Abysmal performance
(12-27-2019, 09:09 AM)Three Degrees Wrote: I could see what SB was trying to do with playing Gibbs n Furlong hoping they would get forward a lot , and to a degree 1st half it worked  , 2nd half became congested and the option was there for Bilic to bring on Phillips or Edwards to open the pitch up .

Agreed.  The 433 worked to an attacking extent first half as the fullbacks gave us the width. Under orders - they barely supported 2 half.  We then had this halfway house between defending in numbers and attacking with little conviction
Good insight gents. I like the fact that Bilic sees the problems and although he doesn't have a magic wand he will be working on solutions. I maintain my faith in him. His use of substitutes to change games is not just luck. He may need to be a bit more ruthless and stamp his authority on below par performances though.
(12-26-2019, 06:12 PM)tiptontown Wrote: Didn't think we were outplayed. Johnstone played well first half, but we could easily have had a two goal cushion ourselves at half time with better finishing. Second half was scrappy and and wern't that many chances for either side second half and thought their equaliser came out of the blue as we looked more comfortable second half defensively.
Not doubting it would've been nice for us to have been more dominant, but didn't think we were outplayed.

Agree Tip'n. It could be said that after  a first half when both teams had chances but only Albion scored, the 2nd half we totally negated their efforts to the point we were a few seconds away from 3 points. An under par performance certainly, but a point away from home. A win at home to Boro and yesterday is put to bed. I'd really like to go into the new year unbeaten at home.
The main thing is our Mon Slaven admits when and where we are poor. He doesn't blame the pitch or the ref etc. Managers that don't admit it and blame something else believe they have nothing to amend and all is rosy. Our man will try and do something to amend it.
(12-27-2019, 01:12 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: The main thing is our Mon Slaven admits when and where we are poor. He doesn't blame the pitch or the ref etc. Managers that don't admit it and blame something else believe they have nothing to amend and all is rosy. Our man will try and do something to amend it.

He did mention the pitch, didn't think it was that bad, we only had our selves to blame, thought we did ok for 90 minutes, it was never going to be easy against a team off the back of two wins with a new manager who seems to have sorted their defence out, although I thought we sat back a after we scored - personally would have preferred hrk on his own Austin on the bench with an extra man in midfield (diagana big miss today)

Win our next two games - with a fully fit squad and maybe another striker in the window I honestly think we can win the league.   

Enjoyed the game, although thought the ref was poor and gave us nothing - we move on
I don't think the issue yesterday was the strikers as much as the midfield. Just because we only scored once doesn't mean we always "need strikers". I saw HRK and Austin make runs but no one playing them forward. Really outside of Perriera the mids were poor. We gave away pass after pass. The way Bilick plays we are not sitting there being reliant on the strikers to score (like other attacks including last season). If the link up play isn't happening we won't score goals, but its not always "the strikers". I think the Diangana injury, or recall, is going to hurt us a lot more than some think
(12-27-2019, 02:43 PM)igorbalis Wrote:
(12-27-2019, 01:12 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: The main thing is our Mon Slaven admits when and where we are poor. He doesn't blame the pitch or the ref etc. Managers that don't admit it and blame something else believe they have nothing to amend and all is rosy. Our man will try and do something to amend it.

He did mention the pitch, didn't think it was that bad, we only had our selves to blame, thought we did ok for 90 minutes, it was never going to be easy against a team off the back of two wins with a new manager who seems to have sorted their defence out, although I thought we sat back a after we scored - personally would have preferred hrk on his own Austin on the bench with an extra man in midfield (diagana big miss today)

Win our next two games - with a fully fit squad and maybe another striker in the window I honestly think we can win the league.   

Enjoyed the game, although thought the ref was poor and gave us nothing - we move on

One slip of concentration/poor marking cost us 2 points but we got out of gaol really as we had the previous 3 games. 

If we can get through this poor spell asap we should be able to get the 35 points needed.  We do however seem to have lost our way a little at the mo.....

(12-26-2019, 05:01 PM)scotbaggie Wrote: Outplayed at every position on the pitch. At times it felt like Barnsley were playing with 13 men. Lucky to get a point

Apart from Johnstone.  Tongue

(12-26-2019, 05:02 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Barnsley are in a bit of form, 11 points in their last 6 games.They look decent. We’ve looked a bit sloppy since Swansea only taking 6 points, but it is tough this time of year.

The way both sides have been playing recently I thought we'd lose yesterday;  to have won despite another below-par performance would have been remarkable,  so whilst disappointing we gained an unexpected point for me.

Barnsley will be a tough game for any of the chasing pack who still have to go there.
Leeds , Brentford already won there and Fulham lost 1st game of the season .