Smoking Ban
Rishi Sunak has gone up in my estimation (it was a low base). Forcing through the eventual total ban on the sale of cigarettes is a far better legacy to have left than any of the previous 4 Prime Ministers.
I really don't see the point in it, young people don't smoke. Usage has been falling generally with Pigouvian taxes on tobacco rising and young people use vapes and pouches over cigarettes anyway (when was the last time you saw a teenager smoking?). I also don't see why a grown adult shouldn't be allowed to smoke if they so choose given nicotine is still legal.

The vaping reforms are better to discourage the environmental issue but I would have preferred deposits being applied to disposable vapes personally instead of banning them.
20 years from now there's going to be a generation of 30 year olds needing fake IDs to buy fags.
And your bank on speed-dial to arrange financing. I was outside a boozer the other day chatting to my mate whilst he was having a fag when tgis lad came up and asked if he could pinch one for him and his mate. Now many of us have been in that position where you fancy a cig but don’t want to buy a pack but given the prices now it’s not a 20p favour like it used to be. My mate is quite a generous fella so was a little taken aback when I pointed out to the lad the Tesco Express opposite and to go and buy his own.
(04-17-2024, 07:45 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Rishi Sunak has gone up in my estimation (it was a low base). Forcing through the eventual total ban on the sale of cigarettes is a far better legacy to have left than any of the previous 4 Prime Ministers.

Not very libertarian of you.

Do I agree with a ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces, yes I do, I agree with the sale if cigarettes being heavily taxed.

But a total ban, no. 

It's an infringement on personal freedom.

I'm not a smoker, so it doesn't affect me, I don't drink that much these days, so I could deal with the forthcoming ban on alcohol.It will come. But I don't think it's right.
Absolute absurd piece of legislation

Totally unforceable & shows how far out of reality those down there are

When water companies are poisoning rivers whilst raising costs
Knife crime with kids dying on almost daily basis

The list is endless of more important priority & pressing issues

Dont get me wrong I would never encourage anyone to smoke
Users are fully aware of dangers
The inside smoking ban was a great idea & less people than ever smoking

Vote at 18 joined the AF get married but banned from buying cigs legally

It wont stop people buying them at all more likely to encourage them to see what its all about

Speak to mental health social workers & a
Ask them their opinion on increase in mental health illness
I bet every one will say down to huge increase in cannabis & coke use

Police say 50% of those done for driving offences are tested positive for them

Next week will be a gov't bill on UFO's parking on supermarket car parks

I remember a headline on The Sun many years ago
It said 'If Labour are elected, would the last person turn out the lights'

Christ nothing changes with all of them
I'd rather not ban smoking, can't we just legalise more drugs instead?
The Sun, always a true test of morality, intelligence and unbiased opinion.

I think smoking is an expensive and rather stupid pastime that should only be inflicted on those themselves who smoke and no one else. I’m not sure this ban is really enforceable but I’m not going to moan about it either. I’d rather my kids never smoke if possible.

That said why restrict and make tobacco so expensive, whilst allowing junk food to be sold so cheaply and help cause obesity? Why cut the time kids have to exercise at school either in lessons or breaks and lunchtime?

If this is about the health of the nation and cutting down costs to the NHS then why just cigarettes?
(04-17-2024, 09:44 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 07:45 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Rishi Sunak has gone up in my estimation (it was a low base). Forcing through the eventual total ban on the sale of cigarettes is a far better legacy to have left than any of the previous 4 Prime Ministers.

Not very libertarian of you.

Do I agree with a ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces, yes I do, I agree with the sale if cigarettes being heavily taxed.

But a total ban, no. 

It's an infringement on personal freedom.

I'm not a smoker, so it doesn't affect me, I don't drink that much these days, so I could deal with the forthcoming ban on alcohol.It will come. But I don't think it's right.

Not often you find yourself in the same camp as Truss and Johnson.
Personally, I think the shit they put in food is a bigger issue than smoking and the reason why so many people are dying of cancer.
Ultra processed foods are destroying lives and really can't see why smoking has been rounded on so much when it's becoming rarer and rarer.
I always thought it was a stupid habit, even 40 years ago.
Stains your fingers, teeth, can kill you, smells awful and costs a fortune. That was known when I was a teenager in the 80s.