Ratings yesterday
No-one's come forth with any, so here's me onions.

Bond: virtually a spectator in the first half, had a busier second half without really coming under threat. Seemed to have all the off target shots covered. Looks able and wouldn't be averse to seeing him given a chance in the league should SJ stop performing. 6

O'Shea: another assured performance from the young lad though I felt he got caught out of position a few times, being too far up the pitch. Supported Phillips well but will need to impriove his crossing if we're going to persist with him at RB. Experience will have done him good. Big respect for not letting the split lip shake you. Not as good as Nathan though, tbh. 6.5

Hegazi: coming back to his best, a proper warrior. Has to stay in the team now, IMO. Incredible last ditch tackle in the first half which had it been mis-timed would have been a certain red card. MOTM for me. 9

Ajayi: Defended really well but played a couple of sloppy passes, one that could have led to a West Ham goal (see Hegazi) and one that led, ultimately, to his sending off. No complaints about his bookings. 5.5

Townsend: What a goal! Yet again, Conor shows what a reliable professional he is. Excellent back-up. Take a bow, son. 7

Phillips: I don't get the criticism Matty gets. To me, he always looks to get forward and uses his pace and strength to great effect to move us up the pitch. At the same time, he also puts in a shift defensively. Admittedly, his crosses aren't always up to scratch but show me a player whose crosses are consistently good - it's not an easy skill when you're running at full pelt. Kept Cresswell occupied. One of the first names on the teamsheet as far as I'm concerned. 7

Brunt: Ah Brunteh. Effing love you. If only you were 10 years younger. Used his experience to full effect, helped the team over the line in that last 20 minutes. 8

Barry: Just like Brunteh, used his vast experience. Though he hasn't got the pace now, it's still hard to believe he's 38, such are his fitness levels. Took a card for the team.  Contender for MotM: 8.5

Krovinivic: excellent first half, pulling the strings. West Ham changed their formation second half and he became less effective. Understandably disappointed to be taken off but the right decision at the time. 7

Edwards: can be very pleased with his display, as with Phillips, worked hard defensively and used his pace to great effect going forward. Gave Zabaleta a torrid time in the first half. Just needs to work on his crossing. 7

Austin: worked hard for the team, as usual. Cracking header in the first half which for the life of me looked in ( I was already out of me armchair). 7

Subs:

Tulloch: very mature display when he came on. Used his pace to get into some good positions when going forward, including a half chance late in the game, but also did some stout defending when covering for O'Shea. Looks promising. 6

Bartley: sound, did what he had to do. 6

Zohore: excellent cameo when he came on, worked really hard to take the pressure of the defence in the last 10 minutes. Exemplary play when keeping the ball at the corner flag. 7

Comment on West Ham: God, they were poor. Bad attitude, no heart. Fear they will take Villa's place in the bottom 3 at the end of the season. Declan Rice deserves a pat on the back though. Plays with a maturity far beyond his 21 years.
Nice write up lad.
Decent write up, think a couple of the ratings are a little low, although WHU were so poor it wasn’t a particularly difficult game for anyone!

Bond - 7 - composed all game, good concentration to make the important save despite having nothing to do all day

O’Shea - 7 - gets forward well, defends well, nice passing too
Hegazi - 9 MOTM - beast mode returns
Ajayi - 7 - two fouls that didn’t add up to a red for me, but were probably both yellows if that makes sense. Showed he could play at this level keeping Haller quiet
Townsend - 8 - great goal, defended well, and could have had a couple assists if Austin was sharper

Brunt - 8 - moves ahead of Barry for me, his forward passes are just perfect still
Barry - 7.5 - comes into his own in the last 10-15 when protecting the lead, but doesn’t do enough when starting.

Edwards - 7.5 - probably his best “start” performance, shame he didn’t come in against Stoke instead of Ken as think we’d have been far more dangerous
Krovinovic - 8 - best game in a baggies shirt IMO. Moved the ball forward well, found space, but wasn’t hassled at all.
Phillips - 6.5 - not sure the value of starting him yesterday. was ok, but didn’t get at his nervous marker enough

Austin - 6.5 - worked hard, but missed two good chances. His all round play is improving but limited, if he doesn’t score his chances he doesn’t offer enough to start.

Tulloch - 6 - maybe his hype for the reserves means I expected more of an impact, but showed maturity to play out a game
Ken - 7 - another player who seems better when holding a lead, used the ball well but doesn’t carry enough threat to start.
Bartley - not enough involvement really, but saw out the game!

I think we have a squad of players who give us lots of options to change games, but we seem to lack players to allow us to start games in the front foot. Bilic has had a lot of praise for the effectiveness of his subs, but for me I think it’s very much down to the options he has available allowing him to change games, we just don’t seem to quite have the balance in the squad to nail down an effective starting system at the moment.
Good review. Krov and O'Shea worthy of higher marks.
Good reviews, guys. Very useful for me as I didn't go. Nice to see Townsend, Edwards and Krov getting some credit. A cracking win. Roll on the draw, I'd love Newcastle at home.
(01-26-2020, 12:32 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Good review. Krov and O'Shea worthy of higher marks.

I'm trying not go overboard with O'Shea, maybe he was a 7, in fairness. 

Re: Krov. Someone else said on another thread, they felt he looked good due to West Ham's incompetence rather than his ingenuity. I was thinking along the same lines with my rating. 

SW4 - I would have given Ajayi 7, like yourself, but for the sending off. He did defend very well, tbf. He and Hegazi had Haller and Ajeti in their pockets. There was that wonderful moment in the first half when Ajeti (I think) was played through and they both just came together like the Black Gates of Mordor and blocked him out. Superb.
Krov; WHU certainly gave him space, but he had to find it to be fair to him and he was always available. Made me think Krov would be better suited to Premier League football as it's less physical.
Phillips; I just think too frequently he's a bit anonymous.
Edwards; I was hoping he'd have a right go at Zabaleta, but he didn't really. Thought Zabaleta did a half decent experienced job on Edwards, not exposed too often by Edwards pace.
Brunt & Barry; Did a fabulous job for us. Last 15 they looked knackered, but kept going.
(01-26-2020, 01:36 PM)shadman Wrote: Krov; WHU certainly gave him space, but he had to find it to be fair to him and he was always available. Made me think Krov would be better suited to Premier League football as it's less physical.
Phillips; I just think too frequently he's a bit anonymous.
Edwards; I was hoping he'd have a right go at Zabaleta, but he didn't really. Thought Zabaleta did a half decent experienced job on Edwards, not exposed too often by Edwards pace.
Brunt & Barry; Did a fabulous job for us. Last 15 they looked knackered, but kept going.

Zabaleta hasn’t had any pace for the last decade, but knows how to deal with it.

Edwards gave him a tough game, but he’s a quality player who will always be able to handle players like Kyle.