Defending
I was away on Tuesday night, so I discovered the final score as I wandered back to a shite hotel in Hull after a rubbish meal with tedious work-mates.

And now I'm back, I've caught up on the highlights from yesterday and Saturday. Our defending of set pieces is feckin' woeful. No Albion head getting to the ball first, no-one sharp enough to react to the "second ball", loads of arm-waving when it's too late.

This isn't about personnel. OK, so Bartley, Semi, O'Shea aren't as good as Hegazi, Dawson, GMac, Olsson, Evans before his head got stuck up his arse. But this is about coaching. Bilic is already telling the Express and Star what his players need to do to defend set pieces. The evidence is that he isn't telling his players that on the training ground. It's like last season only worse. If he doesn't get the defence functioning, we will be out of contention in a matter of weeks. Last year the goals of Barnes, JRod and Gayle masked the defensive frailties for months. That won't be happening this season.
New manager and new players including in defence at the start of the season - so I think it is too soon to say what the evidence is suggesting other than there is still work to be done
(08-14-2019, 09:32 PM)Thurso Pickle Rick Wrote: New manager and new players including in defence at the start of the season - so I think it is too soon to say what the evidence is suggesting other than there is still work to be done

And that's exactly what's bothering me. We are turning a collective blind eye to some truly awful defending. Maybe Bilic will fix it at Luton.
Just seen old footage of Bilic when he was West Ham manager,complaining about his West Ham team conceding set piece goals and it costing the team .Welcome to zonal marking.
(08-14-2019, 09:42 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 09:32 PM)Thurso Pickle Rick Wrote: New manager and new players including in defence at the start of the season - so I think it is too soon to say what the evidence is suggesting other than there is still work to be done

And that's exactly what's bothering me. We are turning a collective blind eye to some truly awful defending. Maybe Bilic will fix it at Luton.

I don't think there is evidence for turning a blind eye myself either by not jumping to conclusions about what Bilic is doing on the training ground after 2 league games and a cup tie or what will be addressed or not - hopefully all weaknesses will be - we don't know yet
(08-14-2019, 09:22 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I was away on Tuesday night, so I discovered the final score as I wandered back to a shite hotel in Hull after a rubbish meal with tedious work-mates.

And now I'm back, I've caught up on the highlights from yesterday and Saturday. Our defending of set pieces is feckin' woeful. No Albion head getting to the ball first, no-one sharp enough to react to the "second ball", loads of arm-waving when it's too late.

This isn't about personnel. OK, so Bartley, Semi, O'Shea aren't as good as Hegazi, Dawson, GMac, Olsson, Evans before his head got stuck up his arse. But this is about coaching. Bilic is already telling the Express and Star what his players need to do to defend set pieces. The evidence is that he isn't telling his players that on the training ground. It's like last season only worse. If he doesn't get the defence functioning, we will be out of contention in a matter of weeks. Last year the goals of Barnes, JRod and Gayle masked the defensive frailties for months. That won't be happening this season.

Although it's early days I do agree, this has to be nipped in the bud before it causes much more damage. It's the responsibility of the manager and coaches to ensure we defend effectively, over the years I've seen the same players defend terribly under one manager but very well for another so it's not the players ability that's the issue more how it's worked on in training and the manager ensuring the message gets across.
(08-14-2019, 09:48 PM)Huggybear Wrote: Just seen old footage of Bilic when he was West Ham manager,complaining about his West Ham team conceding set piece goals and it costing the team .Welcome to zonal marking.

That's what's doing it - the zonal marking. I don't think we're doing too badly from open play, it's the zonal marking at set pieces that's the problem.

Get rid of that and we'll be better.
Refugee from westbrom.com
I don't think we look too bad in open play, defending wise. The marking and sheer panic we have when facing set pieces is worrying.
Clarnet v2.0
What I’m surprised by is people being surprised by a Bilic team been poor at defending set pieces.
(08-15-2019, 07:55 AM)Fall Out Boy Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 09:48 PM)Huggybear Wrote: Just seen old footage of Bilic when he was West Ham manager,complaining about his West Ham team conceding set piece goals and it costing the team .Welcome to zonal marking.

That's what's doing it - the zonal marking. I don't think we're doing too badly from open play, it's the zonal marking at set pieces that's the problem.

Get rid of that and we'll be better.

Zonal marking causes no more goals than man to man, it’s just in man to man marking the player who loses his man gets the blame, and under zonal it’s the system. We played man to man marking last season and were far from competent when balls came into our box.

Against Millwall man to man marking wouldn’t have improved our defending one bit, as OShea, Furlong and Townsend are all under 6 foot (Townsend is 5’6!) meaning we only had one 6footer in defence and we’d out Ajayi into the most dangerous area. Unfortunately Millwall saw the opportunity in the same way we did to great effect when we beat Arsenal off 3 set pieces under Pulis. When he saw our line up I bet Harris couldn’t believe his luck and informed his lads to go down under any challenge around the box.

With Ferguson, Sawyers, Krov, Edwards we have a lot more smaller guys in our side than we have for a while. 

It’s also worth remembering George Graham’s Arsenal marked zonally...