Libraries
(04-19-2024, 09:04 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 08:50 PM)Ossian Wrote: 1996: there was an excellent documentary about the conception and making of Everything must go (Sky Arts, from memory).

That particular couplet was one that Richey Edwards had left behind in some musings.

Excellent

Pretty sure it was Nicky Wire who came up with that. His wife is/was a librarian and Libraries Gave Us Power was the slogan above where she used to work.

Back to the OP, if you live, work or study in Birmingham, please complete the consultation form here to try to save the libraries:

https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk/adu...ties/lc24/
I haven't used a library in ages but my wife was a librarian until about 12 months ago so I'm aware of what they offer. They've had to evolve or else risk becoming redundant. They are so much more than lending books now (though as well as doing this they also offer digital books through them for free). You can get free magazine subscriptions too. Lots of local groups are hosted, they're a real community hub. I might not use them, but if they did close, a lot of people would miss them.
Highbury was my first away match.
(04-20-2024, 02:48 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I haven't used a library in ages but my wife was a librarian until about 12 months ago so I'm aware of what they offer. They've had to evolve or else risk becoming redundant. They are so much more than lending books now (though as well as doing this they also offer digital books through them for free). You can get free magazine subscriptions too. Lots of local groups are hosted, they're a real community hub. I might not use them, but if they did close, a lot of people would miss them.

This. My grandkids attend some kind of group at our library, and love it. Anyone that thinks closing libraries is progress really needs to ask themselves what sort of world  they would like. Stuart Maconie'sexcellent  book The Nanny State Made Me has a chapter on Thimblemill library and the huge range of events held there. Bands, theatre, book clubs, the lot, and all due to the head librarian who ought to be 1st in line for an MBE but won't be.