4-4-2
(04-27-2019, 07:19 PM)Atomic Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 07:12 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: It just ain't the fashion any more. 442 does for me, all season we've been wanting in midfield and it sorts that out.

It doesn't. Our two in the middle get over-run whenever we play two in there we don't have enough mobility in our central midfield to play 4-4-2.

Agree. The only real solution, of course, is a five-man with three in the middle. Come to the playoffs I hope it doesn`t get exposed.
(04-27-2019, 08:04 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 07:19 PM)Atomic Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 07:12 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: It just ain't the fashion any more. 442 does for me, all season we've been wanting in midfield and it sorts that out.

It doesn't. Our two in the middle get over-run whenever we play two in there we don't have enough mobility in our central midfield to play 4-4-2.

Agree. The only real solution, of course, is a five-man with three in the middle. Come to the playoffs I hope it doesn`t get exposed.

There are 4 in the middle in 442, not 2.
I don't have too much of a problem with the 5 in the middle but to use that system you use 3 CBs and TBH, that isn't often necessary.
When we don't have the ball and defending we could play
5 - 3 - 1 - 1
When we have the ball and are attacking we could play - (wing backs move up)
3 - 5 - 2
I don't think our current squad are disciplined enough to change between attack/defence

As an aside -
Fergy won an awful lot of games with a strict rigid 4 - 4 - 2
When defending it was always two banks of 4 every time.
Nothing wrong with 4 - 4 - 2 if the players are disciplined enough to play it.
(04-27-2019, 08:39 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: When we don't have the ball and defending we could play
5 - 3 - 1 - 1
3 - 5 - 2
I don't think our current squad are disciplined enough to change between attack/defence

As an aside -

This. Plus when the wider midfielder goes up the wing, the one the other side comes over to support the middle. Sly ole Woy is a master at it. The key word is discipline.
(04-27-2019, 08:39 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: When we don't have the ball and defending we could play
5 - 3 - 1 - 1
3 - 5 - 2

As an aside -

Problem is the players are still running the show by the sounds of it Big Grin
5 - 3 - 1 - 1
3 - 5 - 2

As an aside -

We can defend as a unit then attack on the counter we look far more threatening when we attack with pace instinctively rather than the usual laboured pass sideways back and repeat bollocks.
I think the reason we persist with Harper is our midfield is so one paced

I see Villa, Derby having massive success against our pedestrian midfield, worries me to death

Wouldn’t swap our back line or forwards....bar keeper, with any team

Cuzer