Use average points v games, and keep the goal difference as it has finished. No playoffs, top three or four go up, as per relegation. Is it really that difficult.

Oh, and the Europa League is declared null and void for a season!
Exactly right - time to move on.

(04-20-2020, 03:40 PM)Supamart Wrote: I just think it should all finish now to end the uncertainty. Use average points v games, and keep the goal difference as it has finished. No playoffs, top three or four go up, as per relegation. Is it really that difficult.

(04-20-2020, 03:52 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Exactly right - time to move on.

(04-20-2020, 03:40 PM)Supamart Wrote: I just think it should all finish now to end the uncertainty. Use average points v games, and keep the goal difference as it has finished. No playoffs, top three or four go up, as per relegation. Is it really that difficult.

I don’t see it being that simple.  I think they will honour promotion, promote Fulham as well as us, and compensate the other 3 playoff place teams with a wedge of cash for lack of opportunity to hold the playoffs.  I don’t they’ll relegate from the PL as that’s where the mother of all litigation will take place.  Keep them up, have 23 teams in the PL next season (no Carabou Cup and slimmed down UEFA comps) and relegate 6 next year to get the PL back down to 20.  The 3 teams missing out in the playoffs will have much more chance of getting up next season with the top 3 up and none coming down - that should appease them (plus the cash).