Brexit Party
(07-04-2019, 10:37 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 08:03 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 07:48 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 07:43 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote: “The BBC that’s afraid to publish any criticism of Brexit”. Really?
Like this article for instance? “Ffs”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47055188

On Monday 18th Feb., Honda announced that it was closing its Swindon plant with the loss of up to 3,500 British jobs, the full reasons for which would be explained later. Without waiting for that explanation, the BBC decided that the whole thing was due to Brexit despite the vice president of Honda Europe saying: “This is not a Brexit-related issue.” It’s web article even referenced Sky News, a rival organisation, to point the finger at Brexit and included a link to a story about Nissan worded “Nissan ALSO cited Brexit”

Between September 2002 and June 2015, News-watch monitored Radio 4's Today programme for 324 weeks, amounting to 1,944 editions. There were 232 hours of EU-related feature coverage, and 5,113 guest speakers contributed to the EU debate.
"174 speakers (3.4%) were identifiable advocates of withdrawal. Of this group, only five speakers (0.1% of the total EU contributors) were left-wing advocates of Brexit." Despite some four million Labour supportsvoting leave.

Newsbeat is BBC Radio 1's flagship news programme aimed at a young audience. The News-watch survey, of the ten weeks of the campaign, showed there was a failure to meet the strict 'broad balance' requirement. There were 1.5 times more Remain than Leave supporters. (Might explain why many younger people voted remain)

BBC2's Newsnight broadcast on 23 January 2013, the day David Cameron announced an in/out referendum on our membership of the EU. The BBC Trust argued that the announcement was not a 'decisive moment' in the EU debate, and therefore the imbalance of 18 pro-EU speakers to one withdrawalist was acceptable

The Institute of Economic Affairs research on the BBC’s Question Time Brexit bias has found the programme is heavily weighted towards Remain. The IEA’s research found that 69% of guests in the 18 months after the Brexit referendum had supported the Remain campaign

Between 2017 and 2019, Question Time has featured 303 Remainers and 152 Leavers, a bias of almost exactly two to one.
BBC radio’s own “Feedback” programme was inundated with complaints that The News Quiz was totally filled with panelists to “Lampoon” Brexit voters. When was the last time there was a joke against remainers heard on Mock the Week or any comedy or light entertainment programme?

This might give a little explanation:
A spokesman for BBC Media action told Express.co.uk: “In the financial year 2017-18, BBC Media Action received approximately £3.1million from the European Commission.

In 2015, the Daily Telegraph reported that BBC Media Action received £9.3million between 2011 and 2014, much of it to deliver the EU's "European Neighbourhood Policy".
According to the publication, EU officials described the sum as a "broad political strategy", designed to strengthen the "prosperity, stability and security of Europe's neighbourhood in order to avoid any dividing lines between the enlarged EU and its direct neighbours".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/112500...rendum-spt

When was the last time you voted for the President of the EU commission or the President of the EU council? The bodies that actually decide and make EU law with MEPs only able to question them and make “suggestions”. MEPs don’t even have an input in deciding the candidates short list that they vote on for those two influential positions.

How much does LBC Radio get?  Big Grin

Whilst we are on the subject of funding I’m looking forward to seeing what the publicly funded ERG research entails.
 Well done for conveniently ignoring all the stuff on the BBC.  Rolleyes

I answered the point you made about the BBC, but to add the BBC are also beholden to this dysfunctional, fucktwit government we currently have too and they seem hell bent on a dead ard Brexit, so forgive me for thinking your argument is flawed. As for LBC crikey as Chris Leptowski (spelling) said you are (very) wide of the mark.  Big Grin

Awaits a TV channel, whose news reports blare out the screen with air raid sirens, presenters in military attire with the slogan Taking Back Control in the background. No one under the age 0f 45 need apply for jobs with them.  Wink
Re your answer on the BBC, you simplify said that both extremes believed they were agen um. You have not addressed the evidence that they are constantly anti Brexit. If anyone’s argument is flawed it’s the one of us who ignores empirical evidence.
Still, expect you will be happier with a U.K. version of TASS or better still, PRAVDA. it’ll come sone enough in your beloved Soviet Republic of Europe.  Big Grin See, you are not the only one who can resort to Reductio ad Absudrum.  Rolleyes
As for LBC, I give you James O’Brien. Who constantly rails against Brexit. He has even compared Amber Rudd to Hitler. Seems to be a common practice for lefties to smear anyone to the right of their beliefs as Nazies.
Ironic that leave supporter, having being asked to provide any reasoned argument for leaving and failing, should criticise anyone for not addressing the evidence.

And the latest bollox being spouted by the Brexit MEPs - We're leaving because we're oppressed:

“It is right because there is a patten consistent throughout history of oppressed people turning on the oppressors. Slaves against their owners. The peasantry against the feudal barons,” Widdecombe said.

“Colonies, Mr Verhofstadt, against their empires. And that is why Britain is leaving.”

Fuck me - what a buch of fuckwits. That's exactly what you are aligning yourself with JOK.
(07-04-2019, 12:42 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Ironic that leave supporter, having being asked to provide any reasoned argument for leaving and failing, should criticise anyone for not addressing the evidence.

And the latest bollox being spouted by the Brexit MEPs - We're leaving because we're oppressed:

“It is right because there is a patten consistent throughout history of oppressed people turning on the oppressors. Slaves against their owners. The peasantry against the feudal barons,” Widdecombe said.

“Colonies, Mr Verhofstadt, against their empires. And that is why Britain is leaving.”

Fuck me - what a buch of fuckwits. That's exactly what you are aligning yourself with JOK.
Firstly, I have stated my reasons for voting as I did, on the previous incarnation of this bored.
Secondly, where have I shown any alignment or support for the Brexit Party? I simply refute or balance some of the biases on here but mostly, I take exception to being called all kinds of epithets, “numptie” being the most civil, simply for holding a different view.
I can not support any political party, or most politicians for that matter, if they did their job diligently and considered the people they are supposed to represent there would be no room or support for Farage and his party.
(07-03-2019, 08:43 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: John Osborne’s Knuckle
Derek Hardballs
I John Osborne’s Knuckle
Derek, you can’t stick photos on here and say “ I’ll just leave this here” then say it is not your view. Clearly there are plenty on here that took the inference you know you were making. You say you have not personally insulted or denigrated some on here but, again, I say you do. Just because you haven’t written ‘JOK you are an unintelligent, selfish racist’ or ‘Pige you’re a Nazi’, you have. Because we may have voted differently to you or hold opposing opinions you make sweeping generalisations that those that voted leave or indeed support a different political party are ‘racist’, ‘Nazis’, ‘selfish’, ‘uncaring’ and elitist. Just look at all your posts. You call us all those things by implication or association. You know you do.
As regards comparing Brexit Party MEPs with the NSDAP, it’s not just 80 year old and now defunct political parties that are Anti-Semitic is it?
And just so you can accuse me of ‘Whataboutery’, was it acceptable for Labour activists to dishonour a minutes silence for Tessa Jowell because they didn’t agree with her stand on some issues? Is a bunch of senior Labour Party front benchers attending an Anti Trump rally being very respectful of the office of the President of the United states. I would suggest not. And neither is Corbyn refusing the invitation to the state banquet.
The, not very liberal, Liberal Democrats (one of your lovely ‘centre ground’ parties) wrote an open letter stating that Trump “was not welcome”. Is that respectful of a sovereign power? But I suppose you consider some political gestures are more acceptable by who does them.
Let’s not forget that the E.U., however much some of the big wigs at the top think or wish is was, is NOT a sovereign state. It is basically a quango.

Those that took offence i will apologise to. It was not a personal dig at anyone. However I’m not going to censor what is already being discussed by thousands of people all day on other platforms. If the childish protest hadn’t occurred in a parliament building there would be nothing to compare or talk about. It was a crass thing to do.  

The symbolism of the images were widely discussed and shared on social media yesterday as it was discussed at length on LBC radio and the BBC notably online. Should I have pretended they weren’t made so as not to offend others? Did the Brexit Party MEPs care about others opinions, feelings on the matter? Did the Lib Dem’s? I didn’t instigate the childish gesture that the Brexit Party made and I didn’t make the comparison, I simply shared it. After the discussion had started on this thread. As I said the language and symbolism that the Brexit party has used is a weird mix of conflicting messages and some of it harks back to war time. Why use air raid sirens and black out lighting in your rally in 2019 for example? You can’t use those types of symbols and forms of protests and then moan when they are misinterpreted.

The Lib Dem’s T-shirt’s are stupid and childish as well. That campaign slogan is cringeworthy but reflects where we are as a nation currently. Neither side came out of yesterday’s proceedings with any credit. As for Labour you’re going to have to find one post of mine where I have supported anything that a Corbyn led Labour Party has done.

One things for sure it’s going to a lot of work to bring this country back together again.
Can you hear a cock crowing near you? You’re a bit like the apostle Peter. You still deny that you share the view the inference of those two photos suggests. If I read or saw something on (anti)-social media with which I disagreed, I would not repost it. Unless of coarse you aspire to the title of biggest WUM on here.
As for siting the B.B.C and L.B.C. as justification or affirmation that a subject is Overly of interest to the majority, you couldn’t find two bigger pro E.U. organisations.
I can’t quite understand your logic on the Second World War iconography. Forgive me if I’m wrong but didn’t Britain stand up to the Nazis during that war? Perhaps reflecting a time when Britain stood against an undemocratic and bullying regime is apt for them. If you, sorry, those that posted those photos have “misinterpreted” those “symbols” then it is you (sorry again) they that have it wrong. You can’t say evoking the war time spirit and a fight for freedom and democracy in anyway suggest a pro Fascist stand.

A few points...

If you do a childish crass stunt ahem sorry protest and it has similarities to fascists in the German Reichstag whose fault is that? Were they not aware of history? I imagine it was an unfortunate coincidence but given the combative and divisive nature of the party are you surprised that their critics will use it against them? Perhaps they would have been better not taking their seats, not taking a wage and making a proper statement of intent.  

My opinion of the Brexit Party particularly it’s leader is it / he is a nationalist populist. In exactly the same mould as Trump.

Do I think the party is facist? No, but I do think it has some members that are very right wing and not people I would get along with? Yes. However I wouldn’t get along with extreme left wing people either they are the flip side of the coin. Emotionally charged politics without any policies other than the obvious, driven by ideology isn’t my cup of tea.

The pictures I put up to generate debate. I knew some would go overboard but I like to listen to lots of arguments from all sides of the debate heck I’ve even listened to the Farage show on that left of centre (arf) station LBC. If you don’t listen to the opposition then you aren’t really arguing your points properly.

The Brexit Party referencing the war years is pathetic, it’s 2019, we aren’t at war, we need good relations with the E.U.

The BBC is accused of being right wing by the militant left and the reverse by the militant right. As for LBC the station has Nigel Farage, Nick Farrari. (Spelling) and Jacob Reece Mogg as presenters bastions of staying in the E.U. and left of centre ffs!

whilst we are talking of similarites to nazis i suppose i should point out that the nazi's used Ode to Joy as the celebration piece for Hitlers' birthday and it was also the anthem for Rhodesia's Ian Smith........ 
And as for not standing up, i do believe there were also SNP MEP's who also refused to stand in solidaritry with catalonian mp's currently facing trial
(07-04-2019, 02:46 PM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 12:42 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Ironic that leave supporter, having being asked to provide any reasoned argument for leaving and failing, should criticise anyone for not addressing the evidence.

Firstly, I have stated my reasons for voting as I did, on the previous incarnation of this bored.
Secondly, where have I shown any alignment or support for the Brexit Party? I simply refute or balance some of the biases on here but mostly, I take exception to being called all kinds of epithets, “numptie” being the most civil, simply for holding a different view.
I can not support any political party, or most politicians for that matter, if they did their job diligently and considered the people they are supposed to represent there would be no room or support for Farage and his party.

Your voting for Brexit kind of aligns you to the Brexit party (seeing as they only have 1 real policy) - but that might be an oversimplification.

I've avoided the name calling in general so I'm not certain why you would raise that with me, maybe that's the mantra to avoid the discussion. Forgive me if I think the actual politicians are fuckwits but they clearly are.

And snakeoil salesmen have been around for ever which means there will always be room and support for conmen like Farage. It's a shame that so many people are taken in by them and believe in idiotic statements like 'taking back control' and 'lets fund our NHS with the 330m we send to the EU each week'.

I watch on with disbelief that we, as a nation, are running down a path led by Boris, Farage and Rees-Mogg with no sense that there may be something wrong here. The EU aren't the enemy, they have just been painted as such by the conmen that have duped enough to get the mandate to promote their own self interests.
(07-04-2019, 02:46 PM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:

If you did state your reasons I don't think anyone can remember them. 
I haven't seen one well thought out argument for leaving posted on here or the previous board. Some woolly notion of sovereignty is the best of a bad bunch.
I'm completely biased on this subject as I think the whole idea of Brexit is stupid, self defeating, myopic, masochistic and will not make one iota of difference for those who blame the EU for the UK governments (plural) failings. Actually that's a lie it'll make many of their lives worse.
Name calling on this subject has been bandied about by both leave and remain, it is the most divisive subject the nation has faced for decades it was never going to be civil. Surprised how many ahem snowflakes their in the Brexit camp.
I don't think the EU is without fault but I don't like the idea of kicking myself in the bollocks to make my headache go away. 
Millions of people are politically homeless currently including myself, as I want this government gone asap but the alternative if its Labour under the current leader is just as bad. So that leaves the marginal parties so I guess I go Lib Dem but is that a wasted vote? 

If the Brexit Party gets in, it will be a truly terrible day for any moderate, rationale thinking person in this country. To use my well worn example Eastenders is popular but it's still shit.
Why don’t the 1% global climate self regulator scientist geniuses get as much media time as the 99% global warming scientist nutters, eH?
The break up of the U.K. is worth it for Brexit...

Really?

Has this country gone mad to follow such a person?
(07-06-2019, 10:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The break up of the U.K. is worth it for Brexit...

Really?

The UK has passed it sell-by date decades ago.
(07-06-2019, 11:06 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 10:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: The break up of the U.K. is worth it for Brexit...

Really?

The UK has passed it sell-by date decades ago.

It is pathetic, looking from the outside in. Fifty years ago you could argue that the twin victorious traumas of empire and WW2 had left England with an inflated idea of its self-worth and something of a victim of static conceptions. Two generations later it really is beyond belief that the English still hold on to their idea of superiority, by jingo. Widdiicombe's anti-German diatribe is a ludicrous case in point: twelve years of madness which ended seventy-four years ago.

Unless there's more of a plan. Keep Europe weak and divided so that perfidious Albion can return to the nineteenth century glory updated, hunt foxes, have a low regulation and minimal welfare (workhouse) economy where the haves can continue to insist their luck is brought on by hard work and the have nots can be enmired in blame for their lack of industry. England's dystopian future is the inverted image of the Brexit dream. Shorn of Wales, Northern ireland, and Scotland, all that will remain will be an overcrowded, polarised, and increasingly fractious rump.