Ajax
(04-30-2019, 08:26 PM)4-hero Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 08:22 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 07:30 PM)Duffers Wrote: Ajax have played some fantastic stuff all season. Really hope they go all the way.

The real shame is the depressing inevitably that this team will be picked apart over the summer.

V true - that’s exactly what happened to that magnificent 1995 team a generation ago

Think Barca have already signed Frenkie de Jong - 75m Euros

Same was said after they lost the Europa League final against Man Utd a couple of seasons ago? 

Any survivors from that night?
 6 of the starting 11 still there tbf

FDJ and Van Beek both on the bench that night
(04-30-2019, 08:34 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 08:26 PM)4-hero Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 07:30 PM)Duffers Wrote: Ajax have played some fantastic stuff all season. Really hope they go all the way.

The real shame is the depressing inevitably that this team will be picked apart over the summer.

V true - that’s exactly what happened to that magnificent 1995 team a generation ago

Same was said after they lost the Europa League final against Man Utd a couple of seasons ago? 

Any survivors from that night?
 6 of the starting 11 still there tbf

FDJ and Van Beek both on the bench that night

Cheers
(04-30-2019, 08:31 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: They look the real deal. No Flash in the pan!

They're a decent team but beating tonight's Spurs team doesn't take much.
Without Son and Kane, Spurs are very ordinary. Eriksen is obviously a very good, but not great player and what Dele Alli contributes to Spurs or England is lost on me.
What’s happened to Alli this season ? Not really hit the heights of previous seasons.
(04-30-2019, 09:07 PM)74bus Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 08:31 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: They look the real deal. No Flash in the pan!

Without Son and Kane, Spurs are very ordinary. Eriksen is obviously a very good, but not great player and what Dele Alli contributes to Spurs or England is lost on me.

Spurs just look knackered now. This is what happens when you don’t sign anyone for a few years.
(04-30-2019, 09:16 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote: What’s happened to Alli this season ? Not really hit the heights of previous seasons.

From what I've seen he's had more attention from opponents and kept out of the game more. It's like teams have done their homework. He hasn't suddenly gone shite, just less involved

(04-30-2019, 09:18 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 09:07 PM)74bus Wrote:

Spurs just look knackered now. This is what happens when you don’t sign anyone for a few years.

And have a good youth development structure
(04-30-2019, 08:12 PM)Albionmad Wrote: Why would anybody who loves football want City to wipe the floor with Ajax?
Originally football teams were composed of local players who would play against their counterparts in other towns or Cities. 
This was the beautiful game. Man City are the Harlem Globetrotters of football. They've spent over a billion quid on assembling the best team in England. I find that repulsive. 
I find satisfaction in the fact that Spurs knocked them out of the CL with a team where several players are from their academy. Ajax are a stage better than Spurs. I wish these two were in the final.

Woosh. Ajax is a cleaning agent that might be used to wipe a floor.
(04-30-2019, 08:28 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I wonder how the other teams that make up the numbers in the Dutch top division feel about Ajax? Are they some heroic club battling against the odds or are they hoovering up the talent from across the Netherlands?

I would imagine PSV Eindhoven would raise an eyebrow in surprise at your comment. Given they are only second to Ajax on goal difference.

But you miss the point, the lack of financial resources available within the Dutch League makes it very difficult for them to compete against teams from Spain, England, Germany and Italy in European competitions, that they are is a wonderful achievement.
(04-30-2019, 09:16 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote: What’s happened to Alli this season ? Not really hit the heights of previous seasons.

He hasn't got Claudio to hit either.
(04-30-2019, 08:27 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Exactly the same happened to Monaco a couple of years ago.

Like the Albion team in '92