Edinburgh Festival
(08-17-2019, 01:02 PM)Mish Wrote: Always fancied going to the fringe.  However I was in Edinburgh with work on Thursday and Friday, and what a colossal pain in the arse it is getting around town whilst it's on.

For anybody going during festival time, The Royal Mile in particular can be a bit tortuous to navigate. One way around some of the problems is to cut through Waverley station, using the walkway across towards platform 11, out through the car park alongside the tracks and across to the steps in the far corner. Cuts out a big, and busy, chunk of Canongate and deposits you much closer to Holyrood and the park.

Obviously if you enjoy the vibe of the crowds and street entertainers then this won't be an issue, but it can be handy for anybody heading for the crags.
(08-18-2019, 10:21 AM)Ossian Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 01:02 PM)Mish Wrote: Always fancied going to the fringe.  However I was in Edinburgh with work on Thursday and Friday, and what a colossal pain in the arse it is getting around town whilst it's on.

For anybody going during festival time, The Royal Mile in particular can be a bit tortuous to navigate. One way around some of the problems is to cut through Waverley station, using the walkway across towards platform 11, out through the car park alongside the tracks and across to the steps in the far corner. Cuts out a big, and busy, chunk of Canongate and deposits you much closer to Holyrood and the park.

Obviously if you enjoy the vibe of the crowds and street entertainers then this won't be an issue, but it can be handy for anybody heading for the crags.

But don't do this in the dark unless you want to see Trainspotting Live!
just back after a long weekend - you may be interested to know that in one of the cabins in the engine room of HMRY Britannia hangs an Albion scarf - couldn't believe my eyes!
(08-27-2019, 12:58 PM)igorbalis Wrote: just back after a long weekend - you may be interested to know that in one of the cabins in the engine room of HMRY Britannia hangs an Albion scarf - couldn't believe my eyes!

Currently at Edinburgh Airport.

That scarf has been there a while!'
(08-27-2019, 12:58 PM)igorbalis Wrote: just back after a long weekend - you may be interested to know that in one of the cabins in the engine room of HMRY Britannia hangs an Albion scarf - couldn't believe my eyes!

Great place to visit.

The Albion scarf is the icing on the cake...