Who are the Final Four?
(05-18-2019, 12:35 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 12:11 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: My concern about Chris Hughton is that managers have their time, then it passes. For instance, we got Pardew when his best spell was far, far behind him. Even Mourinho has fallen off his pedestal in his last two jobs.

What if 60 year old Hughton is getting as pissed off with work as most other 60 year olds. His recent record with Brighton stinks - exactly as Pulis had managed a woeful run of results prior to leaving us (which many pundits and one or two fans seemed to gloss over). Hughton is Pulis/Allardyce/Warnock territory IMO. Too short term, men of the past. We must do better, even if it seems risky.

I don't think he is Pulis/Allardyce territory. Not done that much of a merry go round of premiership clubs. And only Norwich were a premiership club when he became manager.

And as for too old, Warnock is now in his 70s and got Cardiff promoted when he was 69. Hughton was relatively old when he first became a manager, I doubt his fire has gone out.

It's straight back into the fire though. I wonder if it's too soon for him to have a new challenge.
A list of 4 and a lack of urgency worry me.

Unless the managers/coaches on the list are of a similar ilk then I would argue that the club still lack a plan, a culture or an identity. The DoF should have a plan of what he wants alongside the type of scouting that’s being undertaken. The choice of manager should be one that fits the club, not just a random “old and experienced”, “up and coming” and “Johnny foreigner” round of interviews.

Will the new man be someone that wants experienced brutish based players, will it be someone to promote youth or someone who knows the foreign markets?

DA had a plan of who would fit the remit of what the club wanted, we don’t appear to have this. The club appear to be doing it arse about face. Find the identity of the club and then pick the man to carry that out, we’ve lurched aots for a while now. Fuck knows what remit our scouting dept. have. I bet it didn’t include Kyle Bartley and passing out from the back though.
(05-18-2019, 12:39 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: A list of 4 and a lack of urgency worry me.

Unless the managers/coaches on the list are of a similar ilk then I would argue that the club still lack a plan, a culture or an identity. The DoF should have a plan of what he wants alongside the type of scouting that’s being undertaken. The choice of manager should be one that fits the club, not just a random “old and experienced”, “up and coming” and “Johnny foreigner” round of interviews.

Will the new man be someone that wants experienced brutish based players, will it be someone to promote youth or someone who knows the foreign markets?

DA had a plan of who would fit the remit of what the club wanted, we don’t appear to have this. The club appear to be doing it arse about face. Find the identity of the club and then pick the man to carry that out, we’ve lurched aots for a while now. Fuck knows what remit our scouting dept. have. I bet it didn’t include Kyle Bartley and passing out from the back though.

Last summer involved Terrano, Big Dave's mobile and no DoF though.

In fairness to the club, now is a time when lots of managers aka humans with lives and families go on holiday, so bearing that in mind it makes sense they can't have them all lined up on Monday morning.
(05-18-2019, 12:39 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: A list of 4 and a lack of urgency worry me.

Unless the managers/coaches on the list are of a similar ilk then I would argue that the club still lack a plan, a culture or an identity.  The DoF should have a plan of what he wants alongside the type of scouting that’s being undertaken.  The choice of manager should be one that fits the club, not just a random  “old and experienced”, “up and coming” and “Johnny foreigner” round of interviews.

DA had a plan of who would fit the remit of what the club wanted, we don’t appear to have this.  The club appear to be doing it arse about face.  Find the identity of the club and then pick the man to carry that out, we’ve lurched aots for a while now.  Fuck knows what remit our scouting dept. have.  I bet it didn’t include Kyle Bartley and passing out from the back though.

Our identity was pretty but weak football under DA that experiment ended when RDM got the sack and Roy came and saved us from another potential relegation. DA did a lot well but when it came to the crunch the best thing he did was bring in the best manager we’ve had for years and have never properly replaced.
At 10/11 with Sky Bet, Cowley has to be the bookies biggest favourite to take over as our manager in a long while doesn’t he?
Alex Neil had shorter odds and look where he is .
(05-18-2019, 01:06 PM)11amstart Wrote: At 10/11 with Sky Bet, Cowley has to be the bookies biggest favourite to take over as our manager in a long while doesn’t he?

We've had at least five odds on favourites since Darren Moore got the sack. Bookies have no idea they just react to the latest name linked.

On the final four I'd guess on Danny Cowley, Chris Hughton, Lee Bowyer and A.N.Other.
(05-18-2019, 01:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 12:39 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: A list of 4 and a lack of urgency worry me.

Unless the managers/coaches on the list are of a similar ilk then I would argue that the club still lack a plan, a culture or an identity.  The DoF should have a plan of what he wants alongside the type of scouting that’s being undertaken.  The choice of manager should be one that fits the club, not just a random  “old and experienced”, “up and coming” and “Johnny foreigner” round of interviews.

DA had a plan of who would fit the remit of what the club wanted, we don’t appear to have this.  The club appear to be doing it arse about face.  Find the identity of the club and then pick the man to carry that out, we’ve lurched aots for a while now.  Fuck knows what remit our scouting dept. have.  I bet it didn’t include Kyle Bartley and passing out from the back though.

Our identity was pretty but weak football under DA that experiment ended when RDM got the sack and Roy came and saved us from another potential relegation. DA did a lot well but when it came to the crunch the best thing he did was bring in the best manager we’ve had for years and have never properly replaced.

I thought that may entice you out.  What experiment?

I happen to think that Roy becoming available was one of the reasons we acted so quickly in ending RDMs reign.  That sounds decisive and like a plan to me.

We had a scouting network that worked together and actually found those mythical (to some) players from the  continent on the cheap.  We also put in place the academy and youth program that we’re now starting to see the fruits of. 

I suppose it’s all a coincidence that happened under DA, in the same way as St. George’s Park and the England youth set-up under DA too.  

Be interesting to see what happens at Brighton over the next couple of years. 

We could always of course just sign players we think may do a job and then a manager and coaches that may or may not play to their strengths.
Expect another sneak announcement of a shock head coach to cause meltdowns very soon
(05-18-2019, 01:29 PM)LIMABAGGIE Wrote: Expect another sneak announcement of a shock head coach to cause meltdowns very soon

As long as it isn't anyone called Alan. The last two weren't very good.