Most joyous/miserable comebacks you've witnessed
(10-18-2019, 07:49 PM)Mish Wrote: Most of my most memorable ones have been mentioned, but coming from behind to beat Villa 2-1 at home with Mulumbu getting the winner was sweet.

3-0 down at Sid James's and coming back to draw with 3-3 was good too.  Tchoyi hat trick I think?

I wasn't there; but listened on the radio on the way back up from my folks.  Reading beat us 3-2 at theirs after being 2-0 up and Morrison and Lukaku absolutely destroying them for 80ish minutes.

The Reading game was horrendous. My nipper’s first game (think he was seven) and had wanted to go home as it was “too loud”. Absolutely running through them by that point. Told him to stick with it and it went to shit within ten minutes. Fuggin rubbish.
Was at the Spurs game. Was at the West Ham away game, the dingles game ...... and so on, but I don't think I've ever seen us so dominant in a game for 80 mins as that Reading away game and then go to complete shit for the last 10 minutes. Still couldn't believe we lost that game for quite a while after.
Loved the West Ham 3-4 . I,d lost my ticket after night on the tiles at soul jazz all-nighter. So paid again cash . Sat in seat 101 3 mill down was a shocker. The come back priceless.?
Fantastic run-in in our promotion season with Meggo.
Went to nearly all the matches home and away. The feeling after each one was something else.

Missed the Bradford games but that was the best feeling listening on the radio.
4-3 at Ipswich in 1983 after we we were 3-2 down with 2 minutes to go. Mick Perry equalised in the 89th minute to make it 3-3, they attacked from the kickoff to try and retake the lead. Cyrille pick up the ball on the edge of our area and ran and ran and ran the whole length of the pitch to their penalty area where he was bundled over by Butcher. Garry Thompson scored from the spot to spark manic celebrations in the away end. 4 black players scored for us - Zondervan, Cyrille, Perry and Thompson - which I think was a first.
(10-18-2019, 05:09 PM)Mr Jingles Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 01:36 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: The 4-3 at Upton Park was brilliant.

The lowest I've ever left a game was that 2-2 with Palace in the Great Escape season... It felt like we simply had to win, Purse's infamous duck had put them 1-0-up, and we fought back level and made it 2-1 in injury time, only for Wayne Andrews to bundle in an offside/foul in the build up equaliser in about the 95th minute.

Doubt I'll ever feel more like I've been punched in the stomach by a goal in my lifetime.

Agree...was at both games with exact same emotions...extreme high and extreme low
Yes, still think back to that Palace game now and my heart gets that sinking feeling. Remember not sleeping much that night as the game wouldn’t go out of my head and at work the next day it seemed like every 2 minutes I would be remembering what happened the previous night and getting that awful feeling of sickness and disappointment all over again. Worked with another Baggie at the time and one look at his ashen, sad face told me he had the exact same feeling!

Happy emotion would probably be Robbo’s equaliser at VP when  a large section of the upper stand behind the goal were wildly celebrating that injury time goal ( along with me Big Grin ) or the comeback against the same lot 3-1 at the Hawthorns years ago. I seem to remember that snow was falling and was it Garry Thompson hanging in the air to get one of our goals? But my memories may not be correct!
(10-18-2019, 02:10 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: The best for me would also be Spurs at home 4 2 after being 2 0 down, tempered by the Spurs fans invading the Brummie at the end, followed by West Ham away 4 3 after 3 1 down. but two others stand out for what they actually meant at the end of the season, the first was Robinson's equalizer in added time at vile park and the second was Earnshaw's penalty equalizer at old trafford, both in the great escape season, if we hadn't had both those comeback's, the game against pompey meant nothing.
Another for me if only for comedic value was away at the etihad when Ireland was good enough to give us a late equalizer through an own goal, we still must be the only team in history that gained a 1 1 draw whilst not having a shot on or off target.
The worst is easy, Reading away 2 0 up, absolutely battering them with 10 mins to go, the whole away end singing " is this a fire drill " to the droves of Reading fans as they left, 10 mins and stoppage time later we left to a chorus of the same song from three sides of the ground, having lost 3 2.

Pedant point - think it was Richard Dunne who scored the OG past David James at the Etihad in the GE Season, not Stephen Ireland
When we drew 5-5 with United I absolutely couldn't stand them. I was jetlagged to hell and travelled straight from the airport to the game having flown from Canada. After 30 mins I was regretting it. By the end of the game it was worth it
The 3-4 at West Ham was unreal and yet, from the time we got the first, their was that feeling from their fans that they would self destruct. A great away day.
The 4-2 vs Spurs that Cornish mentioned. I reckon that's when it dawned on most Albion fans that we really had a good side that season. Where I used to stand, mid Brummie, 2 Spurs fans cheered their first and somehow got away with it. They didn't the 2nd time, God knows what on Earth possessed them but it was a suicide mission! I nearly got battered by our own for being in the way. Their mob stormed the Brummie at the end, most of our lot had left but steamed back in to remove them. Jeez, times were hairy back then.
For sheer misery, I'm surprised no one has brought up the QPR final, '67. 2-0 and we managed to lose to a 3rd division team. Us Albion fans were the laughing stock of the school on the Monday after.