One for the cricket buffs
Why have the changed the method of deciding tied limited overs games.

When I took more of an interest it was always the team that had lost the fewest wickets that won - boring but possibly more fair.

Have they changed it to the one over format just for a greater entertainment factor or was there a moral judgement that this system is more fairer.
Yes, it always was the fewest wickets lost. I'm guessing the authorities think this is the more interesting. Personally the old method has to be more worthy. Whatever, the drama of yesterday doesn't come around often.
The current method is probably a reward for being more inclined to chuck the bat at it rather than protecting wickets. I doubt that could ever come into the thinking for teams in a limited overs match though, so it's hardly an incentive. 

The old method does look fairer on the face of it, but both teams knew the rules before they started. You couldn't blame the New Zealand players for thinking everything went against them though.
If it had been based on wickets then England wouldn't have tried to make the 2nd run in the last ball of the 50 overs, so they game would still have been tied.
Whatever the reason for changing the rules is irrelevant because that ending was the mutts nuts.
(07-15-2019, 08:05 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Whatever the reason for changing the rules is irrelevant because that ending was the mutts nuts.

Agreed, but if we were in NZ's position I think we'd have a mile long list of what ifs. As it is, it was probably the most uplifting sporting events I can remember for a long time.
Apparently they're (well some top umpire) that the second run when the ball deflected off the bat wasn't far enough concluded when the fielder threw, so we should only have had 5 and not 6...
(07-15-2019, 08:10 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 08:05 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Whatever the reason for changing the rules is irrelevant because that ending was the mutts nuts.

Agreed, but if we were in NZ's position I think we'd have a mile long list of what ifs. As it is, it was probably the most uplifting sporting events I can remember for a long time.

True but we weren't  Tongue
(07-15-2019, 08:17 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 08:10 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:

True but we weren't  Tongue

I know. I just can't help putting myself in their position. Admittedly I've got a big grin on my face while I'm doing it.
(07-15-2019, 08:14 PM)MassDebater Wrote: Apparently they're (well some top umpire) that the second run when the ball deflected off the bat wasn't far enough concluded when the fielder threw, so we should only have had 5 and not 6...

They're saying the batsmen hadn't crossed for the second run when the ball was thrown. All part of the drama. Some you win and............