Ho
As in Westward Ho! or Tally-Ho. Never knew the meaning of the word until this evening but seems that it means "no more", which makes more sense of the place name, geographically, or the cry to stop fuggin about and get after some foxes. 

If that doesn't distract you from thinking about who you want to face in the play-offs, nothing will.
Thundercats!
filthy skanky cheap ho - I'm sure there's an expert on them on here somewhere...
What is unusual about Westward Ho!. Couple of things.
(04-02-2024, 09:03 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: What is unusual about Westward Ho!. Couple of things.

Only place name with an exclamation mark in its name. Wasn't there some kind of literary link to it?
Appledore is one on my favourite places... Enjoy, pal.
(04-02-2024, 09:06 PM)Fido Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 09:03 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: What is unusual about Westward Ho!. Couple of things.

Only place name with an exclamation mark in its name. Wasn't there some kind of literary link to it?

You are right about the exclamation mark.

Also the only place I know of taking  its name from the title of a novel.
It was the cry of the Thames Watermen in the 16th & 17th Centuries. The time there was one bridge to cross the Thames. If they went towards Westminster , they would shout WestWard Ho! And Eastward Ho! If going east.

Westward Ho was a play by Thomas Dekker & John Webster and Ben Jonson wrote Eastward Ho. Contemporary to Shakespeare.

Charles Kingsley wrote the novel Westward Ho in 1855. Not linked to the plays.