The Team Of The Century
Jesus. What a prat.

(BFR, not Jesus)
I’ve just spat my champagne out.
(05-01-2024, 11:53 AM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: I’ve just spat my champagne out.

Mumm?

Don`t think Ron ever did. My late father - in - law did some work for a car dealership, once was told to bring in a Jaguar for a service. It was Rons, the boot was full of empty champagne bottles.
(05-01-2024, 11:57 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:

Mumm?

corking
(05-01-2024, 10:54 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Yes, I'd heard that about Big Ron and the cup in 78. I also recall Cloughie having a go at him saying he needs to play down the champagne lifestyle etc and save that for if we win something.
Incidentally Big Ron is 85 now. Hard to believe.

That team would have won something with a decent manager.
(05-01-2024, 10:23 PM)man in the corner shop Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 10:54 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Yes, I'd heard that about Big Ron and the cup in 78. I also recall Cloughie having a go at him saying he needs to play down the champagne lifestyle etc and save that for if we win something.

Not having that bullshit. BFR always got the best out of his players. He wasn't great in the transfer market, but he was hampered by our woefully low wages and the lack of ambition of "The Lavender Hill Mob" as he termed the board at the time.

He wasn't a great manager, but he was more than decent. I'm guessing you maybe weren't around at the time?
(05-02-2024, 05:03 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

Not having that bullshit. BFR always got the best out of his players. He wasn't great in the transfer market, but he was hampered by our woefully low wages and the lack of ambition of "The Lavender Hill Mob" as he termed the board at the time.

He wasn't a great manager, but he was more than decent. I'm guessing you maybe weren't around at the time?

BFR was a more than decent manager. The bad winter and fixture congestion did for us in the title challenging season.
Ipswich had some great players but we really didn’t turn up for the semi final after beating Forest.
I was a very upset 9 year old that day.
(05-02-2024, 08:03 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:

BFR was a more than decent manager. The bad winter and fixture congestion did for us in the title challenging season.
Ipswich had some great players but we really didn’t turn up for the semi final after beating Forest.

The winter did indeed fuc* us up. About two months without playing and then IIRC first game back was Liverpool away. I went with girlfriend at the time only to see us beat 2-1 - a game we could have won - and we were never as good again. Pipped for second after losing to Clough’s Forest at the season’s end.
(05-03-2024, 06:43 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 08:03 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:

The winter did indeed fuc* us up. About two months without playing and then IIRC first game back was Liverpool away. I went with girlfriend at the time only to see us beat 2-1 - a game we could have won - and we were never as good again. Pipped for second after losing to Clough’s Forest at the season’s end.

I'm not sure we could have won that game, Spandau, they beat us fairly. Although at that moment I was more concerned with the hordes of scouse rats trying to punch me! God knows how you got on taking a girl to that game, the Anfield Rd end was carnage for much of the 90. Agree, we weren't quite the same team after.