Bilic concerns
(07-15-2019, 09:12 PM)The liquidator Wrote: He crippled our fan base he divided it I know you will never admit it .

Some good points in this debate. Pulis was exactly what we needed after the disasters of Mel and Irvine. Perhaps we should have persisted with Clarke; I don't know. Hindsight is 20/20. But Pulis kept upa lopsided team and got them to 13th in 2015 - a fantastic achievement. No one was complaining when we beat the champions 3-0 at The Hawthorns. A great night. However, by Spring of 2017, something was unravelling and the then Chairman, Williams, should have jettisoned him before the end of the season; or at least that Summer. 

Derek is correct,to a point, the gates were not really down in terms of numbers - in fact some of our recent lowest were in the Di Matteo & Hodgson seasons. 22k v Stoke and 23 k v Blues. And others. However, in terms of how the fanbase felt towards - then that's another matter. I am sure the same happened at Stoke and would have possibly happened at Palace if he'd stayed longer. There were bored spats (still are now), squabbles in the stands and it was clear that only victories week in and week out would placate 65-70% of supporters towards the end. He's ok when things are running smoothly, but when the players get fed up of being regimented - especially attacking, creatives ones, then you start to get a poor return. The fans could see this, but there are some who thought we were punching above our weight in 8th. I never bought that, you keep punching or you drop. Which is where we are now.  So as for Pulis himself, he is marmite.
(07-16-2019, 06:43 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 09:12 PM)The liquidator Wrote: He crippled our fan base he divided it I know you will never admit it .

Some good points in this debate. Pulis was exactly what we needed after the disasters of Mel and Irvine. Perhaps we should have persisted with Clarke; I don't know. Hindsight is 20/20. But Pulis kept upa lopsided team and got them to 13th in 2015 - a fantastic achievement. No one was complaining when we beat the champions 3-0 at The Hawthorns. A great night. However, by Spring of 2017, something was unravelling and the then Chairman, Williams, should have jettisoned him before the end of the season; or at least that Summer. 

Derek is correct,to a point, the gates were not really down in terms of numbers - in fact some of our recent lowest were in the Di Matteo & Hodgson seasons. 22k v Stoke and 23 k v Blues. And others. However, in terms of how the fanbase felt towards - then that's another matter. I am sure the same happened at Stoke and would have possibly happened at Palace if he'd stayed longer. There were bored spats (still are now), squabbles in the stands and it was clear that only victories week in and week out would placate 65-70% of supporters towards the end. He's ok when things are running smoothly, but when the players get fed up of being regimented - especially attacking, creatives ones, then you start to get a poor return. The fans could see this, but there are some who thought we were punching above our weight in 8th. I never bought that, you keep punching or you drop. Which is where we are now.  So as for Pulis himself, he is marmite.

Pressure to drop TP when there was no one available and willing to come to us of any substance fucked us up. It would have been soul destroying to watch but he would have ground out enough points to keep us up until the right man was available to replace him. Instead we knee jerked and replaced him with a tosser who hadn't worked for ages before or since.
(07-15-2019, 08:03 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 06:47 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 02:40 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 02:26 PM)The liquidator Wrote: The demise of us was pulis and pardew

You missed the Garlick, Irvine and Burton debacle then?

Pulis crippled our fan base and it hasn't recovered he is our equivalent to Brexit

He crippled our fan base? Leaving the histrionics to one side in what way we’re we crippled? Gates were down on average around 700-1000k on some recent seasons. We were bought utter shite the season he arrived and steered us away from relegation with NO resale value.

The announced gates and number people actually going to games are two entirely different things, as I'm sure you well know...
MT no point in debating with him on this he is still on pulis payroll
What’s it matter how many people go to a game ? You sound like seals.

It’s history now but fact is like it or not under him we finished 10th in the Premier league and competed, often beating the biggest teams in the country.
That won’t happen again now for years, perhaps decades.

By the time Lai has finished his asset stripping the Pulis years will be seen as halcyon days in the grand scheme of things.
(07-16-2019, 08:43 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 02:40 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 02:26 PM)The liquidator Wrote: The demise of us was pulis and pardew

You missed the Garlick, Irvine and Burton debacle then?

Pulis crippled our fan base and it hasn't recovered he is our equivalent to Brexit

He crippled our fan base? Leaving the histrionics to one side in what way we’re we crippled? Gates were down on average around 700-1000k on some recent seasons. We were bought utter shite the season he arrived and steered us away from relegation with NO resale value.

The announced gates and number people actually going to games are two entirely different things, as I'm sure you well know...

The pissing and moaning brigade on here are also not an accurate representation of the fan base as a whole MT. My original point wasn’t to defend Pulis but to highlight the rewriting / white washing of history that occurs when people talk about where it all went wrong. For example:

We had a lawyer as DoF 
We bought Mel to the club but insisted he had to use our coaches 
We then brought Burton and Irvine to the club ffs 
We then allowed almost half a squad to leave for free
We then replaced them with utter shite that we couldn’t sell and simply let go of.

The only reason Pulis was employed was to keep us up and steady the ship for selling the club. The only reason we needed to steady the ship was the mess we got ourselves into before he arrived. So when idiotic comments are made by some fans about Pulis left us with no players to sell, or say it was ok before he arrived I will always call it out as bullshit because it is.
(07-16-2019, 08:53 AM)The Surgeon Wrote: What’s it matter how many people go to a game ? You sound like seals.

It’s history now but fact is like it or not under him we finished 10th in the Premier league and competed, often beating the biggest teams in the country.

By the time Lai has finished his asset stripping the Pulis years will be seen as halcyon days in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe the case. What I can't excuse is the way at the end of that season Pulis threw in the towel and we lost 12 of 15 games or thereabouts. Instead of planning for our future he planned for his pension pot. He let the players revolt and he clearly had no intention of having a clear plan for the following season which culminated in the most abysmal 1 0 loss at Huddersfield which ultimately was the difference in the end between us staying up and getting relegated.

I will never ever view Pulis period as halcyon. He traded 1 10th spot and his multi million payout for the heart soul and future of our club. I will view that period as the lowest ebb in my 50 years as a supporter
3 in 23 was his record and still the idiots were singing his name .
(07-16-2019, 09:12 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 08:53 AM)The Surgeon Wrote: What’s it matter how many people go to a game ? You sound like seals.

Maybe the case. What I can't excuse is the way at the end of that season Pulis threw in the towel and we lost 12 of 15 games or thereabouts. Instead of planning for our future he planned for his pension pot. He let the players revolt and he clearly had no intention of having a clear plan for the following season which culminated in the most abysmal 1 0 loss at Huddersfield which ultimately was the difference in the end between us staying up and getting relegated.

I will never ever view Pulis period as halcyon. He traded 1 10th spot and his multi million payout for the heart soul and future of our club. I will view that period as the lowest ebb in my 50 years as a supporter

That's exactly what he did and most of us know it.
(07-16-2019, 09:07 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 08:43 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 02:40 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: You missed the Garlick, Irvine and Burton debacle then?

The pissing and moaning brigade on here are also not an accurate representation of the fan base as a whole MT. My original point wasn’t to defend Pulis but to highlight the rewriting / white washing of history that occurs when people talk about where it all went wrong. For example:

We had a lawyer as DoF 
We bought Mel to the club but insisted he had to use our coaches 
We then brought Burton and Irvine to the club ffs 
We then allowed almost half a squad to leave for free
We then replaced them with utter shite that we couldn’t sell and simply let go of.

The only reason Pulis was employed was to keep us up and steady the ship for selling the club. The only reason we needed to steady the ship was the mess we got ourselves into before he arrived. So when idiotic comments are made by some fans about Pulis left us with no players to sell, or say it was ok before he arrived I will always call it out as bullshit because it is.

Can't argue with any of that. The support was totally decimated under Pulis, though, particularly away from home.