The cricket...
Played really well today, managed to see some of Stokes' knock on a stream at work when it was quiet. Look what happens when the top order give the likes of Stokes and Buttler chance to let loose! Oh what could have been in Australia....
(01-06-2020, 11:39 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Played really well today, managed to see some of Stokes' knock on a stream at work when it was quiet. Look what happens when the top order give the likes of Stokes and Buttler chance to let loose!  Oh what could have been in Australia....

In fairness the Saffa's decision not to take the new ball gave Stokes all the confidence he needed to swing the bat.

Crowley, Burns, Sibley and Denley have the ability to play as test batsmen, but they need to focus on test and get regular games... something we're not known to give players who don't immediately hit hundreds!
Sibley and Denby are both very solid top order batsman. I will never be sure on Burns. I feel his defensive game isn't up to scratch and is more suited to playing ODI. We are very much crying out for a Cook or Trescothick. SOmebody who can prop up a middle order and tick over.
(01-06-2020, 12:17 PM)Lurker#3 Wrote: Sibley and Denby are both very solid top order batsman. I will never be sure on Burns. I feel his defensive game isn't up to scratch and is more suited to playing ODI. We are very much crying out for a Cook or Trescothick. SOmebody who can prop up a middle order and tick over.

Really?! I think Burns has performed really well at test level so far? He would be way down the pecking order in white ball cricket for sure!
Looks like the track has flattened out - but still seems way too much batting for an ordinary Saffer top 6. England big favourites here
(01-06-2020, 12:32 PM)Winst_Baggie Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 12:17 PM)Lurker#3 Wrote: Sibley and Denby are both very solid top order batsman. I will never be sure on Burns. I feel his defensive game isn't up to scratch and is more suited to playing ODI. We are very much crying out for a Cook or Trescothick. SOmebody who can prop up a middle order and tick over.

Really?! I think Burns has performed really well at test level so far? He would be way down the pecking order in white ball cricket for sure!

I always feel he bats better when somebody else is propping up the other end and he can play positively off his legs. He does have the ability to be patient and leave balls outside his off stump when people are trying to get him driving away from his body. But feels he gets caught too far back in crease and ends up tying himself up against bowlers who target his stumps.

He still has time to progress but would rather see him alongside somebody who is borderline boring.

To be fair a lot of my opinion could be because of his strange technique and my lack of knowledge about the game! Confused