Best ever crop of youngsters at the club?
(02-11-2019, 02:05 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 12:22 PM)Hermit Throstle Wrote: I was on Albions books back in 1987. Out of our bunch only Dave Pritchard made it. Had a few appearances before ending up at Bristol Rovers. Scott Colcombe and Les Palmer were there too. I was gutted when told I wasn't going to make it. Great experience though rubbing shoulders with the likes of Nobby Styles.

I heard from one of the players you mentioned that Talbot was quite specific about the type of players he wanted bringing through at that time.
The first team were also playing 3-5-2 and CM`s who had represented the town and reps were deemed to be lacking in height and physicality and were then subsequently converted into wingbacks.

A fate suffered by Bowen, who was from the intake below yourself.

Remember Bowen. He was the year below us. What you said about height probably rings true. I was 5 ft 8, quick and could put a shift in. My mistake was I never applied to any other clubs and drifted away to Sunday league football. 
I was good pals with Dave Pritchard as we were  school pals at Codsall. He ended his career early at Bristol Rovers with dodgy knees. Bumped into him a couple of years ago selling properties in Brewood.
(02-11-2019, 02:35 PM)Hermit Throstle Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 12:22 PM)Hermit Throstle Wrote: I was on Albions books back in 1987. Out of our bunch only Dave Pritchard made it. Had a few appearances before ending up at Bristol Rovers. Scott Colcombe and Les Palmer were there too. I was gutted when told I wasn't going to make it. Great experience though rubbing shoulders with the likes of Nobby Styles.

I heard from one of the players you mentioned that Talbot was quite specific about the type of players he wanted bringing through at that time.
The first team were also playing 3-5-2 and CM`s who had represented the town and reps were deemed to be lacking in height and physicality and were then subsequently converted into wingbacks.

Remember Bowen. He was the year below us. What you said about height probably rings true. I was 5 ft 8, quick and could put a shift in. My mistake was I never applied to any other clubs and drifted away to Sunday league football. 
I was good pals with Dave Pritchard as we were  school pals at Codsall. He ended his career early at Bristol Rovers with dodgy knees. Bumped into him a couple of years ago selling properties in Brewood.

Did Pritchard end up with Turners daughter?
(02-11-2019, 01:57 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 12:38 PM)Peachy Wrote:

You got closer than most. I had a couple of trials for Albion at 14 under the eyes of Norman Bodell I think his name was. Nothing came of it. 

Also had trials for Oxford, Brentford, Plymouth and Saints. I played really well and scored a couple in the Saints game (missed a peno too) but nothing from them although Bournemouth scouts were there too and picked me up as I lived there. Played about 15 games for them before being cast aside at the end of the season.

It's funny looking back. I was a proper skilful forward who scored 60+ goals 4 or 5 seasons on the bounce for my club side and lots for school and county etc but it's only when you turn up to trials you realise your own ability.

The step up was enormous.

I wasn't nervous at any trials other than The Albion. It meant so much and as a consequence I was shite trying too hard.  Big Grin
Good to hear the take of those who went further than the rest of us. Like many here, the school team was the height of my success. However, kids now have so much more football thanks to Sunday teams. It helps the game. 
Lad in my year was a beast of a player, but turned down a YTS for Cov as only wanted Villa or Albion. Never got anywhere after that, semi-pro in Norway I think.
Thousands of exceptional kids out there and 99% of them will fail. Luck a factor too, in that you can be picked up coached properly and put in with a crop who will bring you up.
So much of footie is attitude and luck. It continues in the pro game too. Look at Kane v Berahino, who were on a par a few years ago.

This is true.

I remember playing a county game at 15 and I was up against a centre half who was about 6'3. A decent player but all height and niggle. On the ground he was shite. 

As much as he tried to get me I kept dropping deep and gave him the runaround and scored a hat trick. A few weeks later he signed YTS for Norwich! 

The next time I came up against him 18 months later he was absolute mustard. I didn't get a kick.  Big Grin
(02-11-2019, 01:57 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

You got closer than most. I had a couple of trials for Albion at 14 under the eyes of Norman Bodell I think his name was. Nothing came of it. 

Also had trials for Oxford, Brentford, Plymouth and Saints. I played really well and scored a couple in the Saints game (missed a peno too) but nothing from them although Bournemouth scouts were there too and picked me up as I lived there. Played about 15 games for them before being cast aside at the end of the season.

It's funny looking back. I was a proper skilful forward who scored 60+ goals 4 or 5 seasons on the bounce for my club side and lots for school and county etc but it's only when you turn up to trials you realise your own ability.

I wasn't nervous at any trials other than The Albion. It meant so much and as a consequence I was shite trying too hard.  Big Grin
Good to hear the take of those who went further than the rest of us. Like many here, the school team was the height of my success. However, kids now have so much more football thanks to Sunday teams. It helps the game
Lad in my year was a beast of a player, but turned down a YTS for Cov as only wanted Villa or Albion. Never got anywhere after that, semi-pro in Norway I think.
Thousands of exceptional kids out there and 99% of them will fail. Luck a factor too, in that you can be picked up coached properly and put in with a crop who will bring you up.
So much of footie is attitude and luck. It continues in the pro game too. Look at Kane v Berahino, who were on a par a few years ago.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Sure there are loads more kids playing on a weekend for clubs and then training one night a week but then they don't meet up every night to play at the local rec. It wasn't as organized but for muscle memory and basic skills time on the ball generally win out.

What level did you play at Bournemouth pal?
(02-11-2019, 05:03 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:

What level did you play at Bournemouth pal?

I played for their youth team for half a season! I remember my first game for them was against Saints at home and I was sub.

They bought me on with 10 minutes to go.........The score when I came on..........7 nil down!   Big Grin

That sort of summed up my time their tbh. I scored a couple of goals away against Brighton (in Eastbourne iirc) but we still lost. All in all I reckon I played less that 180 minutes for them!!
If Harper can add goals to his game iam convinced he`ll play for Utd one day as he`s got a decent turn of pace,very strong,and can use both feet.
Just hope his agent lets him progress at the Albion for a few years so he can become an even better player and not someone who is just in it for the mega bucks.
(02-12-2019, 02:30 PM)BombersFlask Wrote: If Harper can add goals to his game iam convinced he`ll play for Utd one day as he`s got a decent turn of pace,very strong,and can use both feet.
Just hope his agent lets him progress at the Albion for a few years so he can become an even better player and not someone who is just in it for the mega bucks.

Scunthorpe?
(02-11-2019, 03:50 PM)coxy134 Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 02:35 PM)Hermit Throstle Wrote:

Did Pritchard end up with Turners daughter?
No mate. That relationship fizzled out not long after. Got together with a Codsall girl and moved to Spain for a while after his career ended.