The Queen's Speech
(04-05-2020, 06:39 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Kind of sweet and quaint the Queen addressing the nation, but seems to have as much relevance now as the Sports Argus at 615 on a Saturday evening.

I agree it's largely irrelevant but if she'd not said something she'd eventually get some folk whingeing she's forgotten about her people. No win situation.

May I just say though that I think Prince Philip did a fantastic job with her hair and makeup.
(04-05-2020, 08:27 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 06:39 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Kind of sweet and quaint the Queen addressing the nation, but seems to have as much relevance now as the Sports Argus at 615 on a Saturday evening.

I agree it's largely irrelevant but if she'd not said something she'd eventually get some folk whingeing she's forgotten about her people. No win situation.

May I just say though that I think Prince Philip did a fantastic job with her hair and makeup.

Deserves an ARF.
I wondered if she'd mention the war. Surely there has to be a time when people who lived through it can stop banging on about it and trying to make us youngsters feel guilty or inferior for not having been there.

I remember a quote from Pete Townshend. "All we got when we were kids was people telling us how they'd fought a war for us. Even worse, they'd fucking won it!".
(04-06-2020, 08:15 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I wondered if she'd mention the war. Surely there has to be a time when people who lived through it can stop banging on about it and trying to make us youngsters feel guilty or inferior for not having been there.

I remember a quote from Pete Townshend. "All we got when we were kids was people telling us how they'd fought a war for us. Even worse, they'd fucking won it!".

..... still waiting for that book.
Made me loff that half of this thread about Her Royal Majesty turned into reminiscing about the sports Argus Big Grin
(04-06-2020, 09:34 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Made me loff  that half of this thread about Her Royal Majesty turned into reminiscing about the sports Argus Big Grin

I'm giving this thread a Form Rate: Abysmal
Ffs.

Thought this was about Lady Leshurr.
(04-06-2020, 09:46 AM)Pickle Rick Wrote: It's part of a nations identity to hark back to the past and relive triumphs through adversity in a modern crisis. I bet the Greeks still mention Thermopyle - or at least Philip does. So well done HRH - I am confident now we will see this through and drive Jerry back.

Surely Jerry could legitimately claim refugee status. 

From Tom.
(04-06-2020, 10:15 AM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Ffs.

Thought this was about Lady Leshurr.

Leshurr by name...
Life's not been the same since the Argus went....