Dingle Subway
(10-02-2019, 03:00 PM)Noibla Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 02:31 PM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 02:26 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 02:00 PM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 01:48 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: I don't really understand why the amenities around the ground are the clubs problem, so long as you can get a bite to eat and a few beers if you want, then most people are happy, I doubt you would increase the attendance greatly and thus push for ground expansion if you installed a couple of 4 star restaurants close by.

It comes down to how ambitious the owners and whether they would want to leave a legacy behind. Imagine if Albion owned all the land up till Apollo 2000(?) - not sure what it's called now, the name is alluding me. But Albion could make a little Albion tourist attraction so to speak. Few bars, restaurants etc. Maybe something kids related too.

With football stadia increasing when clubs have expanded, Albion should have the ambition to expand the stadium. That's not saying something ridiculous like 50,000. But aim should at least be 35k. We've actually decreased our capacity from our first PL season (circa 28,000) to what is now around 25-26k.

Just so I can get this vision of yours - I do understand that matchdays will draw people to the area, but what will be the attractions on the other 340 days of the year?

Make it more attractive to investors. Make into a mini Albion themed attraction. Similar to Star City in Birmingham, near Villa Park.

Really!!! i would hate to think of the others things you have going around in your head

I'm guessing you're not on your own.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5020968]

As someone who lives in Smethwick, I don't think the leisure complex idea is a bad idea.

The Hawthorns is in the centre of a densely populated area which mainly consists of young families. It could actually be quite popular and a good way of attracting people who may otherwise only watch football on tv, to be interested in the club.

The club should have purchased the Morrisons site when it was up for sale too - that does show lack of vision.
(10-02-2019, 04:45 PM)Squid Wrote: As someone who lives in Smethwick, I don't think the leisure complex idea is a bad idea.

The Hawthorns is in the centre of a densely populated area which mainly consists of young families. It could actually be quite popular and a good way of attracting people who may otherwise only watch football on tv, to be interested in the club.

The club should have purchased the Morrisons site when it was up for sale too - that does show lack of vision.

I reckon the transport links could support a leisure complex and hotel development. There's rail, Metro, buses and Mway.  Something similar to Star City, Junction 10 Walsall, M6, The Village, Dudley.  There's no doubt there is a lot of poverty around the place but those places seem to  "build it and they will come".   Just make sure it isn't open on Saturdays between
 3 and 5 o clock Big Grin
(10-02-2019, 04:45 PM)Squid Wrote: As someone who lives in Smethwick, I don't think the leisure complex idea is a bad idea.

I quite like the set up of New Square Shopping Centre and Astle Park in West Bromwich. It links nicely to Sandwell College. The club don’t own anything around there, hence why I don’t think building a new stadium there would be a good idea. Look at the amount of land there is in and around Smethwick. A lot of Indian functions take place around the Smethwick area.

Something the club should be doing is regenerating the area too. Again it comes down to visionary owners and there desire to leave a legacy or not
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f...s-17024067

Impressive plans by Villa (I have to say through gritted teeth). Wolves looking to do the same too.
(10-02-2019, 05:01 PM)Super_Slav Wrote:

I quite like the set up of New Square Shopping Centre and Astle Park in West Bromwich. It links nicely to Sandwell College. The club don’t own anything around there, hence why I don’t think building a new stadium there would be a good idea. Look at the amount of land there is in and around Smethwick. A lot of Indian functions take place around the Smethwick area.

Something the club should be doing is regenerating the area too. Again it comes down to visionary owners and there desire to leave a legacy or not

I agree making the area more of a venue for everyday use would make it a far more appealing place for the whole area and offer a link between the club and many of the residents and passers by who currently probably only see the club as an obstacle to avoid on a match day. Far better to mix retail and leisure in-conjunction with a bigger stadium used once every two weeks if you’re lucky.

(10-03-2019, 10:48 AM)Super_Slav Wrote: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f...s-17024067

Impressive plans by Villa (I have to say through gritted teeth). Wolves looking to do the same too.

More impressive than the Mail’s awful website
(10-02-2019, 01:48 PM)cornishbaggie Wrote: I don't really understand why the amenities around the ground are the clubs problem, so long as you can get a bite to eat and a few beers if you want, then most people are happy, I doubt you would increase the attendance greatly and thus push for ground expansion if you installed a couple of 4 star restaurants close by.

The trouble is you cant get a beer by the ground it's a 15 /20 minute walk
(10-02-2019, 12:48 PM)Super_Slav Wrote: The potential we have around The Hawthorns is massive. Increasing the stadium and amenities nearby is something the club should do. I suppose it depends on how progressive the owners are

The fact Morrisons opened a big supermarket nearby them closed it would suggest otherwise.
As much as I love the Albion and the town, there is no denying we are based in a shit hole of a location
(10-03-2019, 12:13 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 12:48 PM)Super_Slav Wrote: The potential we have around The Hawthorns is massive. Increasing the stadium and amenities nearby is something the club should do. I suppose it depends on how progressive the owners are

The fact Morrisons opened a big supermarket nearby them closed it would suggest otherwise.
As much as I love the Albion and the town, there is no denying we are based in a shit hole of a location

There’s been places that were once “shit holes” and now thriving. We are part of the community. We can be the change so to speak. Areas in the past have been regenerated
(10-03-2019, 10:48 AM)Super_Slav Wrote: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f...s-17024067

(10-03-2019, 12:22 PM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 12:13 PM)Sotv Wrote:

There’s been places that were once “shit holes” and now thriving. We are part of the community. We can be the change so to speak. Areas in the past have been regenerated

Correct and Villa is in a far bigger hole than us, we're just off a major motorway and yet it's not stopping them planning

Cheshire Oaks was once some tatty fields outside the deeply unimpressive Ellesmere Port, now it's one of the busiest shopping centres in the country. Vision, people vision!