Busby film
Great iconic footage some of it unique. A remarkable man who had a hard life but battled through one adversity after another culminating with the 1968 European Cup triumph.
One brief clip of Best putting the ball through Graham Williams legs.

(12-10-2019, 12:33 AM)Hopalong Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:05 AM)Albionmad Wrote: Great iconic footage some of it unique. A remarkable man who had a hard life but battled through one adversity after another culminating with the 1968 European Cup triumph.

Best's debut. Williams has described it as a nightmare.

We'll never see the likes of George again.  Imagine what he'd be like on the bowling greens of today.

Who'd have thought (that arguably) the greatest ever player would come from Northern Ireland?
It seems daft to say this but Best was probably  in the right place at the wrong time. He was 22 when United won the European  Cup at the end of the Busby dynasty.So many stalwarts were coming to the end of their careers with no plan in place to move forward. With no system in place to manage  press/player contact it's no wonder Best went off the rails so quickly. When Giggs came through, he had zero contact with the press for what seemed like years.
(12-10-2019, 12:05 AM)Albionmad Wrote: Great iconic footage some of it unique. A remarkable man who had a hard life but battled through one adversity after another culminating with the 1968 European Cup triumph.

Best's debut. Williams has described it as a nightmare.

We'll never see the likes of George again.  Imagine what he'd be like on the bowling greens of today.

Who'd have thought (that arguably) the greatest ever player would come from Northern Ireland?
I've not seen the Busby film yet but intend to do so .Is this bit of the film at 6 mins you are talking about?
If so that's not Best debut ,that's from december 1965.That player is Ray Fairfax ,Williams didn't play .Graham was stocky about 5' 7.
Look at Bests hair ,when he made his debut he had the bryllcream short,back and sides as was the fashion in 63 .By 65 longer hairstyles were coming in .Best was being called the fifth Beatle by then .There was no film of Bests debut,motd didn't start until the following season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6LHlqtTDuQ
(12-10-2019, 07:33 AM)Alf Tupper Wrote: I've not seen the Busby film yet but intend to do so .Is this bit of the film at 6 mins you are talking about?
If so that's not Best debut ,that's from december 1965.That player is Ray Fairfax ,Williams didn't play .Graham was stocky about 5' 7.
Look at Bests hair ,when he made his debut he had the bryllcream short,back and sides as was the fashion in 63 .By 65 longer hairstyles were coming in .Best was being called the fifth Beatle by then .There was no film of Bests debut,motd didn't start until the following season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6LHlqtTDuQ
I stand corrected. It was Fairfax. It's a shorter clip in the Busby film and in the brief moment I assumed it was Williams given Williams later anecdote of wanting to see Bests face cos all he'd ever seen was his backside after he'd gone past him.
Actually mate,that bit of film was shown in a loop on sky sports news all day purporting to be Best debut on the day he died in 2005 .
I remember reading an article in newspaper a long time ago when Busby was asked about that debut.He reckoned George got the better of Williams in the first half and he warned George at half time that Graham was a tough full back and he should not try it too often.Sure enough he tried to knock it through his legs again at the start of the second half and Graham booted him up the arse.Busby the put Best on the left wing in case he got injured, to get after Campbell Crawford who was making his Albion debut at right back.
Just downloaded that film will watch it later.
If I had to pick an all-time eleven from all of the players I've ever seen, George's would be the first name on the team sheet. And straight away there'd be a dilemma - where to play him? You could choose from any of at least half a dozen outfield positions, in complete confidence that he'd be the best player on the pitch.
(12-10-2019, 08:49 AM)Ossian Wrote: If I had to pick an all-time eleven from all of the players I've ever seen, George's would be the first name on the team sheet. And straight away there'd be a dilemma - where to play him? You could choose from any of at least half a dozen outfield positions, in complete confidence that he'd be the best player on the pitch.

Literally.

:-)