Jeremy Peace behind the runaway horses in London
(04-26-2024, 01:28 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:15 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:06 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 12:59 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 07:54 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: The share cancellation did happen. He also performed a share consolidation so anyone with less than 5 had to buy more shares, or their shares were cancelled and bought off them. It happened to me.

Ditto
How much in monetary terms had the shares been worth just as a matter of interest?

The truth is I can't honestly remember I paid for a 10 year season ticket and they gave you a share if my memory serves me right but it wasn't the money was the issue .....we wanted it to stay in the family I think it was around £1500.

It's a weird one regarding Peace and I get it why shareholders feel frustrated, but painting him out like the anti Christ doesn't sit right with me either.

I remember in the early years reading about how he'd painstakingly researched into clubs of a similar fan base in Europe and he did a blueprint of exactly how the club should be run.

He ran us professionally and put so much right infrastructure wise, with training facilities etc and changed us completely as a club. He got Dan Ashworth in, built a great academy and gave us some great memories of promotions, wins at all the big clubs etc.

To have built a legacy I think improving the Halfords Lane, up to a 30,000 capacity, and maybe a League Cup would have him as an all time great in the eyes of most.

I feel those great years on the pitch gets overlooked and whilst he did very well out of us I don't begrudge him that. He did stick around to teach Lai etc how the club should be run, but they learnt nothing.

Without him we may have thrived and found someone else who would have done the same or we may have continued to be a committee of relatively small time businessmen and be a club like Preston or Blackpool now.

No one knows.

Agree no one knows but taking your points one at a time.
He ran us professionally? Well maybe, but that's a minimum requirement from a director taking that high a salary. The training facilities were put in place by Thompson BTW.
The Halfords. He pulled the plug on expansion as soon as he realised it would eat hugely into the profit from his exit strategy. This is good reason to criticise IMO.
Were they great years? I'm not crying out for a Peter Ridsdale but a LITTLE more ambition and we may have been rewarded with something. A cup. A Euro trip, a better stadium ( or no AFI or Pulis even).
We may have been run by another committee? No, those days were gone. Again PT wouldn't have allowed it. I'd suggest we had a very good chance of being at exactly the position our history says we average. In the latter years of Peace we were overtaken by many traditionally smaller clubs than us, all of whom used different methods of gaining an advantage. Something JP had given up on doing in order to maximise his profit on departure.
(04-26-2024, 01:27 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: It's more that he used the clubs money to position himself into the 89 or so % than what he paid or didn't pay and how he was making shareholders, people that put money in when Tony Hale was chairman and we were crying out for the money (I was one too).  It was buy more or sell them to me - fair enough.  But it wasn't sell them to me, it was the club will buy them with the clubs money and I now own a bigger %.

Peace was good when his and clubs needs aligned.  He appointed well with Ashworth and Garlick but he was also the beneficiary of "Right place, right time" when stepping in to replace Thompson.  He took over a PL club and when he left we were a PL club, hardly a revolution, we'd just been programmed to not have the expectation of being a top flight club.  He helped perpetuate that too.

This is how I see it as well.

A small point on the share cancellation/buyback. This increased Peace's percentage shareholding as well. Taking a hypothetical example, If the club had 100 shares, and JRP had 60, then he would have 60% of the shareholding. If the club "bought back" and cancelled 20 shares (using club money to do so, not JRP's cash), then JRP would have 60 shares out of 80, or 75% of the shareholding. It  is my recollection that this scenario is exactly what happened. 

I don't recall S4A bleating too much, because many of them had more than the 5 minimum shares,  so the value of these shares increased. They only started shouting when they realised that Lai had no obligation (or indeed interest) in buying their shares at the rate he paid for Peace's.
(04-26-2024, 02:18 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:28 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:15 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:06 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 12:59 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: Ditto
How much in monetary terms had the shares been worth just as a matter of interest?

The truth is I can't honestly remember I paid for a 10 year season ticket and they gave you a share if my memory serves me right but it wasn't the money was the issue .....we wanted it to stay in the family I think it was around £1500.

It's a weird one regarding Peace and I get it why shareholders feel frustrated, but painting him out like the anti Christ doesn't sit right with me either.

I remember in the early years reading about how he'd painstakingly researched into clubs of a similar fan base in Europe and he did a blueprint of exactly how the club should be run.

He ran us professionally and put so much right infrastructure wise, with training facilities etc and changed us completely as a club. He got Dan Ashworth in, built a great academy and gave us some great memories of promotions, wins at all the big clubs etc.

To have built a legacy I think improving the Halfords Lane, up to a 30,000 capacity, and maybe a League Cup would have him as an all time great in the eyes of most.

I feel those great years on the pitch gets overlooked and whilst he did very well out of us I don't begrudge him that. He did stick around to teach Lai etc how the club should be run, but they learnt nothing.

Without him we may have thrived and found someone else who would have done the same or we may have continued to be a committee of relatively small time businessmen and be a club like Preston or Blackpool now.

No one knows.

Agree no one knows but taking your points one at a time.
He ran us professionally? Well maybe, but that's a minimum requirement from a director taking that high a salary. The training facilities were put in place by Thompson BTW.
The Halfords. He pulled the plug on expansion as soon as he realised it would eat hugely into the profit from his exit strategy. This is good reason to criticise IMO.
Where they great years? I'm not crying out for a Peter Ridsdale but a LITTLE more ambition and we may have been rewarded with something. A cup. A Euro trip, a better stadium ( or no AFI or Pulis even).
We may have been run by another committee? No, those days were gone. Again PT wouldn't have allowed it. I'd suggest we had a very good chance of being at exactly the position our history says we average. In the latter years of Peace we were overtaken by many traditionally smaller clubs than us, all of whom used different methods of gaining an advantage. Something JP had given up on doing in order to maximise his profit on departure.

Good points Tom.

I do recall feeling very frustrated in the year of the Great surrender 2006 when we did nothing to save our skins on transfer deadline day.

Currently now there are 5-6 clubs that no one  with even the slightest knowledge could argue are bigger than us in the Prem with the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford thriving. How did that come to be?

It's very frustrating how we got to a strong position around 2012 and then just went backwards.

I hope come the end of the season Patel shows us what he's about and it gives us hope.

The debates about Peace's legacy are generally good ones when intelligent facts and well constructed arguments are presented. He's certainly a big character of the last generation.
(04-26-2024, 02:58 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 01:27 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: It's more that he used the clubs money to position himself into the 89 or so % than what he paid or didn't pay and how he was making shareholders, people that put money in when Tony Hale was chairman and we were crying out for the money (I was one too).  It was buy more or sell them to me - fair enough.  But it wasn't sell them to me, it was the club will buy them with the clubs money and I now own a bigger %.

Peace was good when his and clubs needs aligned.  He appointed well with Ashworth and Garlick but he was also the beneficiary of "Right place, right time" when stepping in to replace Thompson.  He took over a PL club and when he left we were a PL club, hardly a revolution, we'd just been programmed to not have the expectation of being a top flight club.  He helped perpetuate that too.

A small point on the share cancellation/buyback. This increased Peace's percentage shareholding as well. Taking a hypothetical example, If the club had 100 shares, and JRP had 60, then he would have 60% of the shareholding. If the club "bought back" and cancelled 20 shares (using club money to do so, not JRP's cash), then JRP would have 60 shares out of 80, or 75% of the shareholding. It  is my recollection that this scenario is exactly what happened. 

I don't recall S4A bleating too much, because many of them had more than the 5 minimum shares,  so the value of these shares increased. They only started shouting when they realised that Lai had no obligation (or indeed interest) in buying their shares at the rate he paid for Peace's.

Your memory is not reliable. They 'bleated' big style about the share consolidation- taking it to the High Court at huge expense in a vain attempt to prevent it.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic...dy-3953130
Why he took out the £3.5m “loan” from the club with NO repayment date, is the question to be asked
I told you I’ll be back
Put all the right structure and processes in place to create sucess and increase the value of the club. But as soon as the value was threatened he jettisoned those values and triggered the decline.

Smart succesfull businessman or just a bit of a cunt. Well, the two do tend to go hand in hand.

And was he brilliant or did he just get lucky. Again....
(04-26-2024, 03:54 PM)throstle Wrote:
(04-26-2024, 02:58 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Your memory is not reliable. They 'bleated' big style about the share consolidation- taking it to the High Court at huge expense in a vain attempt to prevent it.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic...dy-3953130

Didn't turn out too well though, did it? I remember those MCW's turning their noses up at those of us with Tony  Hale shares. At least we put some money in the club which most of them never did