Stoke
(09-14-2019, 06:30 PM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 06:25 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Would you all laugh if I said we could do with a bit of luck?

Having kept an eye from a distance it's really unbelievable how unlucky you are (coupled with how many mistakes butland has been making).

The problem is even if it's not entirely the managers fault, sometimes it takes a change of manager to get a bit more luck

It's starting to look that way, which is a shame because the bloke's very likeable. At the same time, the 'luck' thing only holds so much water before it just becomes a feeble excuse. A bit of good luck coming our way once in a while would be a blessed relief though.
Once upon a time other clubs used to think they were in for a tough game when the played Stoke now they have all the menace of fluffy kitten playing a piano.
Stoke have been chronically mismanaged for the last 2 years... everything their owners seem to do fails, despite form the outside looking in it being the right call.

Last year you kept your better players (I remember there being a lot of jealousy here when you convinced Allen to extend his deal) and spent money on solid, championship players last summer... also in Rowett you appointed a steady hand for this level.

It all went to shit, and you then appointed an up and coming manager who for the most part has made very decent signings on paper, yet somehow again it’s just not worked.

There has to be something endemically wrong with Stoke, as numerous different approaches have all failed horribly. I never thought I’d say this, but you could do a hell of a lot worse than giving Pulis a call. For all his faults, he’d get results out of the squad you have.
(09-14-2019, 08:39 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Stoke have been chronically mismanaged for the last 2 years... everything their owners seem to do fails, despite form the outside looking in it being the right call.

Last year you kept your better players (I remember there being a lot of jealousy here when you convinced Allen to extend his deal) and spent money on solid, championship players last summer... also in Rowett you appointed a steady hand for this level.

It all went to shit, and you then appointed an up and coming manager who for the most part has made very decent signings on paper, yet somehow again it’s just not worked.

There has to be something endemically wrong with Stoke, as numerous different approaches have all failed horribly. I never thought I’d say this, but you could do a hell of a lot worse than giving Pulis a call. For all his faults, he’d get results out of the squad you have.
Not until after we've played them. TTWTC always beats his former teams. Boro took 6 points off us last year
(09-14-2019, 08:39 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Stoke have been chronically mismanaged for the last 2 years... everything their owners seem to do fails, despite form the outside looking in it being the right call.

We were walking from the ground and after 5 minutes of trying to work out what the feck is going on, we came to the conclusion that there's literally no point in trying to analyse it any longer. We don't have a clue how it's gone so wrong. 

Interviews with the manager show a broken man who as good as admits he also hasn't a clue why it's gone so badly wrong. None of it makes any sense to anyone. 

I'm not sure Pulis' more recent record, not least with the Albion, lends itself to supposing he'd be the answer, though I'm sure some would see it as a joyous return. The thought just fills me with dread, and always will.
(09-14-2019, 09:12 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

We were walking from the ground and after 5 minutes of trying to work out what the feck is going on, we came to the conclusion that there's literally no point in trying to analyse it any longer. We don't have a clue how it's gone so wrong. 

Interviews with the manager show a broken man who as good as admits he also hasn't a clue why it's gone so badly wrong. None of it makes any sense to anyone. 

I'm not sure Pulis' more recent record, not least with the Albion, lends itself to supposing he'd be the answer, though I'm sure some would see it as a joyous return. The thought just fills me with dread, and always will.

What's TP's relationship with Coates like now DK? Did they part on good terms?

I'm not sure it would be a good move. I'm starting to think TP has come to the end of his career.
(09-14-2019, 06:34 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 06:28 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 06:25 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Would you all laugh if I said we could do with a bit of luck?

Did you deserve more DK? Trouble is that NJ says that even when you get thumped

True, but I don't, Manc. When we're shit, which we usually are, I'll say so, but we really can't buy a break at the moment. 

We looked comfortable for large periods of the match, but then two crosses and two practically identical goals and it's all over. Again. It's soul destroying at the moment.

The only bit of light relief for me was a few minutes after the sending off, Junior piped up with "At least we won't have to play Allen for the next few games." The cynicism is catching.

Long may it continue.  (sorry DK)
(09-14-2019, 11:06 PM)Peachy Wrote:

I'm not sure it would be a good move. I'm starting to think TP has come to the end of his career.

His recent Telegraph interview would strongly suggest otherwise. He sounded very keen to be employed again and was very wistful about his time at Stoke. I think he'll return.

A greedy man like him will always want to be earning money.

Regrettably Peachy, I believe the relationship is still very good. Pulis’ daughter got married about a year or so after the club had parted company with him, and Coates was a welcome guest at the wedding so there was clearly no bad feelings between them, even then. I can also vaguely remember something about Pulis ringing Coates for advice as to whether or not to take the Palace job.

Pulis and our CEO, Tony Scholes, hate each other, and Scholes was the main influence in Stoke getting rid of Pulis. Coates was persuaded against his better judgement by Scholes and other board/family members to ditch him. Unfortunately, it’s not gone well since Hughes lost the plot and we’re now in a position where the return of the Pulis is being thought of as viable or even a good thing by some of our supporters - because only Tony can save us - FFS.

Some have even suggested that Scholes has issued an “If he returns, I go” ultimatum, which doesn’t really help, given that Scholes’ resignation would actually be seen as an inducement to supporters to welcome the anti-footballing one back.

Dark days mate - I know how much you’ll feel for us at this time.  [Image: rolleyes.png]
(09-15-2019, 12:55 AM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

Regrettably Peachy, I believe the relationship is still very good. Pulis’ daughter got married about a year or so after the club had parted company with him, and Coates was a welcome guest at the wedding so there was clearly no bad feelings between them, even then. I can also vaguely remember something about Pulis ringing Coates for advice as to whether or not to take the Palace job.

Pulis and our CEO, Tony Scholes, hate each other, and Scholes was the main influence in Stoke getting rid of Pulis. Coates was persuaded against his better judgement by Scholes and other board/family members to ditch him. Unfortunately, it’s not gone well since Hughes lost the plot and we’re now in a position where the return of the Pulis is being thought of as viable or even a good thing by some of our supporters - because only Tony can save us - FFS.

Some have even suggested that Scholes has issued an “If he returns, I go” ultimatum, which doesn’t really help, given that Scholes’ resignation would actually be seen as an inducement to supporters to welcome the anti-footballing one back.

Dark days mate - I know how much you’ll feel for us at this time.  [Image: rolleyes.png]

Interesting stuff DK. Trust me the last thing I want to see is TP back at your place. Normal service will be resumed and we'll hand over the 6 points!

There's plenty out there who could "save" you. Not that you need saving. You'll be in no trouble this season imo.

Alex Neil at Preston would be my bet for you. Not sure if he'd leave but it would be a good fit.