Glasto
(03-14-2024, 09:56 AM)richbaggie Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 09:33 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 09:17 AM)richbaggie Wrote: Pyramid is a shocker bar LCD but there's plenty at the Other Stage, Woodsies and Park to fill my time until the fun starts at midnight. Just need a ticket on resale.

LCD deserve a far better slot than trying gamely to a bunch of bored people waiting for Dua Lipa.

Beck had exactly the same problem before Coldplay a few years back.

LCD would be better headlining Other Saturday night with Disclosure subbing Lipa.

I was thinking more swapping LCD and Idles (although an LCD/Fontaines clash could fuck right off).

More I look at it the more it looks like there's been some last minute juggling. SZA's been bumped from Other to Pyramid and Idles have been moved into her place.
There is the usual backlash on social media about the line up, it's been same every year since the early 2000's. However, I don't think it's just Glasto getting stick. Most of the main festivals are looking quite tired. I think the industry has a problem in general. The music scene is really strong in terms of new music and bands/artists developing to medium sized bands. I have been to smaller venues like the Hare and Hounds and Castle and Falcon quite a lot this year and there is a lot of great stuff out there. The Academy and Institute seem to be thriving based on gigs i have been at.

This is why many of the smaller festivals look good on paper, it's made up of the small to middling bands, often on the up.

It's the next level up that is the issue. There are very few bands making that transition to arena. The arena tours are on the whole, bands that have been around for a long time. So the big festivals are struggling with fresh headliners or they are going down the safe Radio 1 audience route.

I personally think that bands like Idles and Fontaines could headline Glastonbury but it wouldn't go down well in a lot of quarters as they are too rough around the edges.

Finally, I know it's a cliche but it really isn't just about the music. I could quite easily spend the 5 days in the South East Corner, Cabaret Field and Greenfields and know I would have an unbelievable time.
True all that pal.

But this is a particularly tired line up for a festival that is resting on the wrong things and has been for too long now
Someone could have been killed
I’ve noticed that each year there are more and more festivals.

This years there’s one in centenary sq Brum on a weekend with OCS headlining the Sunday
I told you I’ll be back
(03-14-2024, 10:58 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: True all that pal.

But this is a particularly tired line up for a festival that is resting on the wrong things and has been for too long now

I agree, although there is still a huge amount that I would pay to see on their own at Woodsies, The Park (The Mary Wallopers will win the whole festival with their gig), West Holts and Other Stage. It is still the best festival for strength in depth.  Thats without knowing the dance line ups which will be belting.
(03-14-2024, 10:54 AM)richbaggie Wrote: There is the usual backlash on social media about the line up, it's been same every year since the early 2000's. However, I don't think it's just Glasto getting stick. Most of the main festivals are looking quite tired. I think the industry has a problem in general. The music scene is really strong in terms of new music and bands/artists developing to medium sized bands. I have been to smaller venues like the Hare and Hounds and Castle and Falcon quite a lot this year and there is a lot of great stuff out there. The Academy and Institute seem to be thriving based on gigs i have been at.

This is why many of the smaller festivals look good on paper, it's made up of the small to middling bands, often on the up.

It's the next level up that is the issue. There are very few bands making that transition to arena. The arena tours are on the whole, bands that have been around for a long time. So the big festivals are struggling with fresh headliners or they are going down the safe Radio 1 audience route.

I personally think that bands like Idles and Fontaines could headline Glastonbury but it wouldn't go down well in a lot of quarters as they are too rough around the edges. 

Finally, I know it's a cliche but it really isn't just about the music. I could quite easily spend the 5 days in the South East Corner, Cabaret Field and Greenfields and know I would have an unbelievable time.

Yup, all true. Personally I’ve no issue with either Dua or SZA being given the shot, both are precisely the sort of up and coming acts the festival should be looking to bring in. Neither are to my taste but that’s fine, I’d probably be at Fontaines and The National anyway. It’s booking Coldplay for the fifth time this millennium that’s piss poor.
The Coldplay thing is a joke.

The festival is still great value - if you can find 2 grand for myself and the 2 kids
Someone could have been killed
(03-14-2024, 11:23 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: The Coldplay thing is a joke.

The festival is still great value - if you can find 2 grand for myself and the 2 kids

My kids can keep going until they're 13... then they have to pay for their own tickets.
(03-14-2024, 11:53 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 11:23 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: The Coldplay thing is a joke.

My kids can keep going until they're 13... then they have to pay for their own tickets.

I bet they can't wait until their 13, based on that line-up  Big Grin Big Grin

Yes I know I'm getting older, but there are absolutely no "stadium fillers" on that list, compared to previous years.
(03-14-2024, 09:31 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 09:02 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 08:44 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I’m looking forward to it!!

I’m going to pitch my tent at the end of my garden and put my small tv in my living room that I can watch from my tent, in order to get the true Glastonbury experience. Big Grin

Don't forget the hosepipe with a sprinkler head attachment hooked up to a tap. And wellies  Wink .

Big Grin

I forgot, I will also use a porta pottie and not flush it.

Where do I send my 1/3rd of a grand?

And to organise a bunch of idiots with big fuck off flags to obscure your view even further.