anyone ITK on Mowatt and Kipre situ?
(03-22-2024, 02:17 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: This is where someone usually says how stupid Bruce was for loaning them out last season. But he had to reduce the wage bill, and he could only loan out players that other clubs wanted. He couldn’t very well loan Swift, Wallace, Yokuslu, BTA, Pieters or Molumby having just signed them. Diangana was felt to be the one who should be kept at all costs. Dike was injured or just returning. It didn’t leave many alternatives to Kipre and Mowatt, particularly as we had cover at centre back

Here I am! And he fuckin' was. He also kept Button on when he was the worst keeper in the postcode. He actually had EVERY alternative rather than than loaning out the most consistent players in our team. The utter treacle sponge pudding.
Bruce and pardew on par with Rose and Fred west in killing the club stakes .
Tony pulis is a wanker 
As inept as he was as a coach tactically, he did sign the players I listed for a combined fee of about 1.3m. I’d say the 26m spunked during Bilic’s tenure on Zohore and Grant was way more damaging to the club.
Being brutally honest 
(03-22-2024, 08:06 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: Bruce and pardew on par with Rose and Fred west in killing the club stakes .

That's what I think China. I can't think of 2 worse  and we have plenty of candidates.
(03-22-2024, 09:52 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: As inept as he was as a coach tactically, he did sign the players I listed for a combined fee of about 1.3m. I’d say the 26m spunked during Bilic’s tenure on Zohore and Grant was way more damaging to the club.

OK, true, but....Wallace and Swift were top performers in the Champ, out of contract and we had the money to sign them. I doubt Bruce had seen much of either in the flesh. Yokuslo was known to everyone at the club. BTA was recommended by Bruce's son in law and cost next to nothing for a position we were desperate for. Pieters? Probably used the same pizza takeaway. 
Just because Bilic and whoever had a disastrous spending war and destroyed our promotion budget, doesn't make that inept simpleton an asset to the club. We may as well say Ron Saunders, single handedly destroyed our team, decimated the promising reserve side, filled the team with donkeys and gave the dings their record goalscorer at a time we could have done with one and bought them back from the dead. But...he got us Don Goodman..
(03-22-2024, 10:52 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 09:52 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote: As inept as he was as a coach tactically, he did sign the players I listed for a combined fee of about 1.3m. I’d say the 26m spunked during Bilic’s tenure on Zohore and Grant was way more damaging to the club.

OK, true, but....Wallace and Swift were top performers in the Champ, out of contract and we had the money to sign them. I doubt Bruce had seen much of either in the flesh. Yokuslo was known to everyone at the club. BTA was recommended by Bruce's son in law and cost next to nothing for a position we were desperate for. Pieters? Probably used the same pizza takeaway. 
Just because Bilic and whoever had a disastrous spending war and destroyed our promotion budget, doesn't make that inept simpleton an asset to the club. We may as well say Ron Saunders, single handedly destroyed our team, decimated the promising reserve side, filled the team with donkeys and gave the dings their record goalscorer at a time we could have done with one and bought them back from the dead. But...he got us Don Goodman..

Yes, Bruce was lucky in the transfer/signings market.  The Pieters story is even better.  He is Bruce’s neighbour and he apparently “spoke to him over the garden fence” when he was out of contract and invited him in to training. 

Bruce of course was inept at getting a tune out of the squad, but by hook or by crook and a lot of luck he did unearth several players for nothing or next to nothing who have proved to be very good value.
(03-23-2024, 10:47 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Yes, Bruce was lucky in the transfer/signings market.  The Pieters story is even better.  He is Bruce’s neighbour and he apparently “spoke to him over the garden fence” when he was out of contract and invited him in to training. 

Bruce of course was inept at getting a tune out of the squad, but by hook or by crook and a lot of luck he did unearth several players for nothing or next to nothing who have proved to be very good value.

No surprise that we "drifted" through games, for want of a better term, under Bruce. He is very much the "put your best players on the pitch and let them play" type of manager, with no apparent thought about tactics until his hand is forced, such as playing for a 0-0 at home to Luton in order to stop the goals going into our net.

Wallace and Swift were on everyone's radar and didn't Yokuslu make it known he'd be interested in coming back?

BTA and Pieters were not "found" by Bruce as given to him on a plate.

He may have brought in some decent players but, as said, it is hardly a testament to his ability.
(03-23-2024, 10:47 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:

It’s fair that history will say Bruce did well in recruitment and convinced players like Swift and Wallace to join with other interest, however it’s hardly down to his scouting network. Most fans knew about these players and had Ian Pearce managed to get off his fat arse he’d have known about BTA and Pieters.  We also were able to offer wages above what most of the competition were offering.

Bruce added absolutely zero value during his tenure. I’m sure Gourlay and Pearce would have brought the same lads in had a different boss been in the dugout.