Your ultimate WBA 11
(12-22-2019, 03:58 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 03:49 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 11:17 AM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 09:04 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 08:00 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Opening a can of worms I'm sure but would the majority of 'old timers' hack it in today's game?
Players are generally fitter, faster, bigger and stronger now and the game has changed.

With all due respect none of our super fit players of today would have lated 30 minutes years ago. 
The game has changed, but the man status has faded badly. lightweight balls and foam boots & VAR
I preferred the rough and tumble myself.

Spot on with that mate think a lot of today's  players in general not just ours would struggle with the physicality and mud pitches of 30-40yrs ago, can you imagine the likes of saha, greasy, salah etc coming up against the likes of a wound up Kenny Burns or Jimmy Case or Ally Rob etc!

Can't disagree with you there but I assumed that we were talking ultimate 11 for the modern game?
For sure - I can't see today's players trudging round The Baseball Ground in winter in the 70s but also can't see many of the players from that era keeping up with the pace of the modern game!

Agree you can't really make like for like comparisons but if a things were equal would have been interesting to see how the likes of Best, Hoddle, Liam Brady, Alan Devonshire, Duncan McKenzie etc and our own Laurie would have been on today's almost perfect pitches.

Physical fitness can be decieving - Big Cyrille was IMO the most perfect physical specimen I've seen in the stripes. But the likes of Mo Farah looks weedy, but he could run and run all day long. The game has changed so much we forget. At one time we only needed a chair for our substitue not a bench. If you headed a ball in the 60's you had concussion. The treatment for an injury was a wet sponge FFS how things have changed.
(12-20-2019, 08:00 PM)baggpuss Wrote: Opening a can of worms I'm sure but would the majority of 'old timers' hack it in today's game?
Players are generally fitter, faster, bigger and stronger now and the game has changed.

With all due respect none of our super fit players of today would have lated 30 minutes years ago. 
The game has changed, but the man status has faded badly. lightweight balls and foam boots & VAR

Spot on with that mate think a lot of today's  players in general not just ours would struggle with the physicality and mud pitches of 30-40yrs ago, can you imagine the likes of saha, greasy, salah etc coming up against the likes of a wound up Kenny Burns or Jimmy Case or Ally Rob etc!

Likewise those ‘enforcers’ or dirty bastards wouldn’t be able to just chop players down now.
(12-22-2019, 04:17 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Likewise those ‘enforcers’ or dirty bastards wouldn’t be able to just chop players down now.

With today's VAR several games would have to be abandoned, getting a red card never bothered them Big Grin.
Even our own "Nobby Stiles" was MU and Englands "Enforcer" not the biggest, but bejesus lets say he was a tough tackler.
this 11 minus John Trewick Paddy and the guy next to Godden Mick Martin?

Godden was actually a very underrated keeper - probably would have played for England had Shilton and Clemence not been playing at the tiime.

Happy days.

(12-22-2019, 10:03 PM)igorbalis Wrote: this 11 minus John Trewick Paddy and the guy next to Godden Mick Martin?

Godden was actually a very underrated keeper - probably would have played for England had Shilton and Clemence not been playing at the tiime.

Happy days.

doh!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)