Striker dilemna
(02-04-2020, 01:25 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 01:16 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I don’t think our problem is scoring.

How many clean sheets have we accumulated this season?

We're 14th with 6 clean sheets. Leeds have 12 and are first.

Where are we in goals scored? I reckon a tad higher.
(02-04-2020, 01:41 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 01:16 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I don’t think our problem is scoring.

Where are we in goals scored? I reckon a tad higher.
Our posts must have crossed during my addition to the previous one:

There are 25 better strikers in the Champ (in terms of goals scored), before Charlie.

It really beggars belief that we are the top scorers...I've never known anything like it. And joint 5th best defence.... So despite all of the 'feelings' we aren't that bad. We really are a team unit for the first time I think.

There are 25 better strikers in the Champ (in terms of goals scored), before Charlie.

It really beggars belief that we are the top scorers...I've never known anything like it. And joint 5th best defence.... So despite all of the 'feelings' we aren't that bad. We really are a team unit for the first time I think.

I don't think "raw goals" is the proper metric, because players play varying minutes. If you look at goals per minute, and cut it off at about 1,000 minutes or so (which removes a striker play 2 matches and getting one goal), then the list looks like this:
Taylor (Charlton) - .74 goals per match
Mitrovic (Fulham) - .71 goals per match
Wells (Bristol) - .71 goals per match
Austin (WBA) - .65 goals per match

So Austin is 4th if you look at playing time vs goals. For reference HRK and Zahore are at .45 goals per match. So you may not like everything he does, but he does score goals at a rate as good as anyone in the Championship. Thats why we need to keep him in there, the striker needs to be enough of a threat to worry the defenders. Also just for full disclosure, there is a guy (Tyrese Campbell on Stoke) who has .67 but he's only played about 600 minutes so I didn't use him. Regardless Austin is 4th or 5th most effective in scoring no matter how you cut it.
(02-04-2020, 03:31 PM)scotbaggie Wrote:

I don't think "raw goals" is the proper metric, because players play varying minutes. If you look at goals per minute, and cut it off at about 1,000 minutes or so (which removes a striker play 2 matches and getting one goal), then the list looks like this:

So Austin is 4th if you look at playing time vs goals. For reference HRK and Zahore are at .45 goals per match. So you may not like everything he does, but he does score goals at a rate as good as anyone in the Championship. Thats why we need to keep him in there, the striker needs to be enough of a threat to worry the defenders. Also just for full disclosure, there is a guy (Tyrese Campbell on Stoke) who has .67 but he's only played about 600 minutes so I didn't use him. Regardless Austin is 4th or 5th most effective in scoring no matter how you cut it.

Top statting that's, mate.

If only goals per minute played won games Wink

'raw goals' win games and we have the highest number of them. Which backs up the we don't really need a traditional striker. For me when Diang is fit I'd go with Diang, Grosicki and Robinson up front. I'd actually not bother playing any of our 'recognised' strikers, as I think Robinson movement and positioning would be good to see with Pereira and the wingers (sounds like a pop/rock band from the 50s!) supplying him and more importantly, I think he would give the midfielders a load more options than HRK,CA and KZ do. For me, since the midfielders lost the outlet of Diang and had next to no movement up front that is when the pressure hit our defence more and saw the slump kick in.

Give Diang / Pereira someone to aim for and we'll be back to Swansea and before.

Top top statting