Gary Lineker programme last night..
Grandad was one of the soldiers who looked for mines with the Royal Engineers and was in the Italian campaign. When they were stationed by Mount Vesuvius it erupted. Spike Milligan was stationed at the same place. He was proud of his service but very rarely spoke about it and it really damaged his nerves. Im extremely proud but annoyed that young people had to live through those times and still do.
Watching now on iplayer. Looks like his Grandad followed a similar route to one of mine (North Africa then Italy). The other was in the Royal Navy.
In a similar way to Linekers Grandad my Father never spoke about his experiences in the War and I left it too late to ask him, I’ve since been given his army record and found out he joined up after lying about his age in 1932 to earn money to give to his family and subsequently served in the BEF in France, was evacuated at Dunkirk and then went to Burma!
So if any of you have relatives that you are thinking of asking do it before it’s too late !
Just seen it.
All the above.. and I'll add what a good presenter Lineker is.
Bright, interested, sense of humour, and, above all a sense of perspective
Football isn't everything, and he's far more about him than many of the pampered tattooed self-absorbed narcissists we see on our screens. Thanks for the recommendation