Competition intensifies to see who can be the most right wing Tory leader...
At one time I could have had promotion, a complete change in my contract and more responsibilities. I had been in the 40% bracket for some years and paying half my salary in NI & tax (IIRC) over 34000 for some years, with that threshold rising a bit every year. I think I would have been good at the job that was coming my way, but I honestly couldn’t see the point. So I stayed where I was and didn’t regret it. I have mixed views about the threshold which clearly discourages good people from taking on more responsibility, which in the long run benefit society and business.

(06-11-2019, 04:28 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 08:00 AM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 06:07 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:27 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:14 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: I think a move to raise the 40% tax threshold towards £80k is a great idea. Let people be incentivised to work harder and earn more knowing if you do you keep more in your pocket which is exactly how it should be! After all, who is better at spending your money - you or the continually shite red and blue govt we end up with!

If you want to give a tax cut, increase the personal allowance. Then those who need the money benefit as well as those who earn £50k-£80k.

Tax cuts for the rich at the expense of the poor are just stupid, and the same job doesn't pay the same everywhere in the country.

Plus some jobs don’t pay as much but offer more to society. Saying such a glib things as “work harder” is the height of crass stupidity. Actually it’s worse than that it’s dangerously flippant and utterly stupid.

Borin Baggie - it's about being fair not stupid! But I agree a raise to the threshold of personal tax allowance is also a good idea. People should generally keep what they earn but of course some national services do need funding. I would prefer the govt put higher taxes on some things we buy - luxury goods for example and just think taking 40% of your pay when earning under £80k is criminal - and no I don't earn that much yet!!!!

It isn't 40% of your pay, it's 40% of anything over £50k. Anything you earn under that is at the previous rate. That's how our tax system works. e.g. if you're on £50,001, then that higher rate only applies to the £1 over the threshold, meaning your contribution to the higher rate is 40p.

And taxing goods is regressive, it puts disproportionate pressure on the poor.

Of course if you have the chance to do some extra work to the tune of £1000 you do it for £500. Why bother?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Competition intensifies to see who can be the most right wing Tory leader... - by Pontificator - 06-12-2019, 07:33 AM