Gayle
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201...newcastle/

It won’t go away
Leeds or Nottingham Forest
Gayle would surely choose us if this happens, especially if he saw how we played the weekend.
If we are in for him, he is allowed to leave and he has a choice of Championship clubs, he will be coming back to us. It will probably cost us about £3.5m for the season but the pot should be big enough to cover that. Really can't see him choosing anywhere else as he wanted to come back but then again, this was before we sold his mate Rodriguez.
Noone in this league is going to buy Gayle and pay his wages, the only hope Newcastle have of getting a £10m+ fee plus moving his 50k/wk wages is if a PL side or a Chinese/Turkish etc. side come in for him. The former is a risk, but seems unlikely, and the latter all depends on whether Gayle wants to move abroad.

Realistically the best deal Newcastle can hope for is a loan to perm upon promotion deal from us, Leeds, Stoke etc... I'd imagine in that scenario, Newcastle will favour the club they feel most likely to win promotion - probably us or Leeds - and hopefully thanks to last season, Gayle would favour us.

A loan deal covering all his wages, plus a couple million fee would make the whole deal worth about £5m (about what we received for Rogers/Leeds received for Roofe) with an agreement to purchase for £7-8m should we get promoted should be enough IMO and would work for all parties... Come the summer Gayle will only have 12 months left on his deal and be approaching 30, and I'm sure a relegated PL side would be more than happy to throw £5m + 12months of wages at him so Newcastle surely wouldn't be missing out.
(08-05-2019, 10:21 AM)Lightnin Wrote: If we are in for him, he is allowed to leave and he has a choice of Championship clubs, he will be coming back to us. It will probably cost us about £3.5m for the season but the pot should be big enough to cover that. Really can't see him choosing anywhere else as he wanted to come back but then again, this was before we sold his mate Rodriguez.

Heard he is very good mates with Jake and Gibbs too.

I think he'd choose us if, and it's a big if, we were all offering a similar wedge.

Leeds will soon have the Roofe money burning a hole in their pocket so we need to get a shift on. Not sure he'd fit a Bielsa side though. Don't know why but just a gut feeling.
Its the hope wot kills ya!
Too good to consider, I need to go back to assuming it cannot happen
(08-05-2019, 10:38 AM)Stratfordbaggie Wrote: Too good to consider, I need to go back to assuming it cannot happen

Agreed. As we well know, it's the hope that kills you!
He's the Lukaku of yester-year.

Who will be our Anichebe....