"West Bromwich Albion"
H&J are the only good thing on there. Hawkesbee is a pleasure to listen to.

I don't mind Dants either due to his Musical Exchanges past and love of The Comic Strip's Bad News.
Jacob's is a misrable bastard I really cant stand him at all .
I've started listening to The Second Tier podcast, and they regularly refer to us as 'the Albion'.
(02-05-2020, 10:50 AM)Mr vertical Wrote: H&J are the only good thing on there. Hawkesbee is a pleasure to listen to.

I don't mind Dants either due to his Musical Exchanges past and love of The Comic Strip's Bad News.

Crikey, there's a blast from the past. The Comic Strip are probably worthy of a thread of their own sometime. I found it a bit hit and miss sometimes, but they certainly helped Channel 4 establish its identity as being a bit daring and a being very different to BBC and ITV at the time. One episode called 'Dirty Movie' particularly stuck in the memory.
Whatever became of The Throstles?
(02-05-2020, 02:15 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 10:50 AM)Mr vertical Wrote: H&J are the only good thing on there. Hawkesbee is a pleasure to listen to.

Crikey, there's a blast from the past. The Comic Strip are probably worthy of a thread of their own sometime. I found it a bit hit and miss sometimes, but they certainly helped Channel 4 establish its identity as being a bit daring and a being very different to BBC and ITV at the time. One episode called 'Dirty Movie' particularly stuck in the memory.
The very original Mr Bean iirc - the postman “funny name for a lobster”... I hope Rowan pays them royalties
(02-05-2020, 04:56 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Whatever became of The Throstles?

I can't remember anyone ever calling them that apart from newspapers. And a mate as a joke.
Mind you, my memory is that"Baggies" made a return in the 70s. I can remember a great Cup match at old Trafford, ended 1-1... Come on you Baggies ringing around the stadium as the 3 degrees murdered them.

Until then though Baggies was for old blokes in caps!

Replaced by ‘The Brom’.
(02-05-2020, 05:43 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:

I can't remember anyone ever calling them that apart from newspapers. And a mate as a joke.
Mind you, my memory is that"Baggies" made a return in the 70s. I can remember a great Cup match at old Trafford, ended 1-1... Come on you Baggies ringing around the stadium as the 3 degrees murdered them.

Until then though Baggies was for old blokes in caps!
Throstles, me neither.  Athough my Grandad confirmed it was our nickname (back in the day). As a kid in the 60's it was always The Albion but some older ones used to ask how the Baggies got on as we were walking home.

No one seems to know for sure, but Baggies was a bit of an insult aimed at our players that turned up Saturday, straight from work still wearing their leather chaps from the foundry.   Baggy shorts?  NO,  everyone wore those.

West Bromwich Albion.   Great name but it'll always be THE Albion.   West Brom, that's what we call the town.
 Bloody Hell, people have started calling Wolverhampton town centre, Wolves now.    Worlds gone t'ell in  n'ondcart.