Glasto
(03-14-2024, 11:06 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 10:54 AM)richbaggie Wrote: There is the usual backlash on social media about the line up, it's been same every year since the early 2000's. However, I don't think it's just Glasto getting stick. Most of the main festivals are looking quite tired. I think the industry has a problem in general. The music scene is really strong in terms of new music and bands/artists developing to medium sized bands. I have been to smaller venues like the Hare and Hounds and Castle and Falcon quite a lot this year and there is a lot of great stuff out there. The Academy and Institute seem to be thriving based on gigs i have been at.

This is why many of the smaller festivals look good on paper, it's made up of the small to middling bands, often on the up.

It's the next level up that is the issue. There are very few bands making that transition to arena. The arena tours are on the whole, bands that have been around for a long time. So the big festivals are struggling with fresh headliners or they are going down the safe Radio 1 audience route.

I personally think that bands like Idles and Fontaines could headline Glastonbury but it wouldn't go down well in a lot of quarters as they are too rough around the edges. 

Finally, I know it's a cliche but it really isn't just about the music. I could quite easily spend the 5 days in the South East Corner, Cabaret Field and Greenfields and know I would have an unbelievable time.

Yup, all true. Personally I’ve no issue with either Dua or SZA being given the shot, both are precisely the sort of up and coming acts the festival should be looking to bring in. Neither are to my taste but that’s fine, I’d probably be at Fontaines and The National anyway. It’s booking Coldplay for the fifth time this millennium that’s piss poor.

According to wiki, SZA has released 2 albums. It could be a long 2 hours.

Personally I think IDLES could have stepped up to take that slot but I guess the organisers thought they might not be appealing enough for a live BBC audience.
(03-15-2024, 07:52 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Is colourblocks v numberjacks the equivalent of Everton v Man City for faux rivalry?

It’s more manufactured than Brighton v Palace.
In the form of his life.
(03-15-2024, 08:30 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 10:54 AM)richbaggie Wrote: There is the usual backlash on social media about the line up, it's been same every year since the early 2000's. However, I don't think it's just Glasto getting stick. Most of the main festivals are looking quite tired. I think the industry has a problem in general. The music scene is really strong in terms of new music and bands/artists developing to medium sized bands. I have been to smaller venues like the Hare and Hounds and Castle and Falcon quite a lot this year and there is a lot of great stuff out there. The Academy and Institute seem to be thriving based on gigs i have been at.

This is why many of the smaller festivals look good on paper, it's made up of the small to middling bands, often on the up.

It's the next level up that is the issue. There are very few bands making that transition to arena. The arena tours are on the whole, bands that have been around for a long time. So the big festivals are struggling with fresh headliners or they are going down the safe Radio 1 audience route.

I personally think that bands like Idles and Fontaines could headline Glastonbury but it wouldn't go down well in a lot of quarters as they are too rough around the edges. 

Finally, I know it's a cliche but it really isn't just about the music. I could quite easily spend the 5 days in the South East Corner, Cabaret Field and Greenfields and know I would have an unbelievable time.

Yup, all true. Personally I’ve no issue with either Dua or SZA being given the shot, both are precisely the sort of up and coming acts the festival should be looking to bring in. Neither are to my taste but that’s fine, I’d probably be at Fontaines and The National anyway. It’s booking Coldplay for the fifth time this millennium that’s piss poor.

Personally I think IDLES could have stepped up to take that slot but I guess the organisers thought they might not be appealing enough for a live BBC audience.

I don't think Idles are, or ever will be, big enough to headline Glastonbury (plus everything from album 3 onwards is bobbins). To headline the Pyramid you need both critical acclaim and mainstream success, not sue Idles are anywhere near the level required.

For comparison SZA is headlining a gig in Hyde Park this summer, whereas Idles still play academies.
Further to my earlier post, here is a good overview of why record companies are struggling to break new artists:

https://medium.com/@tunesandtales/the-re...842a67be24
(03-15-2024, 10:14 AM)Squid Wrote: Further to my earlier post, here is a good overview of why record companies are struggling to break new artists:

Hits a lots of nails on the head. I will add the death of the "development record deal" in the late 90's/early 00's hasn't helped either. To even be considered for a deal you social media and spotify stats need to add up, you need to be a graphic designer/video editor and social media expert as well as writing your music. It's staggering the amount of small to mid sized bands that have members who have day jobs as well.
In the form of his life.
(03-15-2024, 10:25 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 10:14 AM)Squid Wrote: Further to my earlier post, here is a good overview of why record companies are struggling to break new artists:

Hits a lots of nails on the head. I will add the death of the "development record deal" in the late 90's/early 00's hasn't helped either. To even be considered for a deal you social media and spotify stats need to add up, you need to be a graphic designer/video editor and social media expert as well as writing your music. It's staggering the amount of small to mid sized bands that have members who have day jobs as well.
All of that makes sense but there is the further complication of mainstream media trends. We have moved from the relatively simple system of musicians covering stuff, writing their own material, performing small, then larger venues, getting record deals etc. In other words, learning their trade and growing organically.  Now the likes of Waterman, Cowell and co have a free reign to repeat the same tired old formula of covering songs based simply on "It sold before, we can sell it again". It is hard to make a living as a musician playing original material because original is not familiar to audiences and has no previous sales figures. Sadly, covers bands make a better day to day living than some very talented artists who suffer from being given few opportunities.
(03-15-2024, 01:08 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

All of that makes sense but there is the further complication of mainstream media trends. We have moved from the relatively simple system of musicians covering stuff, writing their own material, performing small, then larger venues, getting record deals etc. In other words, learning their trade and growing organically.  Now the likes of Waterman, Cowell and co have a free reign to repeat the same tired old formula of covering songs based simply on "It sold before, we can sell it again". It is hard to make a living as a musician playing original material because original is not familiar to audiences and has no previous sales figures. Sadly, covers bands make a better day to day living than some very talented artists who suffer from being given few opportunities.

I’d say the Simon Cowell tv talent show route has pretty much died now. Ten years ago Saturday night telly was dominated by that shite but it’s completely fallen out of favour now.
(03-15-2024, 01:43 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 01:08 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

I’d say the Simon Cowell tv talent show route has pretty much died now. Ten years ago Saturday night telly was dominated by that shite but it’s completely fallen out of favour now.
But the business model remains, is the point.
(03-15-2024, 09:21 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-15-2024, 08:30 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:

I don't think Idles are, or ever will be, big enough to headline Glastonbury (plus everything from album 3 onwards is bobbins). To headline the Pyramid you need both critical acclaim and mainstream success, not sue Idles are anywhere near the level required.

For comparison SZA is headlining a gig in Hyde Park this summer, whereas Idles still play academies.

I understand what you're saying and perhaps it's a reflection of how the festival has evolved but I'm old enough to remember Pulp being promoted to headliners at the last minute having just released their first top 10 hit and smashing it. I saw IDLES deliver a blistering set in Brum last year.If you're good enough, you're big enough. They're good enough to headline the other stage.