Free broadband with labour
I'm calling plusnet this morning and cancelling my subscription so I've tweeted mcdonell and asked him what time bt are coming round to install and my new router  Dodgy
Are you complaining that you are being offered free broadband and see it as a bad thing?
100bn on HS2 or 15bn on superfast broadband for everyone. I know what's better value.

Whether the market economics make sense and the knock on impact of part nationalising I'm not sure but what I do know is that it's obvious that fast broadband is as important as running water in households (like it or not). The fact that for £400 a year you can get all your water and sewerage dealt with and yet for the same price (and more in many places) you can't actually get a broadband speed above a 1mb is ridiculous. It's massively important for the future economy of our country, the education of young people in less privileged circumstances etc etc
He forgot to mention how is he going to pay for the pensions ........shake that money tree jezza
(11-15-2019, 10:19 AM)billybassett Wrote: 100bn on HS2 or 15bn on superfast broadband for everyone. I know what's better value.

Whether the market economics make sense and the knock on impact of part nationalising I'm not sure but what I do know is that it's obvious that fast broadband is as important as running water in households (like it or not). The fact that for £400 a year you can get all your water and sewerage dealt with and yet for the same price (and more in many places) you can't actually get a broadband speed above a 1mb is ridiculous. It's massively important for the future economy of our country, the education of young people in less privileged circumstances etc etc

BT say it will be nearer 100bn - and with the history of Government estimates v final costs I know who I believe.

That is of course without the knock on effects on jobs or costs of nationalising other broadband  broadband providers and their pension schemes.

And from experience and history never, never, ever let Government have anything to do with technology projects.
ILL NATIONALISE UR MOM IN A MINUTE
(11-15-2019, 10:26 AM)The liquidator Wrote: He forgot to mention how is he going to pay for the pensions ........shake that money tree jezza

Pay for what pensions? - you do realise that BT has underfunded their own pension pot for years and are massively behind and heading in the wrong direction, it has been a major mismanagement that will blow up at some stage.
And the government will have to pay for it ........still waiting for my router I wish they would hurry up I've got the darts to watch later all FREE
(11-15-2019, 10:31 AM)strawman Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 10:19 AM)billybassett Wrote: 100bn on HS2 or 15bn on superfast broadband for everyone. I know what's better value.

BT say it will be nearer 100bn - and with the history of Government estimates v final costs I know who I believe.

That is of course without the knock on effects on jobs or costs of nationalising other broadband  broadband providers and their pension schemes.

And from experience and history never, never, ever let Government have anything to do with technology projects.

Various governments have tried to get BT to provide a minimum standard of broadband to the rural communities and balance out the inequalities of access that we currently have. An example for you - Fujitsu and Talk Talk (IIRC) went into partnership and proposed a business case to compete with BT to roll out fibre to the country. BT, who said it couldn't be done because it was too expensive realised that there was some competition here so cut all of their contracts with Fujitsu to destabilise the UK operations.

As much as there are many different providers BT still own the networks and make it very difficult for companies to provide real competition. They are effectively still a monopoly for a great part of the market. 

There are still many areas of the country that get next to no broadband access because it isn't profitable for companies to do. This is exactly what governments need to do to balance up the haves and have nots.

I agree the costs are probably out - the government one is under the final amount and the BT one will be overestimating (unsurprisingly they don't want this to happen)
(11-15-2019, 10:54 AM)The liquidator Wrote: And the government will have to pay for it ........still waiting for my router I wish they would hurry up I've got the darts to watch later all FREE

Why would the government have to pay for bills that BT have run up - you do realise how employment works don't you. The employees would have a BT pension (to be paid by BT) when they retire and the government would give them a pension from the point that they start working for them.