Managers
In the 51 years I have followed the Baggies, we have had 31 managers, only 5 of them none British.
We have also had 18 caretaker managers, which only 2 went on to be permanent, Brian Talbot and Darren Moore, Shan is the longest serving caretaker with 12 games.
Gary Megson did permanent and then caretaker.
Megson is the longest serving with 221 + 2, followed by Alan Ashman with 182.
1 has won the F A cup, Alan Ashman, 1 has reached a League cup Final, Alan Ashman, 4 have reached F A cup Semi Finals, Ashman, Atkinson, Allen and Mowbray, 1 has reached a League cup Semi Final, Allen.
5 have won us promotion, Giles, Ardiles, Megson ( twice ), Mowbray and De Matteo.
7 have suffered relegation, Howe, Saunders, Gould, Megson, Robson, Mowbray and Moore.
Cool.
(06-14-2019, 08:13 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: In the 51 years I have followed the Baggies, we have had 31 managers, only 5 of them none British.
We have also had 18 caretaker managers, which only 2 went on to be permanent, Brian Talbot and Darren Moore, Shan is the longest serving caretaker with 12 games.
1 has won the F A cup, Alan Ashman, 1 has reached a League cup Final, Alan Ashman, 4 have reached F A cup Semi Finals, Ashman, Atkinson, Allen and Mowbray, 1 has reached a League cup Semi Final, Allen.
5 have won us promotion, Giles, Ardiles, Megson ( twice ), Mowbray and De Matteo.
7 have suffered relegation, Howe, Saunders, Gould, Megson, Robson, Mowbray and Moore.

Lots of M n A there.

Go on then, rank em!
(06-14-2019, 08:28 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 08:13 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: In the 51 years I have followed the Baggies, we have had 31 managers, only 5 of them none British.

Lots of M n A there.

Go on then, rank em!

AA by a country mile. Best team and tactics att.
What's your cumulative mileage for those years Cornish? You must buy a new car every six months!
52 years for me. Started in 1967. Ashman was manager. I always wondered how many managers I'd gone thru and never worked it out. Ta!.. Interesting.
The old man did 71 years till Pulis and a bad hip finished him off.
(06-14-2019, 09:43 AM)Mr vertical Wrote: What's your cumulative mileage for those years Cornish? You must buy a new car every six months!

Christ I wouldn't want to even guess, tbf I've only travelled from Cornwall for 39 of those 51 years

I go back just a tadge further to you to Jimmy Hagan. One of my first memories was the players strike. The players went on strike on New Years Day 1964 over not being allowed to wear track suit bottoms during training.  

"Compromise was eventually established between the disciplinarian manager and his squad when it was announced the players would be allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms to warm up in but not during sessions themselves. There was an ironic twist around the same time when Hagan pressed the wrong pedal while trying to depart the training ground and hurtled 40ft down a steep bank into the adjacent canal. Several of his players saved him from an icy death but, on hearing puffing and panting during the rescue mission, the Sheffield United legend reportedly told one of them: “You're not fit.....extra training this afternoon!”

[Image: DxmVyiLXcAEsuQH.jpg]
It's a lousy record really, in terms of giving them time.

And we've never had what you could call a Great manager.
Nearest is probably Ashman or (earlier than all this-or my time) Vic Buckingham.
Both sacked. Obviously.
Megson understandably great for younger fans. But promotion not really enough to compare with others on the list.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the great Ronnie Allen did... I think we just took that sort of Cup success for granted then!
Managers do have different characters, Atkinson was a character all on his own and Roy was the most professional. Maybe it could be a post managers and one word to describe them ?