The Brits
Ok, I know it’s an age thing predominantly, but looked at the list of nominations and winners just and honestly didn’t know most of them, to a level I’ve never encountered before.
I’ve teenage kids so generally have a window into youth culture but have never felt so out of touch. 
I do wonder though just how important current music plays in youth culture compared to when many of us were young in the 70s, 80s, 90s. Then it was a vital part of identifying with yourself and I felt proud to be a British youth with our cutting edge music leading the world. 
I don’t know if the Brits were on last night, or being televised tonight but have no interest and really wonder bar a niche young audience who cares anyhow in an age where streaming has become the norm and the charts have no significance.
Don’t make me get the picture out....

I’m not even 40 and I feel too old for the Brits, but that’s how it should be. Popular music should be for the kids and us old fuggers should sometimes be baffled by it. I remember my Dad giving it the whole “what’s that shite??” schtick when I played the Prodigy as a kid. Now it’s my turn...
I reacted in exactly the same way to most of it. Billy Eyelash was terrific but most of it was impenetrable.

Stormzy for example. Utter fucking drivel, lapped up by the impressionable young and the Uber woke music industry. 

It’s bobbins
(02-19-2020, 08:05 AM)Duffers Wrote: Don’t make me get the picture out....

I’m not even 40 and I feel too old for the Brits, but that’s how it should be. Popular music should be for the kids and us old fuggers should sometimes be baffled by it. I remember my Dad giving it the whole “what’s that shite??” schtick when I played the Prodigy as a kid. Now it’s my turn...

Do agree, but my kids didn’t watch it. Think that says a lot.
Think the online world has made it all so disparate.
As for my dad he only listened to Country and Western and Irish music. Only pop song he ever admitted liking was Wherever I Lay my hat.
What are these Brits you speak of?    Huh

#toooldtogiveafuck
(02-19-2020, 08:17 AM)Psalm23 Wrote: What are these Brits you speak of?    Huh

#toooldtogiveafuck

Surely you mean "Of which you speak"?
Early drawing of the battle lines between the Woke Dads and Shouting at Cloud Dads, today. I knew about 50% of the acts referenced, primarily because the other 50% aren't cool enough. #TeamDAVE
(02-19-2020, 08:11 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 08:05 AM)Duffers Wrote: Don’t make me get the picture out....

Do agree, but my kids didn’t watch it. Think that says a lot.
Think the online world has made it all so disparate.
As for my dad he only listened to Country and Western and Irish music. Only pop song he ever admitted liking was Wherever I Lay my hat.

That’s just the music industry in general now. The age of streaming has made everything disposable, for example I downloaded and listened to the Dave album on my way into work this morning to see what the fuss was about, it was ok but I’ll probably never listen to it again. I think the younger generation consume music differently to how we used to. The days of buying a physical album, taking it home and playing it over and over again are long gone.
I maybe got the original post wrong, but I took from it that the 'Brits'* and music just doesn't seem as important as it was.

I don't expect to know the artist any more, but I would expect the 'yoof' to care. They just don't seem to as much as we did. Maybe they 'bond' over something else? Coffee?

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I do feel a little sad that an area that we as a country were so strong on, is no longer as influential as it was.

Alternatively, maybe it's as popular as it always was, just I'm even more out of touch than my own parents were!

* The brits was always shit! Samantha fox, anyone?
(02-19-2020, 08:39 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: I maybe got the original post wrong, but I took from it that the 'Brits'* and music just doesn't seem as important as it was.

I don't expect to know the artist any more, but I would expect the 'yoof' to care. They just don't seem to as much as we did. Maybe they 'bond' over something else? Coffee?

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I do feel a little sad that an area that we as a country were so strong on, is no longer as influential as it was.

Alternatively, maybe it's as popular as it always was, just I'm even more out of touch than my own parents were!

* The brits was always shit! Samantha fox, anyone?

I think kids still care, just not in the way we used to. The charts are utterly irrelevant these days, as are awards shows.